2017 NWSL Season

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really on topic here but thought I would mention that Mapleblood and I are going for the full Gold Cup group stage tour 2017 and have found a way to add two Houston Dash games to the itinerary. Anyone else on tour may want to consider similar add ons.

Gold Cup/NWSL itinerary:

Jul 6 - Arrive Harrison, NJ, July 7 Can vs French Guiana

Jul 8 - Arrive Houston, Houston Dash vs Portland Thorns

July 11 Can vs Costa Rica

July ? Arrive Dallas (Frisco), July 14 Can vs Honduras

July 15 Arrive Houston, Houston Dash vs Washington Spirit

July 16 Arrive home or elsewhere

On 6/21/2017 at 5:38 PM, Sport Shaman said:

Not really on topic here but thought I would mention that Mapleblood and I are going for the full Gold Cup group stage tour 2017 and have found a way to add two Houston Dash games to the itinerary. Anyone else on tour may want to consider similar add ons.

Gold Cup/NWSL itinerary:

Jul 6 - Arrive Harrison, NJ, July 7 Can vs French Guiana

Jul 8 - Arrive Houston, Houston Dash vs Portland Thorns

July 11 Can vs Costa Rica

July ? Arrive Dallas (Frisco), July 14 Can vs Honduras

July 15 Arrive Houston, Houston Dash vs Washington Spirit

July 16 Arrive home or elsewhere

That sounds fun.  I wish I was in a position to travel for this.  The Portland Thorns away section on the 8th will be  231 if that interests you :) 

13 hours ago, MrsC said:

That sounds fun.  I wish I was in a position to travel for this.  The Portland Thorns away section on the 8th will be  231 if that interests you :) 

We were thinking about getting our tickets behind the Away players bench which I think puts us in Section 108 but haven't made a final decision yet.

• 3 weeks later...

So, as it turned out, Steven and I went to Lucky's Bar for a pre game meal and beverage and caught the tail end of an American Outlaws watch party for their game against Panama. Met up with Jeff from the Houston chapter here and visited with him and some of his friends while we ate. Then as we were going to head out to the game, it was an absolute downpour which delayed the start of the match. That is when we met Jim, a Dash and Dynamo season ticket holder and had a drink with him while we waited it out. As we talked we mentioned that we were going to buy our tickets at the gate and he said he had two spare tickets because his wife and son were out of town and we could have them for $20 apiece.  Cash was exchanged and the round of drinks finished.

As it turns out these were $48 tickets in PC4 which is the President's Club VIP seating section. Sweet deal!! Big Canadian flag went over the railing at field level between the two player's benches and we shared our appreciation for Sinclair, Prince and Beckie, Final score was 1 - 1 with Beckie getting the Dash goal. Then we ran into Outlaw Jeff again and partied at Lil Woodrows across from Luckys until about 2 AM. Another awesome night with more great Texas hospitality. Loving it down here!!

57 minutes ago, Sport Shaman said:

So, as it turned out, Steven and I went to Lucky's Bar for a pre game meal and beverage and caught the tail end of an American Outlaws watch party for their game against Panama. Met up with Jeff from the Houston chapter here and visited with him and some of his friends while we ate. Then as we were going to head out to the game, it was an absolute downpour which delayed the start of the match. That is when we met Jim, a Dash and Dynamo season ticket holder and had a drink with him while we waited it out. As we talked we mentioned that we were going to buy our tickets at the gate and he said he had two spare tickets because his wife and son were out of town and we could have them for $20 apiece.  Cash was exchanged and the round of drinks finished.

As it turns out these were $48 tickets in PC4 which is the President's Club VIP seating section. Sweet deal!! Big Canadian flag went over the railing at field level between the two player's benches and we shared our appreciation for Sinclair, Prince and Beckie, Final score was 1 - 1 with Beckie getting the Dash goal. Then we ran into Outlaw Jeff again and partied at Lil Woodrows across from Luckys until about 2 AM. Another awesome night with more great Texas hospitality. Loving it down here!!

