Canada vs USA on Thursday November 9th in Vancouver

Possible conflict here.  The CANWNT play on November 9, 2017 and the first round of the 2017 NCAA Division 1 Women's Soccer Championship begins on November 10, 2017:

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/soccer-women/d1/road-to-the-championship

What if a particular College Cup-bound school wants their players fresh for November 10th and not playing a match on November 9th?  So if their respective schools are slated to play in  the US national tournament then it's possible that Jessie Fleming (UCLA ), Rebecca Quinn ( Duke )  and  Deanne Rose ( University of Florida ) may not be available for CANWNT match in Vancouver..

5 hours ago, tc-in-bc said:

Possible conflict here.  The CANWNT play on November 9, 2017 and the first round of the 2017 NCAA Division 1 Women's Soccer Championship begins on November 10, 2017:

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/soccer-women/d1/road-to-the-championship

What if a particular College Cup-bound school wants their players fresh for November 10th and not playing a match on November 9th?  So if their respective schools are slated to play in  the US national tournament then it's possible that Jessie Fleming (UCLA ), Rebecca Quinn ( Duke )  and  Deanne Rose ( University of Florida ) may not be available for CANWNT match in Vancouver..

Not that I know what any particular athletic directors would choose to do here, but first round NCAA games for higher seeds (which one would imagine UCLA, Duke and Florida would all be) tend to be blowouts, so it's possible the schools would let them go (if Canada were to call them - there is also enough depth in the player pool just let them stay at their schools regardless). 

[ 1 ] If those three schools are in the NCAA tournament and they're scheduled to play on November 10th, 2017 then there really isn't enough recovery time for the Canadians to play in both matches. It's either one or the other.

[ 2  ] My sense, is that the US schools believe that their playoff matches are more important than Canada's friendly--  where nothing  is really at stake. Furthermore, first round upsets do happen ( eg. SIUE vs Notre Dame last year). The fear for UCLA would be that they run into a hot goalkeeper ; they can't score a goal and their best weapon (Jessie  Fleming) is unavailable because she's playing with Canada.

[ 3 ] I think  CANWNT's best 11 could get a result against the USWNT but take Fleming and Rose out of the mix ( both are starters who were key to Canada's 2016 bronze medal win ) then  I think getting a result against the USWNT becomes more uncertain. Furthermore, I don't think Canada has the depth to replace Fleming and Rose and get an equal performance. Depth is one of the principle reasons why Canada has trouble beating the US. When teams begin subbing in fresh legs, Canada is subbing in kids who are amateurs (playing in school) whereas the US are subbing adults in their prime, playing professionally and often world class difference-makers.

[ 1 ]   Funny, the November 9 , 2017 and November 12, 2017   match dates work for the men's FIFA  Calendar but clearly fall outside the November 20-28,  FIFA dates for the women's FIFA calendar:

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/women/02/77/10/17/internationalwomenscalendar2017_2018_2019_neutral.pdf

So possibly no Sophie Schmidt or Shannon Woeller , as well as Buchanan and Lawrence.

[ 2 ] Looks like these matches with the US are like the 2015  Pan Am Games or the 2016 U20 WWC -- more about teaching/ player development and less about winning.

[ 3 ] So potentially no Buchanan, Lawrence, Schmidt, Woeller, Fleming, Rose, and Quinn. This could get ugly.

• 1 month later...

[ 1 ]  Since the Damallsvenskan restart, Erin McLeod seems to have asserted herself as the number one keeper at Rosengard. Today Rosengard won the Svenska Cupen and Erin McLeod posted a clean sheet ! At 34 years of age is McLeod  still in the goalie mix? Is she still viable for 2019/2020  ?  More currently, will Erin Mcleod  be part of one or both of CANWNT's matches again the USWNT? 

[ 2 ]  Setting aside the FIFA date issue.  Rosengard's schedule is problematic for Erin McLeod ( possibly Jenna Hellstrom as well if she gets a call up  ).  It is likely ( though not certain ) that Rosengard will be playing  in the UWCL Round of 16 which is scheduled for November 8 -9, 2017. Additionally, Rosengard have  two November league fixtures scheduled :

November 4, 2017      Kvarnsveden  vs   Rosengard

November 11, 2017    Rosengard    vs     Hammarby.

[ 1 ]  Setting aside the  FIFA date issue,  1 FFC Frankfurt and Sophie Schmidt have  Wolfsburg on November 11, 2017.  Frankfurt may want to keep all their players for that one.

[ 2 ]  I don't recall  seeing the senior CANWNT get a victory over the USWNT ever ,  in the Christine Sinclair era. Not in person, not on television, not on an internet stream.  In fact, is there any video evidence of the senior CANWNT getting a victory over the USWNT in the Christine Sinclair era?  In this calendar year alone, I have seen both England and Australia get victories  over the USWNT. Admittedly, I'm jealous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M467Z9M9y4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faS0NuD8DBU

1 hour ago, tc-in-bc said:

[ 2 ]  I don't recall  seeing the senior CANWNT get a victory over the USWNT ever ,  in the Christine Sinclair era. Not in person, not on television, not on an internet stream.  In fact, is there any video evidence of the senior CANWNT getting a victory over the USWNT in the Christine Sinclair era?  In this calendar year alone, I have seen both England and Australia get victories  over the USWNT. Admittedly, I'm jealous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M467Z9M9y4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faS0NuD8DBU

