NASL 2018-19 Season-Cancelled-3 Clubs to NPSL for 2018

NASL ANNOUNCES MOVE TO INTERNATIONAL CALENDAR

NASL will become the first U.S. professional soccer league to operate in line with global soccer calendar

The NASL announced that it will adopt the international calendar beginning with the 2018-19 Season with a planned kickoff on August 11, 2018 and conclusion on June 1, 2019. The change is pending the outcome on the NASL's appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals. Due to the decision of the United States Soccer Federation to revoke the NASL's Division II sanctioning, the NASL will be unable to operate the 2018 Spring Season. 

The NASL and its member clubs believe that a shift to the international calendar will bring another level of excitement to fans and offer greater development opportunities for players and clubs across the country.  The NASL will become the first professional league in the United States to adopt the format used by the leading soccer leagues around the world. 

I really don't think NASL is going to last until August anyway. From what I can tell, USL are pushing hard to get Indy and Jacksonville to jump ship (or get a new USL team in Jax) - leaving Miami and NY Cosmos essentially on their own (with Puerto Rico and two expansion teams from California).

On 1/8/2018 at 8:10 PM, Prune_55 said:

Unbelievably stupid. Their 'winter break' will be 4 times longer than the offseason. 

Offseason on the current spring-fall was about 3 1/2 months, winter break on the fifa calender schedule would likely be about 10-12 weeks (early Dec to early March).

Wouldn't really be as big a deal as it first may seem, MLS finishes around 1st week of Dec and starts around first week of March.

6 hours ago, David C. said:

I really don't think NASL is going to last until August anyway. From what I can tell, USL are pushing hard to get Indy and Jacksonville to jump ship (or get a new USL team in Jax) - leaving Miami and NY Cosmos essentially on their own (with Puerto Rico and two expansion teams from California).

Jacksonville had a press conference yesterday and said there not going USL, they're model doesn't fit the owners vision.

USL going head to head with established Jacksonville would not end well, just like when they tried to go against Tampa Bay NASL club. 

18 hours ago, yothat said:

Jacks Cosmos PRFC San DIego should just move to the USL and try be the best Div. 2 possible and ignore MLS

But they're owners of the NASL so why would they fold their business and join another league owned by a private company with its restrictions and a model they don't believe in? Not to mention it would cost them millions and most USL teams are losing money as well.

Hard for USL to ignore MLS as well as they are MLS's minor league with its affiliate and reserve teams.

I do agree that it would be great to have a separate USL forum (or merge it into a combined NASL-USL forum).

No need to close the NASL one though. Despite looking bleak, NASL is still a going concern, that will undoubtedly have ongoing news and discussions over the upcoming weeks/months. Cheers!

The move of the Indy Eleven from the NASL to the USL is most likely the final nail in the coffin for this league. San Diego has indicated it will not commence operations before 2019, only two of the five "confirmed" teams have head coaches (Jacksonville and Puerto Rico, and Puerto Rico only has an interim head coach).

The rapid demise of the NASL must rest squarely on the shoulders of the New York Cosmos and former commissioner David Peterson. At a time (2013-16) when the league should have been working on developing the franchises it had and bringing on stable new teams, the Cosmos and Peterson embarked on a full-on challenge of MLS.  The Cosmos picked up where their ill-fated name-sakes of the original league left off, signing high-priced talent and dominating the league.  The domination of the Cosmos over the past few years diluted the competitiveness of the league, caused other teams to adopt the same reckless behaviour and others folded instead of playing this foolish game.

The NASL was wrong to expand to New York in the first place.  By 2013, when the Cosmos joined the league, plans were already underway to bring NYCFC into MLS, meaning the New York market was essentially saturated at the MLS level.  Furthermore, MLS had made it clear since day one that they were not interested in associating themselves with the Cosmos.  Based on this the Cosmos joined the provisional division two league in the hopes of making it a competitor to MLS rather than helping it become an established division two league.

In 2013, with a number of cities interested in joining the NASL, the league could have worked on consolidating it place as the pre-eminent tier two league.  It is very possible that, if the NASL had got its house in order, defections from the USL could have occurred.  The potential even existed for additional Canadian teams in the NASL, unfortunately poor leadership and a wasteful challenge of MLS sealed the league's fate.  It is ironic that the year that may very well mark the demise of the new NASL (2018) is the 50th anniversary of the launch of the original league.

• 3 weeks later...

And maybe not even then. There's creative options for the NASL even if the judge rules against their appeal to operate for 2018 that don't include being a rogue league which the NASL has stated they won't do.

Meanwhile, The Miami FC and Jacksonville Armada are joining the NPSL for the short April- July season they play, using it as a means of keeping the clubs playing and preparing for a possible 2018-19 season under the new FIFA calender schedule setup the NASL has adopted (and NISA is rumored to be switching to as well). NISA will be applying for sanctioning for its league in the next 2 weeks with USSF. Jacksonville and the Miami FC also still still remain members of NASL and Miami FC's NPSL club is named the Miami FC 2 to distinguish this. Armada already had a NPSL club and will likely use that name still (Jacksonville Armada u23) or alter it slightly for NPSL use.

In wake of NASL turmoil, Armada to join NPSL for spring of 2018

“My No. 1 priority was to ensure that the Armada would play soccer in 2018,” Palmer said in a statement.

The move comes in the wake of continued turmoil for the NASL, which was stripped of its second-division status from the U.S. Soccer Federation in September and has lost most of its franchises since the end of 2016.

The league continues to await the appeal of its bid for a court injunction that seeks to restore that second-division status. That case was argued in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on Dec. 15.

Palmer hasn’t ruled out the possibility of playing in the Armada’s original league later this year. The NASL has said previously that it intends to resume play in August on a fall-to-spring calendar.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/armada-fc/2018-01-30/wake-nasl-turmoil-armada-join-npsl-spring-2018

Miami FC Hires Paul Dalglish as New Head Coach, formerly of Ottawa Fury

The Miami Football Club has hired Paul Dalglish as its new head coach, the club announced Thursday. Dalglish becomes the second head coach in club history.

The son of legendary Scotland international, Celtic and Liverpool forward Kenny Dalglish, Paul enjoyed a successful playing career through the ranks of the Premier League and the Scottish Premiership before heading to the MLS in 2006. He won the MLS Cup twice with the Houston Dynamo in both of his seasons with the club, in 2006 and 2007.

After working in the Houston Dynamo Academy in 2009, Dalglish began his coaching career as manager of the Tampa Bay Rowdies in 2010. From 2012 to 2013, he managed the Austin Aztex of the the PDL. Under Dalglish's tutelage, the Aztex reached the Conference Finals in 2012 and won the league championship in 2013, a year in which Dalglish was named the PDL Coach of the Year. Dalglish became an assistant coach with Real Salt Lake in 2014, before returning to lead the Aztex in early 2015. In November of that year, Dalglish was named Head Coach and General Manager of Ottawa Fury FC. After two seasons with Ottawa, Dalglish has joined The Miami FC and looks to continue the team's success from last season.

I have been ignoring NASL since FC Edmonton dropped out, but went to their site to see if it was going to play this year, and that’s when I saw this news. I wonder if they were talking about this switch before Edmonton left or not. I imagine the prospect of playing games in December through February would probably be a deal breaker for a city like Edmonton. Otherwise, it could be something that NASL has wanted to do for a long time and are only now able to do it with Edmonton out. New York is their only cold weather team remaining. Seems like this switch gains you nothing in the long term and limits your possible expansion sites in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/01/2018 at 6:25 PM, Blackdude said:

Should we close the NASL forum? I mean we had it because the Impact and then FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury were in this league. Now we have no Canadian teams in this. 

Exactly. This discussion should be moved to World Soccer. There are no Canadian teams in this league anymore.

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Best not to move it, keep it as is for historical purposes as Canadian clubs have a history in the NASL.

Whoever doesn't want to view it just don't bother checking this forum, simple as that!

Or I could just ignore you and it would do the same thing. 

I still find it interesting whether this league will survive or not and in what form if it does survive so I would prefer it to keep its own thread until that is apparent. It is hard not to have some interest in a league that was such a big part of Canadian soccer for such a long time. 

Archived