2017 NWSL Season

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The draft will be Jan 12th.

Both Buchanan and Lawrence may be drafted if they don't go to Europe.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/canadian-soccer-stars-kadeisha-buchanan-ashley-lawrence-mull-over-club-futures-1.5873090

I'll update this post as the season schedule is announced.

From their twitter game,I'm pretty confident that Lawrence will go to PSG. Buchanan is still hiding her cards, and I wouldn't be shocked that they will still play together next year for club and country.

EDIT: Also, PSG's manager said that he's getting a Canadian international  who will play wide (dans le couloir) who is also young. Looking at our Olympic 18, only 2 really fit the description: Rose who commited to Florida and Lawrence. 

http://www.culturepsg.com/news/feminines/patrice-lair-confirme-l-arrivee-prochaine-d-ashley-lawrence/13361

Two-thirds of the NWSL still play on artificial surfaces (eye roll).  Lawrence would be more suited to grass than Buchanan, so if it's true glad to hear she is going somewhere suited to her game. And Charlety is a fantastic venue in downtown Paris.  It would also be good timing, PSG need help in the middle.

Here's a list of eligible Canadian players for the upcoming draft.

M Lindsay Agnew Ohio St Dublin, OH (former U20)
M/F Brittany Ambrose Santa Clara Vancouver
GK Maryse Bard-Martel Memphis Boisbriand
GK Stephanie Bukovec Belmont Toronto
M/F Summer Clarke LSU Richmond, BC
M Emma Fletcher, California Victoria, BC
D/M/F Jenna Hellstrom Kent State Sudbury
M/F Tyler-Rae Molloy Mobile St. Albert,
GK Hope Sabadash Southeastern Louisiana Missisauga
M/F Valerie Sanderson Memphis Deux-Montagnes, Qc
GK Kailen Sheridan Clemson Whitby, ON

In the I'm not sure what her Canadian status is, but it's indicated in the presser as Canadian/American

D/M Darcy McFarlane, North Carolina Mill Valley, California

Updated intl slots: Bos: 0, CRS: 2, Hou: 0, FCKC: 0, Orl: 0, NC: 1, PTFC: 1, SRFC: 2, SBFC: 1, Was: 2

3 replies 5 retweets 3 likes

[ 1 ]  If  Kailen Sheridan doesn't come with an automatic allocation to the NWSL by CSA then her chances of being drafted into the NWSL are low.  At this moment, there are only 9 total international slots still open prior to the 2017 NWSL college draft. To begin with, one can rule out Boston, Houston, Kansas, and  Orlando who all have no open slots left. In addition,  seven of these open slots belong to four  teams with strong defenses/goal keeping:

- Portland Thorns:  the best goals against in NWSL in 2016 with 19 GA ( Betos/Franch)
-Chicago Red Stars : 20 GA in 2016 ( Naeher/Dalton) , tied for third in the NWSL
-Seattle Reign : 21 GA in 2016 ( Kopmeyer/Solo/Tostanoski ) , tied for fifth in the NWSL
-Washington Spirit: 21 GA in 2016 ( Labbe/ Wys ), tied for fifth  in the NWSL

[ 2 ]  To me, that only leaves two teams  North Carolina ( the recently relocated and 2016 NWSL Champions WNY Flash) and Sky Blue, both with only one open international slot.  In 2016,  WNY's   26 GA was ranked sixth in the NWSL  but  they  already  have one Canadian keeper on the team : Sabrina D'Angelo.  Thus, Sky Blue is really Sheridan's best chance in to be drafted into NWSL:   their 30 GA was ranked eighth in the NWSL in 2016 and the goal keeping tandem of Stanley/Casey while serviceable  were unimpressive.

[ 3 ] If behind the scenes it is  understood that Sheridan will be automatically allocated by the CSA then she is in play with all ten teams of the draft and  probably rated the #2 GK prospect behind Stanford's  Jane Campbell

[ side note ] TBH, the club status of keepers like Solo and Labbe is a little up in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaylyn Kyle and Josée Bélanger are not allocated in NWSL this year. They are in a weird draft that will happen soon. Nichelle Prince and Kailen Sheridan are allocated. Lindsay Agnew isn't. 

So here are the 10 allocated players per team
Boston: Chapman
Houston: Beckie, Prince
Kansas City: Scott
North Carolina: D'Angelo
Portland: Sinclair
Seattle: Matheson
Sky Blue: Sheridan
Washington: Labbé, Zadorsky

53 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Kaylyn Kyle and Josée Bélanger are not allocated in NWSL this year. They are in a weird draft that will happen soon. Nichelle Prince and Kailen Sheridan are allocated. Lindsay Agnew isn't. 

So here are the 10 allocated players per team
Boston: Chapman
Houston: Beckie, Prince
Kansas City: Scott
North Carolina: D'Angelo
Portland: Sinclair
Seattle: Matheson
Sky Blue: Sheridan
Washington: Labbé, Zadorsky

Did it not Washington got purchased by North Carolina Courage?

24 minutes ago, shermanator said:

What does it say for the NWSL that the CSA is choosing to allocate (which means funding salaries) for less and less players?

I don't know. I mean, we have 3-4 players who are on the national team playing abroad which we didn't have at the beginning of NWSL. Also, we had a lot of players who weren't playing and I'm sure the CSA didn't like how it worked before. I think a lot of them are expected to have minutes which wasn't the case before. 

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

Brazilians are still the "sexy" player to American clubs, ignoring the fact that Canada is ranked higher in the world than Brazil is in the women's game.

Exactly.  Also there seems to be some influence from Brazilian staffers to sign Brazilian players, sight unseen, over other countries.

[ 1 ]   So it was Josee Belanger's decision not to return to the NWSL :

QUOTE:    

Josée Bélanger wanted to leave the National Women’s Soccer League to spend some time back home in Montreal, where she has business interests with her longtime boyfriend, according to the club. 

QUOTE:

After Bélanger, 30, returned from winning a bronze medal in Rio, she told the Orlando Sentinel she was conflicted about whether to continue playing soccer for another international cycle. Her body had been bruised and broken over the years and she wanted to have children some day, she said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-sp-soccer-insider-alicia-delgallo-0126-story.html

Archived