shermanator

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Regular season starts tomorrow:

Whitecaps 2 against LA Galaxy 2

Toronto FC 2 against Phoenix Rising FC

Lots of CANCON in this one: Phoenix is coached by Frank Yallop and has Allessndro Riggi and A.J. Gray (and a lot of names like Shaun Wright-Phillips and Omar Bravo).

Fury play next week.

36 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Was IMFC playing their B team against Ottawa today?  Fury won 2-0.

Pretty much, although apparently Oduro, Lefevre, Mancosu, Camara and Bernadello all played for Montreal. Irving played in goal the whole match for Ottawa, and Seoane and Dos Santos were the goalscorers. Not a full lineup for Ottawa either though, with both Haworth and Williams missing.

18 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Its pretty cool it looks like they are going to broadcast all their games on facebook. Just watching the Louisville vs. St. Louis game. Decent quality broadcast.

Also on Youtube. They were on Youtube last year also. Chromecast works better on Youtube.

Well I am torn between the genuine excitement of the USL clubs starting the season and a piss poor CDN showing by our CDN USL clubs.  It breaks my hear to see places like Louisville, CInncinati, Phoenix with so much excitement and ownership talking up potential new stadiums etc.  Little hotbeds of soccer seem to be breaking out all over the USA.  Record breaking attendance in a bunch of places, a growing little league.   And there were some bright spots for us, some CDN kids making inroads south of the border.   

But in Canada, Montreal shit cans its USL team, Ottawa drops from NASL to USL, and TFC2/VAN2 stuff the rosters with (mid 20's) MLS draft picks and american journeymen.  And no word from CSA about CDN minimums.  Rumors swirl that Van 2 might be gone next year, well if they dont play any CDN kids, will anyone miss them??  And Rollins and CO, after hyping potential announcements every year, seem to be pointing to "maybe" a potential 2019 CPL start up. Is it just me or does this all seem very crappy!!  Please tell me that after the youngsters get back we will see more than 3CDN start per CDN team.  PLEASE!!  Otherwise why am I watching this instead of Series A, Legue 1, EPL etc??  So Van2 can lose more games than last year, and TFC2 can win a handful more...GRRRRRR!!!!   The CPL cannot start quick enough!!     

And failing that maybe if USL was simply opened up to any Canadian group that wanted to apply we would soon have a few Louisville, Cincinatti and Pheonix scenarios happening? The standard in the Pheonix vs TFC II game on the weekend was impressively high. Hopefully the number of Canadians will bounce back up again when it isn't an international fixture weekend with no first team game and TFC II will be able to keep that sort of form going.

Tedious and stupid USL complaint list, a Voyageurs board trademark since 2013:

* Not enough Canadians!111!!!! (USL has by far the most Canadians of any pro league in the world)

* USL is not a high enough level (but play more outmatched 16 year old academy players with no pro potential)!!1111!!!!11111

* Posters unable to spell properly even though they are using a web browser with spell check (Series A?)

* USL is way worse than NASL111!!!1111!!11!!!1 (Not according to sanctioning level, head-to-head cup results, possible federal indictments, near-bankruptcies or quality of player) 

* Weeping, gnashing of teeth and beating of breast about lack of chances for young Canadian players while not watching the league that actually plays all of these young Canadian players.

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well I am torn between the genuine excitement of the USL clubs starting the season and a piss poor CDN showing by our CDN USL clubs.  It breaks my hear to see places like Louisville, CInncinati, Phoenix with so much excitement and ownership talking up potential new stadiums etc.  Little hotbeds of soccer seem to be breaking out all over the USA.  Record breaking attendance in a bunch of places, a growing little league.   And there were some bright spots for us, some CDN kids making inroads south of the border.   

A couple observations about USL while scanning games over the weekend.

1) A few of the cities seem to have some solid support. Some stadiums were fill with thousands of enthusiastic fans. Only problem is how many of these will MLS poach?

2) While some of the games were played on nice fields in front of many fans a few of the games were played on what looks to be high school types of fields with a handful of people in the stands. Mostly the MLS2 teams. This I think hurts the image of the league when you see games played with virtually no fans.

3) The quality of the games seemed pretty good some clubs like Louisville seemed stronger then others but overall was pretty entertaining.

I watch the Canadian teams exclusively, so with a much stronger TFC2 and FCM out of the picture it was a much better spectacle this week. On the other hand, I think VWFC2 are worse this year.

For the reasons you mentioned, the league has talked about moving away from the FCM, LAG2, RSM, NYRB2 model and more towards the Rio Grande Valley or Reno model where the MLS teams run the soccer operations but they play in a different city with independent ownership and identity. I do think that's the way to go, I also don't mind the Montreal-Ottawa style affiliate partnerships. 

On 3/27/2017 at 3:01 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

* USL is way worse than NASL111!!!1111!!11!!!1 (Not according to sanctioning level, head-to-head cup results, possible federal indictments, near-bankruptcies or quality of player)

Not sure what your getting at with the bs of federal indictments, near bancruptcies, or player quality.

USL has had more failed clubs than NASL in the same time period and is a different type of league with its reserve and affiliates making up the majority of the teams, a good minor league for MLS but generally seen as a lower quality of play by most.

The NASL and USL are close to even in open cup games with NASL having the edge all years except for one bad year and went 6 wins 2 losses last year vs USL. These one off games aren't the best indicator of quality of play either.

Samuel is not with Rochester anymore. Dover, their new Canadian, is playing at RB. Roberts at RCB in a 3 back and Tissot at LWB. Nanco, Dominguez and Temguia are not in the 18 for their teams. DeBellis and Heard on the bench. 

A heads up: the USL twitter feed and game recaps now have video highlight packages, which I think is a first:

Reno 1 - Vancouver 1: http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/776563?referrer_id=2333971

St. Louis 3 - Ottawa 2: http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/776527?referrer_id=2333971

Tampa Bay 4 - Toronto 0: http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/776506?referrer_id=2333971

18 hours ago, mianjo said:

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/03/30/usl-division-three-us-soccer-league-2019

What would be in the best interest would be is that this Div 3 league be for the MLS  2nd teams  and that the USL Div 2  be for the independant teams  if they did that  there would  more interest for the fans of these teams.

I would keep it simple: If you draw under 2500 fans or have a stadium capacity under 5000 'division 3'. If you me the criteria of 5000 stadium capacity and average 2500 or above  then 'division 2'. I mean at the end of the day if your playing on an empty high school field you have no business being in a 'second division'.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived