Canada vs. Mauritania - Oct. 6, 3PM EST - In Game Thread

hamiltonfan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Steedman said:

For those of you who actually care about FIFA rankings, we beat a team ranked 7 above us. Such gains. Mauritania - 96, Canada - 103 

This should help our ranking, should it not? Over the next couple of years, this should be a focus for us. 

Only got to see this game last night. Can't remember the last time we scored three goals in such quick succession before. Actually probably four because I think the Straith header (shortly before the first goal) that they were claiming was in was in. That entire sequence from the goal that wasn't to the goal that was scored was both interesting and bizarre - a bit of unsportsmanlike behaviour by Mauritania which then came to bite them in ass.

Most interesting thing for the game is hearing all of the communication on the field with the crystal clear audio and lack of fans in the stands. I could be wrong but I don't think I heard a single peep out of Hoilett the whole game (maybe I just didn't recognize his voice), nor Arfield - interesting that two of the highest-level-playing on the team aren't the most vocal of communicators.After making a good defensive tackle in the box late in the first half Doneil can be heard telling someone to "Shut the fuck up!" - not sure who that was it was aimed at - I'm guessing a Mauritanian player claiming it should have been another PK? The "Kuschie get in there, he doesn't look well" - I think from Vitoria who injured the Mauritanian player in question - was also somewhat amusing, as was Aird calling Bustos "Wee Man" (because Aird is of course the same size as that 6 foot 7 giant Mauritanian defender).

On the actual game - the 4-0 scoreline is a bit deceiving. Full value for it in the second half but I wouldn't have predicted that after the first half. Tissot was a real weak link in the first half (but then played great in the second), I actually blame him mostly for the PK because it was his man that he left waltz into the box and caused the crisis situation to begin with. If Henry doesn't try to make that tackle, the attacker just waltzes further and deposits the ball into the back of the net. Mauritania seemed to enjoy most of their attacking success down our left side the whole game - Dixon on the right, in comparison, held his own.

It looked like we were playing a 4-1-3-2, with Hoillet, Arfield & Osorio making up the three, I think in that order (Arfield & Osorio seemed to interchange a lot). Some good combination work there during the game, and it's a shame we never saw this combo during WCQ with Hutchinson or Johnson in behind them. As for the "2" Ricketts seemed to be playing up front but also making the 3 in midfield a "4" at times. Nice finishes by Ricketts on his second & Vitoria on the second goal of the game. Haber scored but I thought he was probably the most invisible player for us otherwise.

Bustos looks very promising to me, impressed by the close control and ability to spin and turn and find pockets of space. Can Vancouver try this guy a bit more please in their remaining couple of games, given that they have nothing to play for in the regular season?

35 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Only got to see this game last night. Can't remember the last time we scored three goals in such quick succession before. Actually probably four because I think the Straith header (shortly before the first goal) that they were claiming was in was in. That entire sequence from the goal that wasn't to the goal that was scored was both interesting and bizarre - a bit of unsportsmanlike behaviour by Mauritania which then came to bite them in ass.

Most interesting thing for the game is hearing all of the communication on the field with the crystal clear audio and lack of fans in the stands. I could be wrong but I don't think I heard a single peep out of Hoilett the whole game (maybe I just didn't recognize his voice), nor Arfield - interesting that two of the highest-level-playing on the team aren't the most vocal of communicators.After making a good defensive tackle in the box late in the first half Doneil can be heard telling someone to "Shut the fuck up!" - not sure who that was it was aimed at - I'm guessing a Mauritanian player claiming it should have been another PK? The "Kuschie get in there, he doesn't look well" - I think from Vitoria who injured the Mauritanian player in question - was also somewhat amusing, as was Aird calling Bustos "Wee Man" (because Aird is of course the same size as that 6 foot 7 giant Mauritanian defender).

On the actual game - the 4-0 scoreline is a bit deceiving. Full value for it in the second half but I wouldn't have predicted that after the first half. Tissot was a real weak link in the first half (but then played great in the second), I actually blame him mostly for the PK because it was his man that he left waltz into the box and caused the crisis situation to begin with. If Henry doesn't try to make that tackle, the attacker just waltzes further and deposits the ball into the back of the net. Mauritania seemed to enjoy most of their attacking success down our left side the whole game - Dixon on the right, in comparison, held his own.

