Impact 2017 Season.

Dub Narcotic

Lots of empty seats last night for the Habs home opener in fact.  

A playoff run this year would have had amazing returns - with poor Habs, no blue jays and no Alouettes.  Lost opportunity to build on last year.  

Looking at the roster, you just see too many mediocre players and no competition to push others out.  Salazar, Fisher and Jackson were perhaps the only 3 who pushed others out of starting spots this season, despite a long list of underperformers.  By my count: 

Underperformed:  Camera, Oduro, Mancuso, Bernadello, Romero,  Ciman, Cabrera

Met expectations:  Bush, Bernier, Salazar, Donadel, Oyongo, Lovitz, Duvall, Balou (?)

Exceeded expectations:  Dzemaili, Jackson, Piette, Piatti, Fisher (?)

And even those who 'met expectations' could be seen as more or less being average MLS players at best.  I think Bernier met expecatations, but I don't think we were expecting much from him this season.  He actually played a lot more than I expected, which I guess reflects the fact that he wasn't pushed by anyone off the bench. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your list makes sence to me but i would be a little more cautious with Piette.  Maybe he did exceed expectations but at the sme time, the role that he plays is very difficult to evaluate and you need a little longer time horizon or sample size to really get a true picture.   Thats because d-mids along CB’s is what really makes up a defense, Moreso than the HB’s in my opinion.  Defensive play has been the biggest issue and it didnt seem to improve with his arrival.  I have seen some highlights of goals against later in the season where he failed to convince me in his ball winning abilities.

True - good point. 

I think the fact that he wowed everyone early on during the 3 game win streak led me to think he exceeded fans' expectations.  As for his overall quality, remains to be seen.  Same with Fisher probably.

10 hours ago, Free kick said:

Your list makes sence to me but i would be a little more cautious with Piette.  Maybe he did exceed expectations but at the sme time, the role that he plays is very difficult to evaluate and you need a little longer time horizon or sample size to really get a true picture.   Thats because d-mids along CB’s is what really makes up a defense, Moreso than the HB’s in my opinion.  Defensive play has been the biggest issue and it didnt seem to improve with his arrival.  I have seen some highlights of goals against later in the season where he failed to convince me in his ball winning abilities.

Nope if you are posting that you obviously did not watch many or any of our games. Piette made a huge improvement to our defence when he arrived and we went on a winning streak. Even when we have lost he is often the best player on the pitch for us just like he was in the Canada match against ES. The rest of the defence is still weak and he hasn't single handedly made it good nor solved all the other problems the team has but he has been a big improvement over everyone else we have played in that position this year. If the Impact management actually builds a decent team around him and the few other good players we have then he should be even better next year.

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

True - good point. 

I think the fact that he wowed everyone early on during the 3 game win streak led me to think he exceeded fans' expectations.  As for his overall quality, remains to be seen.  Same with Fisher probably.

Piette wowed everyone in every game he played in. It was inexplicable that Biello did not play him in a crucial game like that against NYCFC.
Fisher on the other hand was better than expected since no one expected anything from him but was as mediocre as all of our other CBs. He may have some potential but he needs to be penciled in the lineup as a backup next year and the team needs to go out and get a proven defensive CB to play beside Ciman.

I made the following changes to your list in bold (Camara moved up, all others moved down):

Underperformed:  Oduro, Mancuso, Bernadello, Romero (? wasn't nearly as good as before his injury but not sure what we expected after an absence of more than a year),  Ciman, Cabrera, DonadelDuvallBalou (?)

Met expectations:  Bush, Bernier, Salazar, Oyongo, Lovitz, Camara, Dzemaili,

Exceeded expectations:  Jackson, Piette, Piatti, Fisher (Fisher only because expectations were very low)

Donadel has been poor/mediocre all season. Overpaid and older player who is adequate but should be released.

Duvall is average, not as good as Toia, slightly below average MLS starter level who could be upgraded if we have enough cap space after all the other needed changes are made.

Balou is hard to say since he was a young guy coming in with hype who showed he could play in the league which he did at the beginning of the season, then he had his temper tantrum and after that played like he should still be in USL and lost his position to Salazar.

Camara is overpaid for what he brings but was a good sometimes starter sometimes sub who moves the ball well but makes mistakes, if they can lower his salary next year we should keep him, he is still one of the more skilled players on the team but needs to be paid in line with a good MLS backup, sometimes starter.

Dzemaila was good but not exceptional, he was a Serie A player brought in as a DP so he needs to be held to a high standard. He has a good low powerful shot so contributed to the goal scoring but is not a dominant or often even very influential player on the pitch during the game. Not every DP needs to be a standout so it may be enough if he is a solid good player but he was brought in to be a number 10 and is clearly not capable of performing that role (not good enough passing, vision or creativity nor does he dominate the pitch). If the Impact would sign a real number 10 for the first time in our MLS history we could move him back to his natural box to box midfield role he could be more effective, adding some offense from the role but not expected to be the motor of the offense.

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Nope if you are posting that you obviously did not watch many or any of our games. Piette made a huge improvement to our defence when he arrived and we went on a winning streak. Even when we have lost he is often the best player on the pitch for us just like he was in the Canada match against ES. The rest of the defence is still weak and he hasn't single handedly made it good nor solved all the other problems the team has but he has been a big improvement over everyone else we have played in that position this year. If the Impact management actually builds a decent team around him and the few other good players we have then he should be even better next year.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-09-24-atlanta-united-fc-vs-montreal-impact/details/video/135717

That may all be true.  But before he is annointed best player on the pitch, Watch number 29 on this goal scored by Atlanta.  First 8 seconds.  Doesnt look very strong on the ball and matches what i said above.  There are a couple of other ones that come to mind.  Look at the first goal versus colorado.

