Impact 2017 Season.

Dub Narcotic

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Obinna said:

Bare in mind this opinion is coming from someone with an outside perspective, and perhaps I don't follow the team in the same way that a true fan would, but nonetheless I do have an opinion and that opinion is the Impact are a difficult team with an identity and a way of playing that gets them results. Obviously they aren't there at the moment, but I don't think the solution is to tear it down by changing the coach.

I think the stability Montreal has had since Biello took over has been a good thing, and if you look at the last 3 years I think the club has been competitive. 2015 made the playoffs and got to the second round, that's a pretty successful season, better than average. Then last year, 2016, made it a step further to the eastern conference final, narrowly losing no less. Very successful season if you ask me.

Now this year, no playoffs most likely, but it's not like they were never in the race and I think they'll battle to the end. However it shakes out in 2017, I think 2018 they'll be back in the mix as one of the league's premier counter attacking teams. 

I would hate to see Biello sacked as I fear another era of coaching merry-go-round that characterized the teams early days in the league. I don't want that for the Impact. If Biello lead them to playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years, he can do it again. I think he should get 1 more year and if he fails to make the playoffs again, then perhaps it's time to think about going in another direction. I don't want to see a knee jerk reaction to missing the playoffs for the 1st time in 3 years.

To play the devil's advocate, Biello could be heading down towards another path that Ben Olsen and Jay Heaps took.

2016 was not a good year, we barely made the playoffs and then just got hot during the playoffs. Then our management thought we were a lot better than we were and did nothing in the off season even though any average fan watching the team could see our weaknesses. Biello has been there for a bit more than 2 seasons and the only time we have played well has been the period shortly after he took over and the playoff run last year. It may not all be Biello's fault, this team is always poorly run and no one knows who is in charge but it is frustrating to watch. I personally like and respect Biello and I think his biggest strength is most of the players do too but Joey needs to stop interfering in the team management and stop hiring his friends and hire someone qualified for the job and let him do the job. To be clear though I am not calling for Biello to be fired, I am calling for NDS to be fired and for Joey to sell the team to someone who will run it properly.

Wow. Montreal score 4 goals and lead 3-1 at halftime in Toronto. Good to see Montreal bounce back after losing at home to a weak expansion team but I was not expecting this to happen to TFC at home. We'll see if they can get the full 3 points in the second half.

On 9/20/2017 at 3:29 PM, Grizzly said:

2016 was not a good year, we barely made the playoffs and then just got hot during the playoffs. Then our management thought we were a lot better than we were and did nothing in the off season even though any average fan watching the team could see our weaknesses. Biello has been there for a bit more than 2 seasons and the only time we have played well has been the period shortly after he took over and the playoff run last year. It may not all be Biello's fault, this team is always poorly run and no one knows who is in charge but it is frustrating to watch. I personally like and respect Biello and I think his biggest strength is most of the players do too but Joey needs to stop interfering in the team management and stop hiring his friends and hire someone qualified for the job and let him do the job. To be clear though I am not calling for Biello to be fired, I am calling for NDS to be fired and for Joey to sell the team to someone who will run it properly.

who do you want to sell to?  Jeff Molson?

hard to see the fault of Saputo here?  the team seemed to get unlucky with a poor Mancuso at start of season, and in fact throughout the season, a few aging and indifferent midfielders until Dzemaille showed up, and a backline which lost a potential superstar in Oyongo.  Unless Biello's lost the room - he should stay, I agree.  If Saputo is to be blamed for Piatti calling out for more cash, then I'd say maybe the disruption is on Joey or NDS.  Otherwise, Montreal is more or less where many predicted them to be, fighting for a spot.  No one could have predicted such a great first year for Atlanta either.   

In fact, Atlanta and Vancouver  are starting to look like teams which could upset TFC>  

Montreal is not that team this year.  there were a few mistakes (Oduro, bernadello) but hard to see Saputo to blame there.  Why not call for Braz's head?

Braz is just the shadow of NDS and the media mouthpiece. The front office just got too complacent with last years playoff run thinking they could just go cheap with last years parts when everyone else took steps to bolster their squads. 

On another note, quite impressed with the Atlanta fan base. They really love their sports. Is Mercedes Benz stadium specifically for soccer? If so with all the cash spent on it you'd think they'd spend on getting natural grass rather than rubber turf. 

