Canada vs USA on Thursday November 9th in Vancouver

1-1 is a good result against the US. I find it hard to get up for friendlies like these, but I got more into the game as it went on. Can't complain about a draw against the #1 ranked team in the world. Some more thoughts:

The good: Fleming and Lawrence just seem a class above everyone else on tonight's roster. Fleming is so composed in the midfield. Lawrence was quality on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Leon was fantastic in an aggressive role up top. Also, Quinn's strike off the bar that led to the Leon goal was top class.

The bad: Thought Beckie was poor on the night, outside of a good strike in the second half. Canadian defending was clunky on the US goal. Also how was Huitema getting laid out in the penalty box (resulting in a cut near her eye) not called a penalty?

The ugly: Kaylyn Kyle's debut on commentary. Sorry, but it wasn't good at all. I think she might be better in a sideline reporter type role to start, where she can plan what she is saying in advance.

I liked Rebecca Quinn in defense.  Don't believe any US player ever got past her and she was Johnny on the spot every time.  In the US their #12 Williams is she ever fast that made our girls looked as if their were standing in spite of them running full blast.

I didn't see the first 35 minutes and missed the US goal but I thought the team did a great job of closing down in midfield.  Lots of turnovers forced and they made the opposing central mids look pretty limited in the process.  Fleming looked really good to me: very comfortable in possession.  Lawrence is a class player but I guess I'm  one of the few holdouts who'd still  prefer to see her in midfield paired with Fleming and a destroyer (Scott or Quinn, who I thought looked good in the back) behind them both.  Glad to see Leon have a strong match and be back in the mix.  Hard nosed, aggressive type that we need.  Beckie's strong suit is her athleticism.  I still see a player with inconsistent technical skills but she has a big time burst and strength to go with a heavy shot.  Overall, I thought we played the better football in the 55+ minutes I watched.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

POTM: Razor close between Leon and Fleming but I'm going to give it to Leon.

Agreed with most of your post except for the part about Zadorsky.  I can't remember if she was the one who made the mistake on the goal, if it was her, it wasn't very good, but I want her on my team. 

The only two players I can recall from U19/20 a few years ago were her and Leon who I thought really stood out.  Seems to me there was also a forward whose name I can't recall who seems to have fallen off the radar.

I am Leon's biggest fan, I should have said so before the goal and I'd have looked like a genius :), I guess I did say that above.  I have liked her since her Bobby Orr reaction to scoring, she put her head down and walked away like "It's what I do, no big deal"  I missed the second half last night so maybe she went crazy when she scored, I hope not but she can be excused cuz that would be a big one.

Now for the sexist part of the post, I was preparing to not like KK2's commentary but for a first effort , AFAIK, it wasn't bad.  Once I got past her Zsa Zsa Gabor meets the Kardashians look, I thought she did ok.  She seemed willing to dole out the right amount of criticism to her former teammates which is something many find difficult to do.  But I have to say I only saw the first half.  KK1 was her usual un-informing self, I like her (not her choice in hairstyles) and not her mode of "reporting"  Sexist commentary over.

The Americans are no longer the intimidating force they once were.  They lost the cocky, cheating, do anything to win bitches that they used to have.  And before anybody goes pc on me that was meant as a supreme compliment.  They had some "tough broads" and aside from Tanc, we didn't.  All sports have elements of intimidation and they were intimidating.  The Americans have lost many of those players and we have gained a few.  You intimidate by force and/or talent, and we are starting to get a nice mix.  Ooops, sexist commentary now over.

I think we are not as strong in the back but that is the best offensive lineup Canada has ever had.  I love watching this team.

Canada played well, probably deserved to win on the night. Thought they pressed the US defence well, but our own defence was a bit shaky. Zadorsky is the obvious goat for the goal, but otherwise I thought she had a fine game. One criticism of the game plan is it felt like there were a lot of long balls played when there were other options and no one was really getting in the box, even when crosses were coming in from the wings. Fleming was POTM for me. Her ball control and passing were a cut above most others on the pitch - and she's not afraid to put a tackle in either!

Kudos to Leon for bashing the ball into the net, but it was a great assist by Sinclair that set that up.  No defender was expecting her to lob it back over her head toward Leon.  So, I'm going spread some of the love to Sinclair for that.

I'm also grateful that Lawrence was there to watch Rapinoe and then Press.  I don't think anyone else we have could have done the job so well.

1 hour ago, Oakenshield said:

Canada played well, probably deserved to win on the night. Thought they pressed the US defence well, but our own defence was a bit shaky. Zadorsky is the obvious goat for the goal, but otherwise I thought she had a fine game. One criticism of the game plan is it felt like there were a lot of long balls played when there were other options and no one was really getting in the box, even when crosses were coming in from the wings. Fleming was POTM for me. Her ball control and passing were a cut above most others on the pitch - and she's not afraid to put a tackle in either!

I would not put all the blame on Zadorsky for the goal.  Both defenders turned their back to Morgan.  IMO the real culprit is Labbe who tried to get away by just weakly punching the ball instead of grabbing it like a half decent keeper would do.  Her punching did not clear the danger and defending broke down from there on. 

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

IMO the real culprit is Labbe who tried to get away by just weakly punching the ball instead of grabbing it like a half decent keeper would do.

Quelle surprise!  And that last part really takes you into the ahole category.  And I guess we ignore that rocket she tipped over the goal?

So, I'm curious, what's with the Labbe agenda?  Spurned advances, wouldn't give you an autograph, what?  You've been at this a long time now.

It wasn't KK2's debut as she did colour for the Canada Games women's matches. There she was more critical but like most newbies, she kept on repeating a lot of things. Yesterday, she did repeat a lot of stuff and went with the line of Canada grit line too much since this team is beyond that. But she got better as the match progressed.

US looked very ordinary for #1 ranked team. The game breaker players that they used to have are gone and Alex Morgan seems to have petered out.

For Canada, played as a team better given we haven't been together since June - tells me Herdman is doing a good job.

Only disappointments at the player level were Prince & Rose. Fleming & Lawrence were stand outs. I had written Leon off after her World Cup performance, so it was good to see her become a legit starter now. Kelly was a pleasant surprise - could be used as a attacking fullback to replace Chapman or to move Lawrence into midfield.

With the 28k crowd, things are looking good on and off the pitch. Reading the US reaction, they're all envious of the position Canada is in. They're wondering why the US isn't producing all this young talent.

I don't know.  If Zadorsky and Labbe were that poor, how did that stacked US team only score one goal?  They had very few good chances on goal.  I think the score would have been very different if any of our players weren't good enough out there.  I'm not saying that all were brilliant; just that none were poor.

17 hours ago, red card said:

Only disappointments at the player level were Prince & Rose. Fleming & Lawrence were stand outs. I had written Leon off after her World Cup performance, so it was good to see her become a legit starter now. Kelly was a pleasant surprise - could be used as a attacking fullback to replace Chapman or to move Lawrence into midfield.

I think I have to agree with this.  Aside from speed which can be a tactic in itself, I'm not sure what they bring to the table.  When I think of the people I expect to come forward and produce or set up goals they don't come to mind for me.  I don't know if I'd use the word disappointment, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 7:30 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Agreed with most of your post except for the part about Zadorsky.

The only two players I can recall from U19/20 a few years ago were her and Leon who I thought really stood out.  Seems to me there was also a forward whose name I can't recall who seems to have fallen off the radar.

Jenna Richardson (25) Richmond FC and Oregon State, what happened to her and where is she now.  I really thought she would be on the big team

Also Aysha Jamani (30) was a talent, wonder what happened to her.

Archived