P.S.:  if i had not watched any games involving the impact.  I would not comment.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-09-24-atlanta-united-fc-vs-montreal-impact/details/video/135717

That may all be true.  But before he is annointed best player on the pitch, Watch number 29 on this goal scored by Atlanta.  First 8 seconds.  Doesnt look very strong on the ball and matches what i said above.  There are a couple of other ones that come to mind.  Look at the first goal versus colorado.

P.S.:  if i had not watched any games involving the impact.  I would not comment.

That is your evidence? Really? Yes he loses the ball as it gets caught up in his feet while he is being pushed by the Atlanta player but you can find a couple of incidents per game of that happening to every player on the pitch, he was just unlucky that this one led to a goal. And it leads to a goal because after he loses the ball Bernier makes a half hearted attempt to get it, then Boldor completely messes up an attempt to take the ball away and lets the player go right by him and Ciman freezes and doesn't try to pressure Villalba or cut down the room he has to move and shoot and finally Villalba lets go an amazing shot.

If we judge things on this play alone we could think Bernier is a player who does not try very hard or commit himself to tackles which is unfortunately the case on this play but is not typical of Bernier usually (the Boldor play is unfortunately typical of his play so far). Nor was losing the ball like that typical of Piette's play so far. Indeed most of the time he is doing a much better job of covering up his teammates mistakes than his teammates did here.

I never said he was perfect and never loses the ball, I said he played well in all the games he has played since he has been here including the ones we lost and most of the time was actually our best player (Piatti was the other one who was our best player but he is very inconsistent). He loses the ball here but he was strong during most of the game and Bernier and Boldor are both worse on this specific play than Piette was. I do agree with you that he hasn't been here that long so the sample size is small and it is possible he could be good for three months and disappoint next year like Mancosu did this year but so far he has been consistently good since he arrived in Montreal and our best DM this year by a fairly big margin.

Well that had to be one of the most bizarre first halfs in TFC IMFC history. 

I think Mancosu was cursed by somebody. You'd have to think so considering all the chances he missed tonight and his lackluster season. 

Romero showed some promise. Hope he comes back strong next season. 

Piette really impressed me this season, he is class and I'm not surprised that he was sought after by higher level clubs in Spain and Germany before coming to Montreal.  It's one thing to play a few Gold Cup games but to keep that level up at your club really shows something.. the way he moves, anticipates, battles and sprays balls reminds me a lot of De Guzman circa 07-09.  I'd like to see him to make himself available at the edge of the area more and let that right off.. he's scored some bangers for Canadian youth teams.  

Saputo is hinting that the next coach is going to be a prominent, experienced coach: 

“An experienced coach, like a designated player, can make a difference,” Saputo said. “We need to look beyond what we had right now in North America. At a particular point in time we have to realize a coach is going to be someone that will make a big difference.

“We’ve always invested in players. Now we realize, to go to the next level, we need to invest in a coach. Once we name the coach, you’ll realize it’s not anything that we’ve ever had before.”

I hope this is true because I want a coach that has enough pull that he can actually be the boss and make all the decisions without the interference of Joey, NDS and all the others who seem to have too much influence at the club.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/mls/montreal-impact/saputo-cites-a-lack-of-a-clear-identity-for-decision-to-fire-impact-coach-mauro-biello

7 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Strange decision, it's risky to go to Europe after missing the entire year through injury. 

Oyongo's dream has been to play in Europe and he pretty much wanted to go there ever since he joined the Impact. He mentioned that he will have to accept a less prominent team than those that were interested in him before his injury but he is 26 so if he is going to have a European career he needs to do it now. He will be a loss for the Impact but maybe not as big as people think. He was very good going forward but his defending was mediocre. Bernardello by contrast is not much of a loss, a MLS depth player on a very big salary. When your foreign player spots are taken up by depth and borderline MLS players you are not going to have a good team and we saw that with the Impact this year.

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Saputo is hinting that the next coach is going to be a prominent, experienced coach: 

“An experienced coach, like a designated player, can make a difference,” Saputo said. “We need to look beyond what we had right now in North America. At a particular point in time we have to realize a coach is going to be someone that will make a big difference.

“We’ve always invested in players. Now we realize, to go to the next level, we need to invest in a coach. Once we name the coach, you’ll realize it’s not anything that we’ve ever had before.”

I hope this is true because I want a coach that has enough pull that he can actually be the boss and make all the decisions without the interference of Joey, NDS and all the others who seem to have too much influence at the club.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/mls/montreal-impact/saputo-cites-a-lack-of-a-clear-identity-for-decision-to-fire-impact-coach-mauro-biello

Seems like they've learned from Atlanta...

I`d like to recommend some more unorthodox coaches 

Michel Preud`homme-Belgian coach, has preformed well with Leige, KAA Gent,Fc twente and is coming off astint with brugge that has lasted since 2013. Key signings include: ex Bayern defender Dante and Nacer Chadli 

Ricardo La Volpe-Argentine coach. Coached almost every team in Liga MX. He also Coached the national teams of Mexico(4 years) and Costa Rica (1 year). his last team played 3atb which has been very successful in MLS this season. 

those are the only two I can find for now,what do you think

• 2 weeks later...

Archived