2017 NWSL Season

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rkomar said:

I guessing that is the last of the youtube live streams of games we enjoyed before.  Hopefully they'll put them up a few days later, but we'll see.

My bet is that only some games will be on TV and the rest will still be on YouTube but as you say, we will see. I'm just happy that they will be on a network that I can actually get (I don't at the moment but I will gladly pay the extra $1.00 a month to get it :) ). In the past it has been frustrating when it was impossible to legally watch the games that were on TV.

THIS JUST IN NWSL HAS A TV DEAL http://deadline.com/2017/02/lifetime-national-womens-soccer-league-tv-deal-ae-networks-stake-1201900415/

Lifetime (which is in more US homes than EPSN, Fox Sports and I think Univision) will air a game with pre-show every Saturday starting at 3:30 for the next 3 years. A + E (Lifetime's parent company) with also aid in live streaming games.

“This partnership is not only tremendously significant in the continued growth of the NWSL, but representative of how far the league has come in four years and where it can go in the future,” said U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati. “A+E and its resources are a fantastic fit for women’s professional soccer and will have a major impact on continuing to raise the profile of what we feel is already the best and most competitive league in the world.” 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the NWSL in trouble? will it go the same fate as the previous women leagues?  This article seems to intimate some reason for concern when all the top US players are jumping ship and going to Europe.  It is precisely these top players who attract spectators to the games.  It appears the main reason is one of money, where group of players have been trying to negotiate for equal pay and the US Feds seem reluctant to budge.  I remember Hope Solo was excluded from the negotiating committee and now Carli Lloyd (who is a close friend of Solo) has been removed from the group as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/02/19/heres-why-u-s-womens-soccer-stars-are-taking-their-talents-to-europe/?utm_term=.b2138b0b547b

On 2/20/2017 at 2:03 PM, The Ref said:

Is the NWSL in trouble? will it go the same fate as the previous women leagues?  This article seems to intimate some reason for concern when all the top US players are jumping ship and going to Europe.  It is precisely these top players who attract spectators to the games.  It appears the main reason is one of money, where group of players have been trying to negotiate for equal pay and the US Feds seem reluctant to budge.  I remember Hope Solo was excluded from the negotiating committee and now Carli Lloyd (who is a close friend of Solo) has been removed from the group as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/02/19/heres-why-u-s-womens-soccer-stars-are-taking-their-talents-to-europe/?utm_term=.b2138b0b547b

I'm not overly worried yet.  If the trend continues next year it might be cause for concern but this year is kind of a perfect storm for it.  With the USWNT players being out of contract they had the flexibility to go for the money contracts in Europe and without any looming Global competitions there was nothing to lose.  But of the US players that went, Crystal Dunn and Heather O'Reilly are the only ones without plans to come back for part of the NWSL season.  Heather O'Reilly doesn't feature for the USWNT anymore and we don't know if she would have been allocated this year.  Crystal Dunn was likely fleeing the train wreck that is the Washington Spirit and I doubt we will see her back in the NWSL unless she is traded to another team or her contract with Washington is no longer valid.  

But it is something to watch.  I don't see the league folding next year but they will need to continue increasing wages sooner rather than later.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could anyone say what Canadians status is in NWSL?

And in other US or US-CAN leagues now or historically?

We are trying to bolster arguments for full parity in MLS and need points of comparison.

U could also pm me if u want.

Canadians take up an international spot in the NWSL unless they are allocated by the CSA.  Canadian allocated players do not take up an international spot.

1 minute ago, MrsC said:

Canadians take up an international spot in the NWSL unless they are allocated by the CSA.  Canadian allocated players do not take up an international spot.

Hi, thanks. And allocated really means what, the CSA paying part or all of a salary?

How about in previous leagues, was there ever a league that accepted Canadians as full domestics?

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hi, thanks. And allocated really means what, the CSA paying part or all of a salary?

How about in previous leagues, was there ever a league that accepted Canadians as full domestics?

Allocated means the CSA pays the full salary.  Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to previous leagues to know what Canadian status was.  I followed WPS but was kind of oblivious to issues like that back then.  @carolynduthie do you know?

6 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Allocated means the CSA pays the full salary.  Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to previous leagues to know what Canadian status was.  I followed WPS but was kind of oblivious to issues like that back then.  @carolynduthie do you know?

I could appreciate, if when there were Canadian teams in a N American women's league our players did get full access to the States, that the US was the dominant team in the world and they had no need to have protectionist measures. 

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I don't really remember in detail, but I'm pretty sure Canadians counted as internationals just like anyone else. IIRC they had like a draft for international players when the league was first starting and a couple Canadians went in that so I can't imagine they were treated any differently than any other internationals. 

2 hours ago, MrsC said:

Damn that sucks.  Makes me wonder if she rushed too quickly to get back for the world cup.  ACL's are a bitch though. Might have happened anyway.

Perhaps this will force Herdman to use some new player. 

• 1 month later...

The NWSL season has kicked off. Here's what happened for Canadian women:

GK - Labbe, D'Angelo and Sheridan all started for their respective teams. D'Angelo got the clean sheet while Labbe and Sheridan each let in one (Sheridan's was a PK)

DF - Zadorsky is now the Spirit's captain, and played 90 at CB. Chapman played 90 and picked up a yellow.

MF - Leon (the only Canadian in NWSL who isn't allocated) started and played 71 minutes.

FW - Sinclair played 90 and scored. Beckie started and played 68 minutes.

Of note, 3 of the 10 CSA allocated players did not see the pitch. Matheson is injured, Desiree Scott was an unused sub, and Nichelle Prince was not in the 18. I would imagine that if the CSA is paying the salaries of these players, that they should see the pitch if healthy. I guess that's why the CSA are allocating less players to the league year over year.

8 hours ago, shermanator said:

The NWSL season has kicked off. Here's what happened for Canadian women:

GK - Labbe, D'Angelo and Sheridan all started for their respective teams. D'Angelo got the clean sheet while Labbe and Sheridan each let in one (Sheridan's was a PK)

DF - Zadorsky is now the Spirit's captain, and played 90 at CB. Chapman played 90 and picked up a yellow.

MF - Leon (the only Canadian in NWSL who isn't allocated) started and played 71 minutes.

FW - Sinclair played 90 and scored. Beckie started and played 68 minutes.

Of note, 3 of the 10 CSA allocated players did not see the pitch. Matheson is injured, Desiree Scott was an unused sub, and Nichelle Prince was not in the 18. I would imagine that if the CSA is paying the salaries of these players, that they should see the pitch if healthy. I guess that's why the CSA are allocating less players to the league year over year.

FWIW, Scott was listed as doubtful on the injury report this week (she went down for a bit in the Canada game with what looked like an ankle injury so possibly related to that?) and Prince has been flying back and forth between Houston and Columbus to finish school and so I imagine has been missing a lot of practice, so I don't think it was super likely either of them were going to see much time this week anyways. 

[ 1 ]  Unfortunately , Diana Matheson's injury is listed as SEI - season ending  injury.

[ 2 ] Dual-national Lindsay Agnew wasn't in the 18 for the Washington Spirit

[ 3 ] American Maegan Kelly ( who has a Canadian parent ) was subbed in the 81' by FCKC ( replacing Sydney Leroux) and she got one shot on goal.

• 2 weeks later...

[ 1 ]  Rose Lavelle and Kinley McNicoll were team mates at the University of Wisconsin for three years ( McNicoll being one year ahead ). Over those three seasons,  McNicoll had more goals, more assists and more points than Rose Lavelle. It's a shame that Canada attempted to convert McNicoll to a full back when all her college success was in the midfield. Flash forward to the present, Rose Lavelle was drafted first overall in the 2017 NWSL College Draft by the Boston Breakers  and has  a goal and and assist in her first three pro matches. ( Lavelle is a likely candidate for NWSL  rookie of the year ) And Kinley McNicoll ?  Basically retired from soccer.

[ 2 ] Player stats:

Rose Lavelle    University of Wisconsin (Badgers)  stats ( 2013-2015 ):

2015         19 gp    19 gs   7 goals    3 assists     17 points

2014          24 gp   23 gs    3 goals  10 assists    16 points

2013         19  gp   19 gs    6 goals   7 assists     19 points

TOTALS    62 gp   61 gs    16 goals  20 assists    52 points

Kinley McNicoll  University of Wisconsin ( Badgers ) stats ( 2013 - 2015):

2015         20 gp    20 gs      4 goals    2 assists      10 points

2014         24 gp    23 gs      9 goals    9 assists      27 points

2013         19 gp    19 gs      6 goals    13 assists    25 points

TOTALS    63 gp    62 gs      19 goals   24 assists   62 points

Archived