Canada vs. Mauritania - Oct. 6, 3PM EST - In Game Thread

hamiltonfan

4 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes totally agree. Although DeRo's strike rate for Canada is only a goal every 3.68 games. Not much better than Tosaint's. I haven't done any comparisons of the strength of opposition both faced mind you. 

I know I made this point in another thread ages ago, but the fact that every other significant CONCACAF nation's top goal scorer not only has way more goals scored but also their top player in terms of strike rate is much better than 3.5 - 4.0 goals/game makes for depressing reading. And Larin's 3.8 goals per game is right there with the others :(

I'm guessing you mean 1 goal per 3.5-4 games, not the other way around.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes totally agree. Although DeRo's strike rate for Canada is only a goal every 3.68 games. Not much better than Tosaint's. I haven't done any comparisons of the strength of opposition both faced mind you. 

I know I made this point in another thread ages ago, but the fact that every other significant CONCACAF nation's top goal scorer not only has way more goals scored but also their top player in terms of strike rate is much better than 3.5 - 4.0 goals/game makes for depressing reading. And Larin's 3.8 goals per game is right there with the others :(

I think you mean Larin scores every 3.8 games, but we'll take 3.8/game

Arfield and Hoilett alone make a huge difference.  Honestly, without them I could see this easily ending in a loss or draw like 3 years back.  Once we caught our rhythm there was never any doubt but that first half was a little nervy.

Hopefully Hutchinson rejoins the fold in November because we could have a very competitive side for the 2017 Gold Cup, if we put our best foot forward.  Personally I think we are going to have the best team we've had in 10 years by the time June 2017 rolls around, it would be a shame if we go in with an interim manager.. but we will. 

2 minutes ago, mowe said:

I think 0-0 or even a 1-0 loss would have been a better result, we need to focus on our defensive identity.  

/s

How could a loss ever better a win? The objective is to win football matches. We've done that while giving some younger players a run out. 

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Arfield and Hoilett alone make a huge difference.  Honestly, without them I could see this easily ending in a loss or draw like 3 years back.  Once we caught our rhythm there was never any doubt but that first half was a little nervy.

Hopefully Hutchinson rejoins the fold in November because we could have a very competitive side for the 2017 Gold Cup, if we put our best foot forward.  Personally I think we are going to have the best team we've had in 10 years by the time June 2017 rolls around, it would be a shame if we go in with an interim manager.. but we will. 

I think we need to start looking towards life without Hutchinson. We don't know if he is done internationally yet, but at minimum he has said he won't be around the next World Cup qualifying cycle.

I'm okay with calling him in up until and including the Gold Cup, but if he won't be around for World Cup qualifying we need to move on once the Gold Cup is over with.

I've been watching a lot of videos on Klopps tactics lately because the man's an absolute stud, and I noticed we applied or tried to apply some counterpress (our very mild version of it) at times. It seemed to really work well too, as we'd win the ball much higher up the pitch and be able to make a quicker transition into offense as opposed to trying to break down 11 men which we've proven to have MAJOR problems with!

I find when we pass the ball around the back, our FBs aren't good enough with the ball at their feet or in their movement for us to move up the pitch as a unit. 

More generally, I'm just happy I don't have to watch any more Floroball ridiculousness. 

43 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I thought we had all agreed that was the El Salvador J team.

Honduras didn't win in El Salvador either. They were a tough nut to crack.

and Mauritania only narrowly lost to Tunisia

Damn, I missed the webcast. Anyway, its great to win back to back games even if this is just an exhibition.  We are now 1-1-1 against Mauritania. Maybe its fitting that we start the new era off with a sound win against a team Floro could not beat or score against. 

Good luck Benito, where ever you are... 

7 hours ago, Joe Keeper said:

Damn, I missed the webcast. Anyway, its great to win back to back games even if this is just an exhibition.  We are now 1-1-1 against Mauritania. Maybe its fitting that we start the new era off with a sound win against a team Floro could not beat or score against. 

Good luck Benito, where ever you are... 

http://canadasoccer.com/livestream-p159575

Still up I believe. Enjoy.

Archived