Impact 2017 Season.

Dub Narcotic

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Whether under Klopas or Biello... imo, the team played better when Enzo Concina was there.

I hope the coaching staff changes are true, i'm really fed up with all the repetitive bad decisions and lack of jugement. It cant get much worse on that side

That's probably why they did so well in the Champions League and made the playoffs. Credit Cocina. 

23 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Whether under Klopas or Biello... imo, the team played better when Enzo Concina was there.

I hope the coaching staff changes are true, i'm really fed up with all the repetitive bad decisions and lack of jugement. It cant get much worse on that side

4 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

That's probably why they did so well in the Champions League and made the playoffs. Credit Cocina. 

Concina may have been good but I also think he is also given credit because people don't like to give Klopas his due. Klopas didn't come off publicly as a loveable guy, did not speak French or appear to make any effort to learn it and played an unimaginative, unattractive defensive style that was, however, effective. When we lost it was always Klopas' fault but when we won he was never given credit. When Klopas came in 2014 I am pretty sure he was not making many of the decisions and was the figurehead for NDS and Joey. Klopas really rebuilt the team after the disaster of 2014 and I think that he was allowed to do so because NDS had screwed up so much the previous year. 2015 was one of the few years that I though the coach of Impact was actually running the team, the other times I thought that were with Jesse Marsch and Limniatis neither of whom lasted long.

When Biello took over the team in 2015 we had a good run under him to make the playoffs and beat TFC in the first round before losing a close series with Columbus. I think Biello was more liked by the players and more inspirational than Klopas and the new coach effect worked. However, I think Klopas was better at player recruitment and evaluation and better at putting a tactic that suited the players he had. 2016 was not a very successful season other than the playoff run and some of Biello's deficiencies as coach started to show. I also think NDS came back into the picture a lot more and yes Concina also left before 2016. We barely made it into the playoffs after a mediocre year and our defending was much worse than in 2015. When we started the playoffs everyone was expecting us to be out in the first round after the season we had but we got hot and went on a 4 game run. However, the playoff system allows for fluke results of teams getting hot and last year's playoff results masked all the deficiencies we had during the season and our management thought because we won 4 playoff games we were a good team and did nothing in the off season to improve the team.

We lose a must win game to the worst team in the league. The only thing worse than our players is our coaching and management staff. The only thing worse than our coaching and management staff is our ownership. 10% rise in ticket prices for next year. Joey run the team properly for once or get the Fuck out. Tired of year after year of this shit.

They run this team like a BIG FREAKING JOKE! The team is utterly horrible! They're burnt out and seem lifeless. I'm tired of this crap and hearing they're still mathematically able to qualify I'm sorry but as much as I'd like for them to make it they've been dead in the water the last month and a half and don't deserve to make it. What for? They're just going to get creamed and the club will just feel justified without addressing the problems. They've been given so many opportunities to surpass the Red Bull's and have done squat! Freaking embarrassing. This game was served to them on a silver platter! They give away a golden opportunity with a man down. Lovitz with a stupid foul gets him ejected! Boldor is horrible! He makes stupid passes! Seriously just give up already. What a joke! Go ahead Joey raise your stinking ticket prices. Good luck getting butts in the stadium next year. JOKE!!!

28 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

What has happened to Ciman this year? It seems like he gets beat one-on-one for nearly every goal Montreal gives up.

Not only one-on-one but he's never marking right on headers either.  He was like this last year too though and cost us the 2nd leg against TFC. Just look at the highlights.

The guy has some skill but I'd never have him be my main CB and "general" of defense. I'd rather see him as a DM or RB.

14 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

They've been given so many opportunities to surpass the Red Bull's and have done squat! 

This is the one that i take note of.  Roughly 4-6 weeks ago, they were looking like a good bet for the play offs and maybe even a third place finish in the division.  Games in hand, tons of home games coming up and looking at facing  some beatable opponents.  Chicago, for example, were were on spiral downwards.  They had a good schedule.  But they go out and squander each of those chances against the likes of Minnesota (at home), NE and Col. 

So its not like they have been consistently bad all year. Otherwise, they would not have been in that position 4-6 weeks ago.

15 hours ago, Free kick said:

This is the one that i take note of.  Roughly 4-6 weeks ago, they were looking like a good bet for the play offs and maybe even a third place finish in the division.  Games in hand, tons of home games coming up and looking at facing  some beatable opponents.  Chicago, for example, were were on spiral downwards.  They had a good schedule.  But they go out and squander each of those chances against the likes of Minnesota (at home), NE and Col. 

So its not like they have been consistently bad all year. Otherwise, they would not have been in that position 4-6 weeks ago.

They have been consistently bad all year. Being one of several teams competing for the final playoff spot is not having a good season and we have spent most of the year outside the playoff zone and the only time we started to threaten to make the playoffs was the 4 game win streak in August that had a lot to do with Piette taking a lot of pressure off our very shaky defence. Those games we did win were mostly due to the individual efforts of Piatti and some late game heroics of AJH. We are a team that had a multitude of flaws that were clearly visible last year and were not corrected in the offseason because the good playoff run seemed to blind our incompetent management. If it wasn't for Piatti we would have been dead last all season.

Success in 2016 led to complacency in 2017 - re-signing and extending players who couldn't keep up this season.  Most of this is on management for not bringing in enough new young talent to push the older guys, in all positions.  Jackson is the only example where that worked, although Fisher seemed to do decently at defense for a spell.  Oduro played in his wide position might have helped and there were some bright spots for sure.  The only thing I put on the coaches is continued weak defending on set pieces and maybe sticking with Mancuso for too long and also playing Oduro out of position.  

Honestly, shame that Biello gets the can for trying to do the same this year as he did last year with many of the same aging core players.  A few more quality guys like Dsemalis might have been enough to see them have another decent run in the playoffs, although Atlanta and toronto look far away the class.

4 hours ago, Ruud said:

Success in 2016 led to complacency in 2017 - re-signing and extending players who couldn't keep up this season.  Most of this is on management for not bringing in enough new young talent to push the older guys, in all positions.  Jackson is the only example where that worked, although Fisher seemed to do decently at defense for a spell.  Oduro played in his wide position might have helped and there were some bright spots for sure.  The only thing I put on the coaches is continued weak defending on set pieces and maybe sticking with Mancuso for too long and also playing Oduro out of position.  

Honestly, shame that Biello gets the can for trying to do the same this year as he did last year with many of the same aging core players.  A few more quality guys like Dsemalis might have been enough to see them have another decent run in the playoffs, although Atlanta and toronto look far away the class.

We weren't successful in 2016, that is the mistake to think that. We had a very mediocre year with a lot of flaws in the team and then got hot for a few playoff games. TFC had a good season and a good playoff run, we had a mediocre barely make the playoffs season and a good playoff run. TFC improved themselves in the offseason and we did not even though they had a better season than we did. That is why they are good this year and we suck. Whoever is responsible for that, something that is not usually very clear with the Impact, should get fired. Unfortunately every year it seems more and more like it is the ownership that is responsible for that and we can not fire them or make them less involved with the team.

And after losing seven of their last eight games, collecting 3 of a possible 24pts, they are dead in the water with 39pts tied with almost all the other teams outside the playoffs except D.C.

New England, Orlando, and Philadelphia all have 39pts. The way Mtl has been playing as of late nevermind 6th and the final playoff spot but 10th would be more fitting and reflective of how poor a season they've had. 

10 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

And after losing seven of their last eight games, collecting 3 of a possible 24pts, they are dead in the water with 39pts tied with almost all the other teams outside the playoffs except D.C.

New England, Orlando, and Philadelphia all have 39pts. The way Mtl has been playing as of late nevermind 6th and the final playoff spot but 10th would be more fitting and reflective of how poor a season they've had. 

I completely agree. If it wasn’t for Piatti and Jackson-Hamel winning a couple games single handedly Montreal would be sitting in last. At least this season made it obvious that they need changes. Piette is a good start, but it will take a while to fully rebuild this team.

Did the wheels start to fall off when Piatti asked for his raise in public?  And then Jackson openly talking about moving to another team?  What the hell was going on with the management.  Reminded me of the nonsensical management of the old TFC, and Ciman complaining about the team looking after his kid a few years ago.

Hard to know for sure what role Biello has in all this, but the media guys seem to imply that firing Biello will have a positive impact in the room.

3 hours ago, Ruud said:

Did the wheels start to fall off when Piatti asked for his raise in public?  And then Jackson openly talking about moving to another team?  What the hell was going on with the management.  Reminded me of the nonsensical management of the old TFC, and Ciman complaining about the team looking after his kid a few years ago.

Hard to know for sure what role Biello has in all this, but the media guys seem to imply that firing Biello will have a positive impact in the room.

Nope, the wheels fell off when we didn't put together a good team during the offseason after a mediocre year last year.

Being complacent in not addressing concerns and weaknesses is one major factor. Other factors would include the age of the group with the core being old, lack of experience in the coaching team and upper brass going the nepotism and cheaper famiglia route rather than hiring qualified personnel, the long campaign from last year playing to 30 November and having a short break (burnout), and also playing 4 games in two weeks didn't help. 

Any thoughts on why Piatti doesnt want to divulge his salary?  I guess the MLS mechanisms allow him to keep it a secret, but I don't really feel it does the Impact a service when prospective players don't see a team opening up their coffers to reward production.  Would prefer to see the Impact as a team willing to spend some $$$

I reckon all Mtl supporters want that however it doesn't seem like Joey's business MO. He'd rather go cheap with low risk and get small returns. Not sure if he really understands the pulse of the market. It's not that Montrealers are big event fans as Joey claims. No, on the contrary, Montreal fans are very well informed of their sports and won't shall out the big bucks from their hard working paychecks on a losing side. Even more so for the Impact as their followers are not corporate suits like the Habs. I believe Montrealers show the same commitment as management. If you want to be complacent don't expect butts in the seat. 

Look at the Habs. They are horrible this season due to poor transactions and as a result their sellout crowd record was in danger  with tickets still available that they had to reduce ticket prices in order to get 21,302 spectators. Now was there an actual sellout last night as reported? I doubt it. Montreal sports fans are not known to reward incompetence. 

Archived