It looked like we were playing a 4-1-3-2, with Hoillet, Arfield & Osorio making up the three, I think in that order (Arfield & Osorio seemed to interchange a lot). Some good combination work there during the game, and it's a shame we never saw this combo during WCQ with Hutchinson or Johnson in behind them. As for the "2" Ricketts seemed to be playing up front but also making the 3 in midfield a "4" at times. Nice finishes by Ricketts on his second & Vitoria on the second goal of the game. Haber scored but I thought he was probably the most invisible player for us otherwise.

Bustos looks very promising to me, impressed by the close control and ability to spin and turn and find pockets of space. Can Vancouver try this guy a bit more please in their remaining couple of games, given that they have nothing to play for in the regular season?

Great analysis!

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I could be wrong but I don't think I heard a single peep out of Hoilett the whole game (maybe I just didn't recognize his voice), nor Arfield - interesting that two of the highest-level-playing on the team aren't the most vocal of communicators.

I don't like overanalyzing body language or demeanor during games (because it just helps fuel half-baked conspiracy theories), but I couldn't help notice Hoilett out there.  There was one point where we had a free kick in the second half on the far side and it seemed like Findlay was shouting for Tissot to take it (with "quality" of course) but Junior just stood over the ball.  Now, I don't mind him doing that because he can deliver a great ball, but it's interesting when you defy a coach like that.

He's an amazing player and integral to our attack, but sometimes it looked like he was bored out there.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I really like what Bustos showed when he was on.  The knock about him has been his speed/hustle, but being a track star isn't necessary for someone with his skillset.  Really hope he sees more of the pitch in the next few games.  Not sure why he wouldn't.

39 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I really like what Bustos showed when he was on.  The knock about him has been his speed/hustle, but being a track star isn't necessary for someone with his skillset.  Really hope he sees more of the pitch in the next few games.  Not sure why he wouldn't.

He has everything from a skills perspective and I don't expect him to be a track star but the times he has played at the MLS level he had trouble catching up to people dribbling the ball. The effort was there but just couldn't keep up much less catch up and get goal side. Compared to other short players like Techera he is much slower.

I'm hoping over this off season he works on improving his speed. It can be done and he doesn't have to complete with Usain Bolt but he does need to be able to catch up and get goal side on a player dribbling the ball.

Aside from that he has great first touch, excellent passing, accurate shooting, understands the game in a way few do. You can see that he is so close to being there.

I don't know if Bustos will get time on the field for the Caps for our last 2 games as there is this Davies guy who's just been killing it.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

He has everything from a skills perspective and I don't expect him to be a track star but the times he has played at the MLS level he had trouble catching up to people dribbling the ball. The effort was there but just couldn't keep up much less catch up and get goal side. Compared to other short players like Techera he is much slower.

I'm hoping over this off season he works on improving his speed. It can be done and he doesn't have to complete with Usain Bolt but he does need to be able to catch up and get goal side on a player dribbling the ball.

Aside from that he has great first touch, excellent passing, accurate shooting, understands the game in a way few do. You can see that he is so close to being there.

I don't know if Bustos will get time on the field for the Caps for our last 2 games as there is this Davies guy who's just been killing it.

I think Bustos has good acceleration over short distances. Quick bursts of speed.

He's been knocked for his lack of hustle in the past, but he's capable of moving much faster than someone like Jonathan Osorio who is one of the slowest midfielders in MLS.

2 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

I think Bustos has good acceleration over short distances. Quick bursts of speed.

He's been knocked for his lack of hustle in the past, but he's capable of moving much faster than someone like Jonathan Osorio who is one of the slowest midfielders in MLS.

Yes quickness is more important than straight line speed. Especially with the ball where he excels. Like I said it wasn't his lack of effort that I noticed.

I would like to see the 40 yard sprint speed for Osorio and Bustos but I doubt Osorio is slower. As long as they keep position they can deal with faster players but when caught out of position it shows. I like both.

In general, you need a minimum level of athleticism to play pro soccer at any reasonable level, this is isn't the 1980s or even 1990s any more. You can read about European scouts from the big clubs who won't even look at players who aren't top tier athletes now. Now, that doesn't mean Bustos can't play at MLS level but you even see guys like Mezquida for the senior 'caps who aren't able to make a big difference because they are not able to keep up athletically.

Archived