1 hour ago, Moldy9 said:

On another note, quite impressed with the Atlanta fan base. They really love their sports. Is Mercedes Benz stadium specifically for soccer? If so with all the cash spent on it you'd think they'd spend on getting natural grass rather than rubber turf. 

I believe it was built as an all purpose stadium with configurations for football, soccer, basketball and concerts. It is primarily used as the home stadium for the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United, however. They use the new generation FieldTurf, which I got to run on earlier this year. It's the most impressive turf field on the market and feels exactly like running on grass. The only real issues are that the ball still bounces higher, and the looser bindings mean the field needs to be replaced more often. I believe that Atlanta and Portland are the only teams that use the new FieldTurf and will replace the surface every 2 years. New England and Seattle use the older FieldTurf that lasts for a decade but plays way faster than grass and feels slightly bouncy. 

12 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I believe it was built as an all purpose stadium with configurations for football, soccer, basketball and concerts. It is primarily used as the home stadium for the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United, however. They use the new generation FieldTurf, which I got to run on earlier this year. It's the most impressive turf field on the market and feels exactly like running on grass. The only real issues are that the ball still bounces higher, and the looser bindings mean the field needs to be replaced more often. I believe that Atlanta and Portland are the only teams that use the new FieldTurf and will replace the surface every 2 years. New England and Seattle use the older FieldTurf that lasts for a decade but plays way faster than grass and feels slightly bouncy. 

New England is the black plague of venues - and surely the worst place to see a game in the MLS.  Should we do a ranking? 

Multi-purpose for NFL is interesting - even in some southern states, they have turf, I think the data is 17 fake to 14 real grass venues.  Arizona seen as one of the best for real grass

On 24/09/2017 at 11:23 PM, Moldy9 said:

I think its more of a hype situation atm with the new club and with the ambition being shown by the owner with this ridiculous stadium and the money he's put into Atlanta United proper. The other sports team of the city arent as well supported. 

The Atlanta hawks are amongst the lowest in attendance in the NBA for a while now. 15,900 on 21,000 capacity. The Trashers, before they left, also had an average of about 15,000 fans in the same arena. 

Imagine Saputo building a 1,5 billion$ stadium and spending huge on DPs. You don't think supporters would show up. Would'nt they anywhere for that matter?

Man. I really like this Impact team. The problem has been Ciman's precipitous fall from grace this year. Not sure what happened to him but over the last two years he has been just awful, but he can't be dropped seemingly. That could all be on Biello as to me it seems to be some kind of attitude/confidence problem, which he hasn't been able to fix so far.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

Man. I really like this Impact team. The problem has been Ciman's precipitous fall from grace this year. Not sure what happened to him but over the last two years he has been just awful, but he can't be dropped seemingly. That could all be on Biello as to me it seems to be some kind of attitude/confidence problem, which he hasn't been able to fix so far.

I feel like it is less Ciman, and more the fact that they've given him Central Defending Mids that are ancient, a central defending partner that is beyond awful, and they got rid of their amazing defensive coach. 

Ciman is literally the only constant at defense, and to put the blame onto him is a little short sighted. 

49 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I feel like it is less Ciman, and more the fact that they've given him Central Defending Mids that are ancient, a central defending partner that is beyond awful, and they got rid of their amazing defensive coach. 

Ciman is literally the only constant at defense, and to put the blame onto him is a little short sighted. 

While calling Ciman awful is harsh, he's definitely not been the same player. I also would not call Cabrera "beyond awful". The whole backline as a unit is struggling with nobody really standing out.

Edit: Oyongo was a big loss as well.  

9 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Ciman is a constant on an awful defense. He keeps charging out and making weird unpredictable movements. Again, could be Biello's lack of coaching defence, but every time I watch I feel like Ciman should be dropped. I squarely put almost all of TOs goals on him.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:
Biello out. Nesta in.

Sad to see Biello go, it was nice having a coach that was from Montreal and had a history with the club.

I'm definitely excited to see what Nesta can do with this team though. If he's half as good of a coach as he was a player, we should be in good hands. I would say he makes the team more attractive for future signings at the very least. 

Should have no problem representing the city as well. 

20170927_010310.png

Archived