BREAKING NEWS: Rob Friend is leading the Fraser Valley bid in BC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fraser Valley is anything past Surrey, like Langley, Abbotsford, Maple Ridge, Chilliwack, Hope. I think most Vancouverites consider Fraser Valley anything past the Port Mann Bridge too.  Good luck to Rob Friend if he intends to try there.  i hope he has deep pocketed partner, cuz he'll need them

For those who don't know BC geography, this will not be a competitior to the Whitecaps. The Whitecaps draw almost entirely from Vancouver itself and a Fraser Valley stadium would likely be ~1.5 hours from central Vancouver on a good day.

Seems like a really strange move. The Fraser Valley isn't particularly high in population and has a poor history of supporting soccer. Also very unlikely they'll get anybody from Vancouver to travel.

35 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

For those who don't know BC geography, this will not be a competitior to the Whitecaps. The Whitecaps draw almost entirely from Vancouver itself and a Fraser Valley stadium would likely be ~1.5 hours from central Vancouver on a good day.

Seems like a really strange move. The Fraser Valley isn't particularly high in population and has a poor history of supporting soccer. Also very unlikely they'll get anybody from Vancouver to travel.

I've heard Vancouverites (or at least a Vancouverite) refer to the Vancouver suburbs as part of the valley...is that common usage at all? Would have thought Surrey or Burnaby would be the targets

The only city even approaching the 200k mark within the strict definition of the valley would be Kelowna...which seems like a riskier pick than going up against the VWC

26 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I've heard Vancouverites (or at least a Vancouverite) refer to the Vancouver suburbs as part of the valley...is that common usage at all? Would have thought Surrey or Burnaby would be the targets

The only city even approaching the 200k mark within the strict definition of the valley would be Kelowna...which seems like a riskier pick than going up against the VWC

Kelowna is in the Okanagan Valley, not the Fraser Valley. Nolbertos correctly stated the Fraser Valley ends at Hope (the eastern most area). My favourite part of this board is watching people make comments out of their ass when they don't know what they're talking about. Try again. 

Just now, nazzer said:

Kelowna is in the Okanagan Valley, not the Fraser Valley. Nolbertos correctly stated the Fraser Valley ends at Hope (the eastern most area). My favourite part of this board is watching people make comments out of their ass when they don't know what they're talking about. Try again. 

You know, I was asking for clarification of the term in my comment, clearly not pretending to be an expert

There is a good way to correct people, and there is a way to be unnecessarily hostile. I'd suggest the former next time.

Just now, Complete Homer said:

You know, I was asking for clarification of the term in my comment, clearly not pretending to be an expert

There is a good way to correct people, and there is a way to be unnecessarily hostile. I'd suggest the former next time.

No you didn't. "The only city even approaching the 200k mark within the strict definition of the valley would be Kelowna" You didn't ask anything about Kelowna. You stated what you thought was a fact. Try again. 

Just now, nazzer said:

No you didn't. "The only city even approaching the 200k mark within the strict definition of the valley would be Kelowna" You didn't ask anything about Kelowna. You stated what you thought was a fact. Try again. 

I literally said "is that common usage at all?", both acknowledging that I didn't know the exact usage of the term and asking for clarification

But go ahead, keep digging away at a pointless argument for its own sake, the board really needs more of that. Jeez.

8 minutes ago, nazzer said:

Holy shit, stop being an asswipe already.

Here to shed some light on the Fraser Valley. I grew up in Surrey and go out there for work once in a while. Technically and culturally it's south of the Fraser River to the American border and east of the burns bog from North Delta to Chilliwack. That's a population of close to 1 million. They project in the next 20 years 1.5 million new people will move to the lower mainland and 70% will end up in that area

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I would argue the poster was being a "dickhead". ;)

