2017 USL season

shermanator

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Figure we can use this as a catch all for the events of the 2017 USL season. Now that they are Division 2, they've released their conference alignments, and announced that they will have a 32 game season in 2017.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/742742?referrer_id=2333971

Is it just me or would the USL and Ottawa Fury threads be more suited to be in a joint "Div-2 NASL-USL" forum section now, rather than the "Canadian Teams/Leagues" section - especially with the USSF decision on Friday. Not complaining - just throwing it out there. Cheers!

5 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting that there's no conference crossover during the regular season.  Did they have the same arrangement last year?

Haven't really followed USL up until now but I guess I'll need to start now that Ottawa's in it.

Yes and that is probably the future of MLS as well. MLS east & MLS west with playoffs the only time crossover games happen.

I was watching the Caps2 games and at least out west the level was very good but still D3. We'll see how they do as a D2 and if it improves (I doubt it).

1 hour ago, TRM said:

Yes and that is probably the future of MLS as well. MLS east & MLS west with playoffs the only time crossover games happen.

I was watching the Caps2 games and at least out west the level was very good but still D3. We'll see how they do as a D2 and if it improves (I doubt it).

Why do you say this? All the other major national leagues have crossovers

22 hours ago, canta15 said:

Why do you say this? All the other major national leagues have crossovers

2 leagues of 18 teams is another 14-16 franchise fees of 60-100 million each. They would have to stop now if they stayed at one league. No way are they leaving more than half a billion on the table. As well from a travel standpoint it makes sense to do north south competition.

• 2 weeks later...

TFC II sent out renewal e-mail notices for 2017 season.  A SSH like I was last year gets  16 games x $6.00 = $96.00   (bonus a pair of tickets to the MLS team's Canadian Championship match). If you renew by Feb 6th. 

[last year it was 15 games x $5.00 = $75.00

That's season tickets for the equivalent of one game of my TFC (MLS) SSH ticket.

Only risk here is the USL schedule hasn't been released yet. 

3 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

TFC II sent out renewal e-mail notices for 2017 season.  A SSH like I was last year gets  16 games x $6.00 = $96.00   (bonus a pair of tickets to the MLS team's Canadian Championship match). If you renew by Feb 6th. 

[last year it was 15 games x $5.00 = $75.00

That's season tickets for the equivalent of one game of my TFC (MLS) SSH ticket.

The important news out of that for me is that TFC II isn't going to be in the Canadian Championship.

Not that I would've expected them to be in it, but there were questions after USL gained OFFC and Div II status.

• 2 weeks later...

WFC 2's preseason has kicked off. They have the following players in camp:

- Matthew Baldisimo, Terran Campbell, and Will Seymore (signed). Thomas Sanner, Chris Serban, Mark Village, and Deklan Wynne (unsigned). Sean Melvin, Sem de Wit, Thomas Gardner, David Norman Jr and Kadin Chung will join camp from Whitecaps' trip to Wales or the Canada U-20 camp

- Trialists include former residency players Nolan Wirth and Elliot Simmons and NZ Daniel Cyra. Other trialists include Calgary Foothills players Dominck Zator, Dominic Russo and Ajeej Sarkaria, FC Edmonton academy player Bruno Zebie and University of Calgary forward Bori Falaye.

- Lots of residency players and MLS Superdraft selections as well.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/post/2017/02/03/whitecaps-fc-2-kick-preseason-camp?hootPostID=0e6103af895196ebd186ab3dfb4c8c4f

Mark Village is back again, eh. They must know somebody at the New Zealand FA because they have had an inordinate amount of players from there over the years. The only ever senior team appearances I can remember were from that CB in their first two years who had a disastrous time trying to partner with Jay Demerit.

On 10/01/2017 at 9:03 PM, TRM said:

2 leagues of 18 teams is another 14-16 franchise fees of 60-100 million each. They would have to stop now if they stayed at one league. No way are they leaving more than half a billion on the table. As well from a travel standpoint it makes sense to do north south competition.

The current round of expansion is going for $150 million each. And with 12 teams fighting for 4 spots, MLS can say they are done all they want but they aren't going to leave money on the table. 

7 hours ago, Alex D said:

The current round of expansion is going for $150 million each. And with 12 teams fighting for 4 spots, MLS can say they are done all they want but they aren't going to leave money on the table. 

Wow. TFC must be loving their $10 million investment and that makes the Caps & Impact's sub $40 million buy in look great.

On 1/9/2017 at 0:21 PM, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting that there's no conference crossover during the regular season.  Did they have the same arrangement last year?

Haven't really followed USL up until now but I guess I'll need to start now that Ottawa's in it.

Surely Ottawa jumps to CanPL year 1?

It's definitely a Hamilton Ticats project and there is strong evidence that other CFL clubs (Calgary for sure others not as clear) looked at getting involved in pro soccer back in 2014 when the plan was for a Canadian division of the NASL, but the extent of any other CFL involvement beyond Hamilton in the here and now is unclear. Rollins and co seemed pretty upset when Ottawa jumped to USL (as far as I remember talking about how they might wind up not being in "CPL" as another group might be accepted instead) and were suggesting first that the Fury's move possibly wouldn't be sanctioned by the CSA, second that they would face very strict CanCon rules if it was and third that they wouldn't be in the Voyageurs Cup given they are Montreal's affiliate. Given none of those things ultimately seem to have happened and the 95% certain league announcement in December never materialized along with what seems like many more previously, at some point you have to start to question the accuracy of some of his other info like the supposed heavy CFL involvement angle.

USL owners legal troubles :

St. Pete (Tampa Bay) entrepreneur Bill Edwards dogged by lawsuit seeking to freeze assets

In a case filed in federal court in Atlanta, two whistleblowers who accuse Edwards of "looting" millions from his defunct mortgage company are asking the judge to freeze his assets or order him to post a sizable bond.

"Given what Edwards himself has done with MIC's assets during the course of this litigation, there is no question that a bond or asset freeze injunction is required," according to a motion filed this month.

The lawsuit also says Edwards should be personally liable for any judgment in the case, which involves allegations that the company, Mortgage Investors Corp., cheated veterans and U.S. taxpayers in refinancing VA loans.

U.S. District Judge Amy Totenberg has yet to act on the bond request but handed the whistleblowers a victory last fall.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/st-pete-entrepreneur-bill-edwards-dogged-by-lawsuit-seeking-to-freeze/2311321

• 2 weeks later...

Archived