Canada vs. Mauritania - Oct. 6, 3PM EST - In Game Thread

hamiltonfan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Addona said:

What the hell happened between the 1st and 2nd half!!!  Holy shit!  Did M. sub out a lot of starters?

It took them the first half to remember Floro wasn't the coach anymore. So they started attacking 2nd half, while incredibly still "holding shape" and not conceding a goal. Who knew!

Just now, apbsmith said:

It took them the first half to remember Floro wasn't the coach anymore. So they started attacking 2nd, while incredibly still "holding shape", and not conceding a goal.

They seem to be really pushing the pace in the offensive half. I don't know if that's by direction or they're just pumped to be up a few goals.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Can you imagine if Ricketts surpasses DeRo as Canada's Top Scorer?

Never going to happen. Larin will but not Tos. Nothing against the guy but I just don't see it. He is only 29 so he will have another cycle but he usually plays wing where you get less chances. I hope he proves me wrong and scores a dozen next qualifying round 3 years from now. Ya just never know.

PS. Nice PK stop by Thomas. Great to see him back in the rotation even if it is just for a game against a minnow (like us).

27 minutes ago, TRM said:

Never going to happen. Larin will but not Tos. Nothing against the guy but I just don't see it. He is only 29 so he will have another cycle but he usually plays wing where you get less chances. I hope he proves me wrong and scores a dozen next qualifying round 3 years from now. Ya just never know.

PS. Nice PK stop by Thomas. Great to see him back in the rotation even if it is just for a game against a minnow (like us).

Really? You dont think he can score 9 goals? Hes got at least 5 years left. Half those games will be against minnows. Hes got at least half a chance. Wouldnt say "never going to happen"

1 hour ago, matty said:

Can you imagine if Ricketts surpasses DeRo as Canada's Top Scorer?

Eight goals to go to tie DeRo. Assuming he continues to be called he will likely have at least two Gold Cups, another round of WCQ, and a bunch of friendlies. He's currently scoring a goal every 3.79 games meaning he needs 30 or so more games to tie and 34 more games to surpass assuming he scores at the same rate. 

10 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Really? You dont think he can score 9 goals? Hes got at least 5 years left. Half those games will be against minnows. Hes got at least half a chance. Wouldnt say "never going to happen"

Like I said I hope he proves me wrong and scores a dozen (or two) and yea he has a chance but his strike rate as others have shown is low plus he usually plays on the wing (effectively too I might add).

1 hour ago, TRM said:

I would have to think that Thomas is at minimum the backup keeper at the moment and could even be pushing for the #1 job based on how his career is trending.

I don't have a great sense of Tippeligaen vs the Bulgarian First Division, but in going by UEFA coefficient, Thomas is a starting keeper in the better league, whereas Borjan is an occasional starter in the worse league.

There is a big gulf between Borjan / Thomas and the rest of them right now. Perhaps Crepeau works his way into the picture if he can actually get in some action in MLS.

26 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I know you are joking but we all know the FIFA Rankings are an absolute joke, and as such a fairly accurate reflection of FIFA itself.

The ELO rankings are the best available resource for assessing relative merit and going into today's match we were ranked #80 and Mauritania were ranked #126.

They are indeed a minnow compared to us.

http://www.eloratings.net/

(Scroll down to see the up-to-date rankings).

I don't think we should act all high and mighty calling others minnows when we can't even beat El Salvador B or Belize

32 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

So that equates to what, about 800 more chances needed? ;)

By the way, I like Rickets for his passion and energy but prolific he ain't.

Yes totally agree. Although DeRo's strike rate for Canada is only a goal every 3.68 games. Not much better than Tosaint's. I haven't done any comparisons of the strength of opposition both faced mind you. 

I know I made this point in another thread ages ago, but the fact that every other significant CONCACAF nation's top goal scorer not only has way more goals scored but also their top player in terms of strike rate is much better than 3.5 - 4.0 goals/game makes for depressing reading. And Larin's 3.8 goals per game is right there with the others :(

Archived