2017 USL season

shermanator

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Gonzalez got his first of the season in his first game back from the U-23's.  USL summary also mentioned DIdic had a solid game, no sign of Macleod getting a start in goal for Swope yet.  

I spoke to the family. His dad believes he will get maybe 5 starts. Zendenjas gets sent down a lot, and Greczek is their draft pick. Macleod and Greczek should rotate, but there will be a few times a season that Zendenjas will come down and take over the number one spot. But Darrin is feeling pretty good about his chances. He was on the bench in the last game.

22 hours ago, Big_M said:

That's also again making a case to have permanent d2 status which will surely be given. Question now is will nasl survive or will teams simply join usl.

That would be "full" D2 status not "permanent" as its reviewed on a year by year basis, and not for sure as well.

NASL adds 4 clubs including a central time zone club to reach full D2 status again.They comply in everything else whereas USL has issues where close to half the leagues teams out of 30 don't meet D2 standards along the lines of 10 stadiums to bring to compliance along with staffing, coaching, and team owner net worth issues.

With the changes the NASL has made this year and is making don't see any clubs giving up their share of NASL league ownership and paying exit and entry fees to join USL which is a privately owned franchise league.Looks like there will be 2 leagues in D2 and probably D3 with 2 different models for the foreseable future.

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Cavalluzo on team of the week.  The highlights from saturday looked like Louisville threw the kitchen sink at him.  Too bad Vanney likes his keepers taller and more american.  

If he is good enough he'll break through just like Raheem Edwards has. When you need results to keep your job, you don't play favourites based on nationality. That's crazy talk. The highlights from the Louisville game suggest Cavalluzo is a genuine prospect and that Quillian Roberts leaving to try his luck elsewhere may have had an upside in giving this guy an opening.

You are bending over backwards to cut management slack.  If Irwin had not gotten injured, Pais would be down at TFC2 getting all the starts. While potential "Genuine prospect" Cavalluzzo would be riding the pine.   TFC would never uncover any gems from the academy if management stuffed the roster with 22-25year olds previously like they are now.   The old "if they are good enough" montra just doesnt cut it.  We all know how fickle things can be and how breaks can go your way or someone elses and it does make a huge difference.

Look at AJH, rumor was he was done at the Impact, look how it turned with a lucky break, a bit more playing time.  Or Hamilton, I thought we were done with second guessing him after getting 3 goals in 900minutes last year.  But no, TFC has to sign Spencer and give him a shot while Hamilton sits.  Hamilton isnt a sure fire star, but I would think he isnt something you walk away from for a guy that has DONE NOTHING.  Not even score at TFC2.  

The brain trust has shown time and again that they prioritize draft picks (mainly foreign) and these journeymen american signings over academy kids.  The fact that Edwards has gotten through the logjam doesnt change the fact that that even when talent seems pretty similar, players they have brought in from outside are given the first chance, or multiple chances.  When as a TFC fan, and a CMNT fan I would hope that you might show the homegrown local kid just a  bit more love.  Even if it was just for the selfish reason of keeping a segment of the fan base happy.  So instead I'll get to watch Pais start in the CDN championship.....(i sure hope not!!)  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

...If Irwin had not gotten injured, Pais would be down at TFC2 getting all the starts. While potential "Genuine prospect" Cavalluzzo would be riding the pine...

There's no way you can know any of that for sure. What you are overlooking is that it's what happens in training Monday to Friday behind closed doors that plays a big part in shaping team selection and that starting positions on any team can be won and lost based on that in addition to the visible tip of the iceberg that we get to see on weekends.

Not happening for the 2017 season, but the Sounders reserves will be moving to Tacoma.
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/5/6/15566446/s2-announces-plans-to-move-to-tacoma

I really do not like this trend of MLS teams trying to monetize their reserve squads and gobbling up cities where independent teams could potentially thrive. This is one of the instances where I wish the governing body would step in. 

Amanda, Chung, Gardener, Baldisimo, Norman, Serban, strarting for WFC2 at Tulsa on right now. Paris Gee playing (at CB) for Tulsa, I thought there were rumors he was ineligible for some reason??  

The shameless self promotion of USL by the announcers is actually pretty funny.  Greatest, most wonderful 2nd division in world!!  HEHEHE, I am waiting for UT to start debating them on the relative strengths of second divisions.  And as I hit enter, Tulsa scores on a beauty free kick.  

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Amanda, Chung, Gardener, Baldisimo, Norman, Serban, strarting for WFC2 at Tulsa on right now. Paris Gee playing (at CB) for Tulsa, I thought there were rumors he was ineligible for some reason??  

The shameless self promotion of USL by the announcers is actually pretty funny.  Greatest, most wonderful 2nd division in world!!  HEHEHE, I am waiting for UT to start debating them on the relative strengths of second divisions.  And as I hit enter, Tulsa scores on a beauty free kick.  

Paris Gee was not a CB. He was a holding central midfielder. The commentator said it was his first start of the season and had high praise for him when he was subbed out.

My mistake, while i was watching he was sitting very deep, thought he was in the backline.  He was very involved and looked like he could be a starter for Tulsa even though i think its only his second game.  I guess any eligibility problems he may have had are worked out.  

Haber was named to the team of the week, 1G and 2A against Colorado.  No other Canadians this week.  Out of maybe 40-50 CDN playing in USL, we are consistently seeing somebody on the team of the week, not too shabby.  Plus Pasher finally got his first MLS game with SKC.  Hopefully VWC and TFC will have some CDN USL kids playing in CDN championship.  

Archived