Sinclair scored against the US in a Canada win. Now, it wasn't the Sinclair era, because well she was still a teen. There is probably video evidence of that.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/12/14/u-s-women-to-celebrate-year-of-success-with-three-game-three-city-glory-tour

http://canadasoccer.com/?gid=586&t=match

I don't think many Canadians saw that match live.  ESPN is  not Canadian broadcaster;  the 8600 fans in Crew Stadium, Columbus were probably mostly Americans; and in the year 2000,  the CANWNT were still toiling  away anonymously  in public obscurity. Personally,  I'd love to see the ESPN  footage of that match ( the whole match would be even better! )  Maybe it's buried somewhere on YouTube or  maybe it needs to be uploaded. Who knows?  But I've never seen Sinclair's group beat the USWNT  live, and any Canadian who saw that match in 2000  live,  basically " won the lottery" . It's that rare.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[ 1 ]    Melissa Tancredi and Desiree Scott interview on the For Kicks Podcast:

https://forkickspodcast.com/2017/10/27/for-kicks-podcast-episode-32-chat-with-desiree-scott-and-melissa-tancredi/

- Desiree Scott  quote taken from the For Kicks Podcast  beginning at the 10:12 mark:

"  We're having our camp October 28 .. .we all get together. So the majority of the squad will be there. There's still some things they're working out with the European players  'cause we're dealing with FIFA dates and stuff. So hopefully, we can get those players in, but if not, we're going to have a solid squad ... the core group there.  And hopefully we get the job done. "

[ 2 ]  I got to wonder about a CANWNT'  back line if  Kadeisha Buchanan is not there  and the USWNT have so much pace on their team : Alex Morgan, Christen Press, Lynn Williams, Mallory Pugh. (  Crystal Dunn is fast but  Chelsea Ladies  are probably not going to let her go outside a FIFA date )  

[ 3 ]  Side note:  Sydney LeRoux 's  regular season  stats  ( 6 goals, 2 assists, 14 points  ) on a bad FCKC team may not be good enough for a USWNT  call up but she's  only 2 points behind Sinclair and 4 points behind Leon.

Wondering if Geneviève Richard and Ashley Lawrence would be available for the match. Yes, it's not a FIFA date, but they aren't in Champions' League and the cup matches don't start until January for D1 clubs. If I'm Herdman, I'm calling Patrice Lair and Christophe Parra to see if it's possible. I think seeing that Steph Labbé is with the team would mean probably no for Richard though.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:36 PM, Benjamin Massey said:

Interestingly, I saw today that the American Outlaws are holding their pregame at Doolin's, our usual pre-game spot, and appear to be following our usual marching route. Given that this is Vancouver I'm sure there will be some actual away support.

Wow this makes me really angry.  I'm extra disappointed that I can't go now.  We are still gathering at Doolins right?

3 hours ago, MrsC said:

Wow this makes me really angry.  I'm extra disappointed that I can't go now.  We are still gathering at Doolins right?

No.

Voyageurs pre-game Thursday is Red Card, 560 Smithe St. (two blocks from Doolin's, just past the corner of Smithe and Seymour).

[ 1  ] Roster

Canada Soccer Women’s National Team Roster for USA Friendly Series (Vancouver and San Jose)
Head Coach John Herdman
GK Stephanie Labbe, age 31, from Stony Plain, AB/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
GK Sabrina D’Angelo, age 24, from Welland, ON/ North Carolina Courage (NWSL)
GK Kailen Sheridan, age 22, from Whitby, ON/ Sky Blue FC (NWSL)
FB Lindsay Agnew, age 22, from Kingston, ON/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
FB Allysha Chapman, age 28, from Courtice, ON/ Boston Breakers (NWSL)
FB Jayde Riviere, age 16, from Markham, ON/ Markham Soccer Club (OPDL) & Vancouver Whitecaps FC Girls Elite/ Canada Soccer Regional EXCEL Super Centre (British Columbia)
CB Shelina Zadorsky, age 25, from London, ON/ Washington Spirit (NWSL)
CB Rebecca Quinn, age 22, from Toronto, ON/ Duke University (NCAA)
CB Ariel Young, age 16, from Ottawa, ON/ Ottawa Fury and Canada Soccer Regional EXCEL Super Centre (Ontario)
M Jessie Fleming, age 19, from London, ON/UCLA (NCAA)
M Julia Grosso, age 17, from Vancouver, BC/ Vancouver Whitecaps FC Girls Elite/ Canada Soccer Regional EXCEL Super Centre (British Columbia)
M/FB Maegan Kelly, age 25, from Kansas City, MO & Toronto, ON/ FC Kansas City (NWSL)
M Desiree Scott, age 30, from Winnipeg, MB/ FC Kansas City (NWSL)
F Christine Sinclair, age 34, from Burnaby, BC/ Portland Thorns (NWSL)
F Janine Beckie, age 23, from Highlands Ranch, CO/ Houston Dash (NWSL)
F Deanne Rose, age 18, from Alliston, ON/ University of Florida Gators (NCAA)
F Adriana Leon, age 25, from King City, ON/ Boston Breakers (NWSL)
F Nichelle Prince, age 22, from Ajax, ON/ Houston Dash (NWSL)
F Jordyn Huitema, age 16, from Chilliwack, BC/ Vancouver Whitecaps FC Girls Elite/ Canada Soccer Regional EXCEL Super Centre (British Columbia)

[ 2  ]  No  Buchanan , Lawrence , Schmidt , Woeller,  or McLeod.  NCAA players in.  American Maegan Kelly in the mix and lot of  EXCEL kids.

[ 3 ]  Match live  on TSN1

https://www.canadasoccer.com/roster-canada-soccer-s-women-s-national-team-unleashes-young-guns-for-derby-with-usa--p161243

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

Am I correct to remember something about S. Labbe having retired from playing.

She took a medical leave of absence (not sure if that's exactly how it was phrased but something like that) from the Spirit for the last month or so of the season but I don't remember anything about a retirement. 

Archived