You guys are having too much fun. I think I'd be throwing in the towel ... couldn't keep up :)

53 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

You guys are having too much fun. I think I'd be throwing in the towel ... couldn't keep up :)

I happen to know that you and the rest of Team Sask can not only keep up but you often set the pace. Who else can work most of the day, drive countless hours to a game and then do pregame, game and post game right until the bitter end? I know a guy named Rob that does exactly that.

Today is a quiet day so far to recharge a bit but we will probably hit a sports bar to watch the Jamaica and Mexico matches. We are thinking about taking a day trip to the NASA centre and maybe Galveston tomorrow but final decision not yet made.

1 hour ago, Sport Shaman said:

I happen to know that you and the rest of Team Sask can not only keep up but you often set the pace. Who else can work most of the day, drive countless hours to a game and then do pregame, game and post game right until the bitter end? I know a guy named Rob that does exactly that.

Today is a quiet day so far to recharge a bit but we will probably hit a sports bar to watch the Jamaica and Mexico matches. We are thinking about taking a day trip to the NASA centre and maybe Galveston tomorrow but final decision not yet made.

Chuckle. Well I appreciate the sentiment. And agreed, if there are some friends, a beer or two, and some soccer at the end of a long road, I'm willing to drive it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Portland vs. Washington game this weekend featured two Canadian captains starting in the same game (Sinclair and Zadorsky).  Has that happened before between other pairs of teams?  I can't remember if Matheson ever captained Washington, but I can't think of any other Canadian that may have captained an NWSL team.

^One example comes to mind. Erin McLeod was the captain of the Houston Dash in their inaugural season ( 2014 ) in the NWSL.. Thus, two Canadian captains faced each other  on  April 12, 2014, the   NWSL  season opener : Houston Dash ( McLeod ) vs Portland Thorns ( Sinclair )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8F5h5XTR8k

the broadcasters ( Jen Cooper ) also  talk about this in the youtube archive of the match ( 24.55 ' )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leon, along with about a billion others that include Christine Sinclair, is tied for fifth in NWSL scoring. Who foresaw she'd be leading the line so effectively in the NWSL two years ago? (And her friendlies against Costa Rica were decent too!)

New Jersey Sky Blue coach Christy Holly has stepped down.  No replacement has been named as yet.  Their next game is Saturday 19th against Seattle.  The Sky Blue is currently in 6th place.  Canadian goalkeeper Kailin Sheridan plays for Sky Blue.

[ 1 ] The  NWSL season is  not over yet, but to date, Adriana Leon is Canada's top scorer in the NWSL --  ahead of Christine Sinclair, Janine Beckie ( and even Sydney LeRoux) . Adriana Leon is clearly the 2017 Comeback Story of the Year ( in Canadian women soccer) . From the CANWNT viewpoint, Leon  must  maintain this good level of play right up to  2019/2020.

[ 2 ]  Youtube fan vid ( musical ) :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQaZn1fenFc

[ 3 ]  Here's one to ponder: Adriana Leon wearing the uniform of the Western Sydney Wanderers in the ( Australian ) Westfield W- League: 

/2a5gnb6.jpg

It's weird that Sinclair has five goals but no assists to date, since most of the play moves through her.

Nichelle Prince has been impressive in her rookie year.  She is definitely making smarter runs and passes now than I remember in her U-XX tournament play.  It's great to see so many of our young forwards developing so well.

[ 1 ]   I wonder if Canada should show some interest in Maegan Kelly?  Kelly is an American forward/midfielder with a Canadian passport  who  is  (or was?)   a US U23 player ( her last US U23 camp was in 2014 ). She's not the quickest of players but her 2017 NWSL  stats are impressive. She's currently the second leading scorer on FCKC ( just 1 goal behind Leroux)  on really   small minutes:

Sydney Leroux 18GP 18GS  1562 min played  5 goals 1assist  22 sog  53 shots

Maegan Kelly  17GP  3GS    430 min played  4 goals 1assist  12 sog   22 shots

[ 2 ]  Recent Maegan Kelly cv:

http://www.tfsportsgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Maegan-Kelly-CV.pdf

Maegan Kelly college profile ( 2010-2013 ):

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/maegan_kelly_713252.html

Soccerway:

http://ca.soccerway.com/players/maegan-kelly/336147/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived