Impact 2017 Season.

Dub Narcotic

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2017 at 9:05 AM, mpg_29 said:

I thought he was getting in the ~$700,000 range now...$2.5m seems like a massive jump.

If you compare it to some of the other DP salaries on the league, $2.5m would still be bargain for a guy who, IMO, is among the 2 or 3 most valuable players in the league.

44 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If you compare it to some of the other DP salaries on the league, $2.5m would still be bargain for a guy who, IMO, is among the 2 or 3 most valuable players in the league.

Yea but it's one of those situations like De Rosario where the league and Montreal don't want a guy who will be 33 suddenly blowing up in salary and being one of the highest paid players... despite deserving it, moves like that throw the whole salary "structure" off. 

This is one of those instances where the salary structure has to be secondary. Stiffing Piatti would do huge damage to the team's image among future recruits and, more importantly, their fans. Giovinco is not much younger than Piatti, and I think will wear down younger, and imagine the outrage if TFC played hardball on his next deal (I have no idea when that's up) despite the fact he's already more than fairly compensated currently.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This is one of those instances where the salary structure has to be secondary. Stiffing Piatti would do huge damage to the team's image among future recruits and, more importantly, their fans. Giovinco is not much younger than Piatti, and I think will wear down younger, and imagine the outrage if TFC played hardball on his next deal (I have no idea when that's up) despite the fact he's already more than fairly compensated currently.

Giovinco signed a 5 yr deal when he arrived at Toronto, so his contract is up at the end of 2019 season when he's 32.

As for Piatti, IIRC he's had injuries issues plus age means I can understand why IMFC FO is playing a bit of hardball. But Piatti is like IMFC's only gamebreaker player. Letting Piatti walk away is dumb, considering he'll be good for probably another 2 seasons. Having said that, Piatti is not going to command more money playing anywhere else. (unless some Chinese or Middle East team are interested). I'd say somewhere around 1.5 mil per season is a fair price, in line with some of the other DPs in the league.

5 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Toronto really burned themselves giving Giovinco 7M per year...Piatti listed at 450K and playing better than him this year just one example of much better deals possible...Alessandrini at 2M...

Yes, Giovinco isn't worth 15x Piatti, however technically Toronto didn't burn anything except ML$E's bank account.

Whether you are being paid 450k or 450 mill per year it all counts the same under the salary cap. Piatti is a bargain though, definitely a top 5 player in MLS and a real joy to watch

23 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Toronto really burned themselves giving Giovinco 7M per year...Piatti listed at 450K and playing better than him this year just one example of much better deals possible...Alessandrini at 2M...

Yes, getting a player who put up two of the best years by any player ever in MLS and turning around the the worst team in the league on every level was a real mistake.

Alitdore, Dempsey, Villa are all in that 4-6mil range and Impact already paid Drogba 2.5mil at the twilight of his playing days. If the number they are talking about is 3-4mil for a 32 year old seemingly at his peak with some miles left in him, its still a good investment.  Just dont get stuck with a 5-6mil albatross like Gerrard, Lampard, Pirlo kind of contract.  I pay through the nose for that damn cheese and milk, Joey should have some money to spend.  

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Alitdore, Dempsey, Villa are all in that 4-6mil range and Impact already paid Drogba 2.5mil at the twilight of his playing days. If the number they are talking about is 3-4mil for a 32 year old seemingly at his peak with some miles left in him, its still a good investment.  Just dont get stuck with a 5-6mil albatross like Gerrard, Lampard, Pirlo kind of contract.  I pay through the nose for that damn cheese and milk, Joey should have some money to spend.  

Didn't know Bisons drank other animals milk? What The Health lol

22 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Yes, Giovinco isn't worth 15x Piatti, however technically Toronto didn't burn anything except ML$E's bank account.

Whether you are being paid 450k or 450 mill per year it all counts the same under the salary cap. Piatti is a bargain though, definitely a top 5 player in MLS and a real joy to watch

This is what people don't get, if I'm an Impact fan I don't care what you pay Piatti as long as he signs. He counts the same against the cap regardless so I hope Joey offers him ridiculous money. It's not my money!

12 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

This is what people don't get, if I'm an Impact fan I don't care what you pay Piatti as long as he signs. He counts the same against the cap regardless so I hope Joey offers him ridiculous money. It's not my money!

Well, until Saputo raises the ticket prices to pay for Piatti's salary ;)

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Duvall was awful, but Cabrera and Piette didn't exactly cover themselves in glory. The second goal was inexcusable.

Only watched the first half, but I thought both Cabrera and Piette were solid in the first 45.

Mancosu on the other hand, yikes! Does Jackson-Hamel have to suck Biello's dick to get a start over him after he puts in another good performance? 

5 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Only watched the first half, but I thought both Cabrera and Piette were solid in the first 45.

Mancosu on the other hand, yikes! Does Jackson-Hamel have to suck Biello's dick to get a start over Mancosu after a good performance? 

Yea I watched Piette closely throughout and he was very good.  He did a great job cutting off service to Giovinco in the middle and he broke up pretty well every attack that came in through his area.

and yea mancosu has to be done now.. AJH should have started anyway but mancosu was plain awful. 

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Yea I watched Piette closely throughout and he was very good.  He did a great job cutting off service to Giovinco in the middle and he broke up pretty well every attack that came in through his area.

and yea mancosu has to be done now.. AJH should have started anyway but mancosu was plain awful. 

I don't think I'd consider 28/39 on forward passes, 2/4 tackles, and getting caught sleeping on the second goal a very good game, but he wasn't as big an issue as the fullbacks were tonight. Even when he's not at his best he's very good at pushing play down the wings.

7 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I don't think I'd consider 28/39 on forward passes, 2/4 tackles, and getting caught sleeping on the second goal a very good game, but he wasn't as big an issue as the fullbacks were tonight. Even when he's not at his best he's very good at pushing play down the wings.

SHHHHHHHH, let Piette have his moment in the sun before he gets beat down.  Hometown boy come home makes good for a couple games....lets not ruin it for him.  I'm sure he'll get roasted like everyone else soon enough.  Remember when DeGuzman, Dero, or Johnson signed for TFC and things seemed so bright..ahhhhhhhh.  

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I'm not sure I'd apportion much liability on that 2nd goal to Piette. In fact he might have been the only member of the team that was not sleeping on the play. Having watched the replay (ESPN's feed was the same as TSN's so the highlights still don't show it "live"), Delgado, the TFC player furthest forward, is already behind Piette at the time Hasler throws it in. I've no idea what Ciman is doing so far up the field & out of position, marking nobody, but it looks to me like Piette realized the danger and was trying to cover for Ciman being out of position. I'm not sure why Piette is the last line of defense here when he normally would be playing in front of the central defenders and cleaning up everything in front of them, rather than the other way round. I'd hang the goat horns on the two central defenders (Cabrera simply doesn't mark Altidore) big-time before I blamed Piette.

19 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm not sure I'd apportion much liability on that 2nd goal to Piette. In fact he might have been the only member of the team that was not sleeping on the play. Having watched the replay (ESPN's feed was the same as TSN's so the highlights still don't show it "live"), Delgado, the TFC player furthest forward, is already behind Piette at the time Hasler throws it in. I've no idea what Ciman is doing so far up the field & out of position, marking nobody, but it looks to me like Piette realized the danger and was trying to cover for Ciman being out of position. I'm not sure why Piette is the last line of defense here when he normally would be playing in front of the central defenders and cleaning up everything in front of them, rather than the other way round. I'd hang the goat horns on the two central defenders (Cabrera simply doesn't mark Altidore) big-time before I blamed Piette.

Disagree. Ciman should probably be farther back and Cabrera needs to mark Altidore better, but Delgado is Piette's man. Before the throw-in Ciman points at Delgado for Piette to mark him, which Piette does, but he is a step slow to track the run. Piette then sprints to recover, but can't get in front of the cross. Immediately after the goal Ciman turns and screams at Piette, who raises his hand towards Evan Bush as in "my bad". He's the one most at fault, but he had multiple teammates that could have bailed him and didn't. 

Archived