2017 NWSL Season

[ 1 ]  NWSL  fixture rescheduled:        NWSLVerified account @NWSL 2h2 hours ago   Schedule Update: @ORLPride match against @ReignFC has been moved to Thursday, Sept. 7, at 8 p.m. ET. Details: http://nwsl.us/2gGNOCA

[ 2 ]  QUESTION OF THE DAY:  Does Adriana Leon finish the season with a higher point total than Christine Sinclair?

Current tallies:

Adriana Leon               21 GP  18  GS    5 goals   5 assists    15 points

Christine Sinclair :       21 GP  21  GS    7 goals   0 assists     14 points

Three  remaining fixtures :

Sept 10  2017       Portland @ Boston

Sept 23  2017       Portland @  Orlando    ,     Boston  @   Washington

Sept 30  2017       Chicago @ Portland    ,     Sky Blue @   Boston

[ 3 ]  My guess is yes. (  If they finish tied then my guess is also wrong.  )

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sinclair has been pretty unselfish this year, often helping others to score rather than trying for points herself.  Yet, it's clear that Portland's offense goes through her, and they have scored 15 more goals than Boston (33-18).  I think it's great that Leon is having such a successful year points-wise, but even if she ends up ahead of Sinclair in points, I still see Sinclair as having the better year.

• 3 weeks later...

[ 1 ]    Jeez.   Five different Australian players scored goals today:

Ann Odong ?Verified account @AnnOdong 19m19 minutes ago   Raso, Sykes, Kerr, Crummer and Kennedy all scored today in the #NWSL. Add Williams and Catley and Aussies have brought it this season!

[ 2 ]  Going to preface this by saying that both Sinclair and Leon had productive seasons this year -- which is good for Canada.   That said, Adriana  Leon finished the 2017 NWSL season with a  higher point total than Christine Sinclair,  making Leon  Canada's top scorer in the NWSL this year.

Adriana Leon        24 GP 21 GS  1782 min    6 goals 6 assists  17 sog     18 points

Christine Sinclair   24 GP 24 GS  2143 min    8 goals 0 assists  26 sog     16 points

• 2 weeks later...

[ 1  ]  It's true,  the NWSL final was full of obstruction, hard tackles and chippy fouls. The match was  very physical and there were few opportunities at goal. It was the direct opposite of the European  final between Denmark and the Netherlands which was free flowing , end-to-end  and  full of passing and running.

[ 2  ] The NWSL trophy has got to one the ugliest trophies in sports. It's a  misshapen  asymmetrical  hollowed-out plaque mounted on a pedestal  besides a gigantic hard-boiled egg yolk. Really the NWSL should opt for something more traditional like a sleek silver cup with handles and ribbons.

[ 3  ]  Despite the lack of aesthetics to the match ,  I'm glad Christine Sinclair  won another championship.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts by Melissa Tancredi and Desiree Scott on NWSL expansion to Canada (  maybe in two  years ? ):

https://the11.ca/tancredi-scott-hopeful-nwsl-will-soon-have-canadian-teams/

quotes from the article:

TANCREDI:  “We’ve been talking about it for years and years, and I think we’re on the cusp of actually making something happen,” said Tancredi. “It’s been a massive process for the people involved. It’s not easy to kind of give the ball to the NWSL and get a Canadian team, obviously. It’s something we’ve needed for a very long time now, since 2012, we were always hoping to have it that next year, that next year, that next year.”

TANCREDI: “Now we’ve bought in with our consistency, with our results now, that’s what gets people attracted to it. It’s results driven. But, now it’s putting things into a process and seeing things happen, hopefully in the next two years we’ll have a Canadian team.”

SCOTT: “I’m very fortunate to be able to play in the NWSL. I’ve played over in England. She’s played in Sweden and all over the world. There’s more opportunities continuing to grow, year in and year out. With a Canadian team, maybe two Canadian teams coming into the league, the opportunities will to continue to grow.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:07 AM, NickH said:

Real Salt Lake are going to operate an NWSL franchise for the 2018 season.  Some sources report this as a takeover of the troubled FCKC franchise.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2017/11/16/real-salt-lake-to-operate-nwsl-franchise/

Well, that sucks.  FCKC have been a very successful team over time, yet they're in danger of collapsing.  Maybe it _is_ time to find more appreciative fans.

Archived