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

To actually answer your question...most Vancouverites use the phrase "the valley/Fraser Valley" in respect to East Langley through Chilliwack. Kelowna would be a risky city to put a team in, but so is the Fraser Valley. The valley has a storied hockey and music scene; there isn't a huge soccer pedigree. Also, you don't put a team in the Fraser Valley if you want to be "going up against the VWC", they definitely would have put the team in Surrey if that were the case. The valley is outside the average Vancouverites worldview. The difference between going to Surrey and Abbotsford is significant in terms of traffic, travel time, and public transportation. Surrey is to Vancouver as Hamilton is to Toronto, the Fraser Valley is to Vancouver as Niagara Falls is to Toronto. That's the best analogy I can come up with.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

To actually answer your question...most Vancouverites use the phrase "the valley/Fraser Valley" in respect to East Langley through Chilliwack. Kelowna would be a risky city to put a team in, but so is the Fraser Valley. The valley has a storied hockey and music scene; there isn't a huge soccer pedigree. Also, you don't put a team in the Fraser Valley if you want to be "going up against the VWC", they definitely would have put the team in Surrey if that were the case. The valley is outside the average Vancouverites worldview. The difference between going to Surrey and Abbotsford is significant in terms of traffic, travel time, and public transportation. Surrey is to Vancouver as Hamilton is to Toronto, the Fraser Valley is to Vancouver as Niagara Falls is to Toronto. That's the best analogy I can come up with.

so, and forgive my ignorance, is it possible that Fraser Valley in this case is actually Surrey, or somewhere on the outskirts of it?

If people want to see which communities make up the Fraser Valley I would recommend checking out the fvsl league website. The cross sections of teams are a pretty good example of  where this team would pull it's support from. I would say the leading contender for a stadium would be a renovation to the  Stetson Bowl at the Cloverdale Fairgrounds. There may be some better locations in a perfect world but this would be very realistic and very central to the entire Fraser valley

The actual Fraser Valley Regional District does not include Surrey, but it would be considered a part of the Fraser Valley by most. The population of Surrey was 472,000 in 2011, the official Fraser Valley Regional District(Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Mission etc.) was 278,000 in 2011. Combined it's actual big enough to support a team. Surrey really is the key. Most likely won't drive east, but they'll drive west (to Vancouver) and of course there's the sky train into the city as well.

Stadium wise

-There's Rotary Stadium in Abbotsford (4,500) real grass with a track.

-Exhibition Stadium in Chilliwack (2000) real grass

-Mcleod Athletic Park in Langley (2200) artificial turf and a track

Outside of The Fraser Valley Regional District but not right in Vancouver there's Swangard at Burnaby and Perry Percy Stadium in Coquitlam which used to seat 4,000 but I think has been downsized.

Of course all of that to say...is only if they don't build a pop up somewhere in Surrey or something like that.

28 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Drawing from Surrey will be key.

25 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

so, and forgive my ignorance, is it possible that Fraser Valley in this case is actually Surrey, or somewhere on the outskirts of it?

Quite possibly. Whenever I heard this rumour, it was always referred to as a team in the "Surrey/Langley" area.

27 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Unlikely, but possible. If the team is going to be called Fraser Valley, it will probably be in Langley or Abbotsford.

Somebody earlier mentioned if the area has a PCSL history. The support for the league in the Fraser Valley was...disappointing. There has historically been, and might still be, a stigma that soccer is a girls sport in the area. I believe the only PCSL affiliated teams that have survived more than a couple years in the Langely area have been women's teams. 

7 minutes ago, LAK said:

Stadium wise

-There's Rotary Stadium in Abbotsford (4,500) real grass with a track.

-Exhibition Stadium in Chilliwack (2000) real grass

-Mcleod Athletic Park in Langley (2200) artificial turf and a track

Does anyone else get a Swangard vibe with Rotary stadium? Not quite as picturesque of course, but it could work with the same touches Swangard had for Whitecaps games. 

579_1r9550_Rotary_Stadiumweb.jpg

Growing up playing sports in Surrey you're league or division was always called " The Fraser Valley" people living from North Delta to Chilliwack consider themselves to be living in The Valley. I mentioned it earlier but The Stetson Bowl and the entire Cloverdale Fairgrounds has long been something the city of Surrey has wanted to renovate. Not great for public transit but smack in the middle of The Fraser Valley 

Archived