Canadians abroad: January 27 - February 2, 2017

Ruffian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam Piette played 90 as Izarra drew scoreless at home to Celta Vigo B team. They are mid table.

Iain Hume came on at the half and Extremadura came back at home to draw Recreativo Huelva, the oldest team in Spain, 1-1. Hume was involved in the goal, in front of 8000 fans, that's big for 2B Spain.The team is still in relegation zone and needs wins.

One online sports site gave Iain the MVP of the match.

Misik did not play and Manny Aparicio played 90 as bottom dweller Ordenes lost 4-0 to Negreira in their 3rd div (4th tier group). 

Miki Cantave came on m. 70 for Albacete B, who lost away 4-1 to Villarubia with 10 men, also in Spanish 4th tier.

Just want to comment on a detail that is impressive. Recreativo Huelva, the oldest football team in Spain (founded by British mining engineers working on the Rio Tinto mines), is in serious financial trouble and having probs staying afloat. So Extremadura chose to give them half of the gate from today's game as a gesture of respect towards their senior status. They say part of the great crowd today was inspired by the idea of helping the rival, even though they are not even from the same region nor have little connection historically or in football terms.

If you want to watch Hume's game, it's here, starting m. 57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-u7T_W0ec&feature=youtu.be

I don't really recommend it though, the match is sloppy though Hume plays well with his back to defenders, distributes well, has some nice controls. They like him, the level is low for him. I watched a much better qualtity 2B game this afternoon cause they inaugurated a new suburban stadium near Barcelona, but they were quality teams. These are two in relegation zone with a lot of scrub mixed in with some decent stuff. The pitch is in poor condition, not helping. They call Hume (OO-MAY) British or Scottish throughout.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just want to comment on a detail that is impressive. Recreativo Huelva, the oldest football team in Spain (founded by British mining engineers working on the Rio Tinto mines), is in serious financial trouble and having probs staying afloat. So Extremadura chose to give them half of the gate from today's game as a gesture of respect towards their senior status. They say part of the great crowd today was inspired by the idea of helping the rival, even though they are not even from the same region nor have little connection historically or in football terms.

That's great! You know Bayern Munich is hated throughout Germany (and loved, just to be complete), but whenever there is a club in troubles, Bayern simply plays against them and then let them make some money out of it. They even did it for Fortuna Sittard which isn't even in Germany!

According to Soccerway Ferdi Kadioglu played 65 minutes yesterday for NEC against Fehenoord in a 4-0 loss.

Does anyone know the story with this guy? He's a Dutch youth, eligible for Turkey (according to Transfer Markt) and is listed in the MOACA (I only just spotted him today). Apparently he has 2 goals and 3 assists in 13 league games. What's his link? He's only 17 so I picture both the Dutch and Turkish FAs are watching him closely.

2 hours ago, matty said:

According to Soccerway Ferdi Kadioglu played 65 minutes yesterday for NEC against Fehenoord in a 4-0 loss.

Does anyone know the story with this guy? He's a Dutch youth, eligible for Turkey (according to Transfer Markt) and is listed in the MOACA (I only just spotted him today). Apparently he has 2 goals and 3 assists in 13 league games. What's his link? He's only 17 so I picture both the Dutch and Turkish FAs are watching him closely.

Turkish father. Dutch mother who was born in Canada. Ferdi was born in Arnhem where he started his youth career.

http://scoutnation.forumfree.it/?t=73456634

18 hours ago, UptheReds said:

Arfield on the pitch at the 34th minute to replace an injured Steven Defour (Burnley vs. Leicester) 

Big win for Burnley as they continue their fantastic season.

Arfield had a very strong match, creating 4 chances including the assist on the game winner off a corner.

perusing the Burnley forums supporters were all pleased with his play but seem to unanimously believe that his playing time will be drastically cut due to recent signings.

27 minutes ago, Floortom said:

perusing the Burnley forums supporters were all pleased with his play but seem to unanimously believe that his playing time will be drastically cut due to recent signings.

The Burnley supporters seemed to think he wouldn't get much playing time at the start of the season due to the players they signed in the summer. Let's hope he can continue to play well and keep himself in the line-up.

1 minute ago, Boominbooty said:

Good news, Petrasso on the bench for QPR. Assuming he starts getting regular playing time with QPR does he jump to automatic starter for Gold Cup?

I wouldn't say automatic, but I would say it puts him in the conversation. Hoilett, Ricketts, Akindele and Jackson are probably in contention for 4 roster spots and 2 starting spots. I think only Hoilett is a sure bet to start if all are healthy.

Given that Petrasso has played 228 minutes in the last 26 months, I think any talk of him being an automatic starter for the Gold Cup is pretty far fetched right now. As of today, he's worthy of being called to a non full-strength national squad, but not much more.

Even if he starts consistently, he's behind Arfield and Hoilett at a minimum.

Archived