Could Quebec City support a C-League club?

I will love to see Quebec City part of the C-League. This will certainly be a great market and they do have the perfect 13,000 PEPS Stadium at the University of Laval. I will love to see the input from our Quebec/Voyageur representatives on this topic. Is it possible that Quebec City will ever be considered as a potential market? Will a serious investors of the likes of Quebecor consider the idea of investing in soccer? If the CFL are considering of placing a club in Regina (where soccer has never flourished) in the C-League, why not Quebec City.

ea25a650-1214-11e5-865a-f3cc83e25510_Sta

I will love to see Quebec City part of the C-League. This will certainly be a great market and they do have the perfect 13,000 PEPS Stadium at the University of Laval. I will love to see the input from our Quebec/Voyageur representatives on this topic. Is it possible that Quebec City will ever be considered as a potential market? Will a serious investors of the likes of Quebecor consider the idea of investing in soccer? If the CFL are considering of placing a club in Regina (where soccer has never flourished) in the C-League, why not Quebec City.

OK, everybody gets excited when they see Regina on the list.  Pro soccer in Regina does seem like a stretch, except for one thing - the Roughriders.  They have the infrastructure, corporate support, and a huge fan base that supports anything that is attached to them.  Keep in mind in Regina they run 3 Rider Stores to sell their merchandise.  This is in a city of 200K people.  I was in a Rider Store this week.  They sell Roughrider hand sanitizer - it's ridiculous but people buy it.  Quebec City may have Quebecor, but right now they are or should be totally focusing on their NHL bid.  Maybe later - they would be ideal owners.

By the way, I'm calling it now - the first event at the new Mosaic Stadium in Regina in the fall of 2016 will be an exhibition soccer game.  I have no idea who will play, but I think that's what will be the first test event.  The Roughriders don't move in until 2017.

Jason

Pro soccer in Regina does seem like a stretch, except for one thing - the Roughriders.  They have the infrastructure, corporate support, and a huge fan base that supports anything that is attached to them. 

Given that the whole reason this is happening is that the Roughriders have a nice new stadium, want to fill dates and they see soccer as a good fit I find the questioning of Regina to be ridiculous. This whole project got started (according to the rumour mill) thanks to the Riders. They were not an add-on or an afterthought.

I know this is a bit of a tangent to the thread, but I've seen people in Quebec City (mainly local politicians) quoted in newspapers like La Presse as saying they want a pro soccer team (which they seem to prefer as an option to the CFL) but has there been anything similar about Regina, or even Saskatoon, in the main Saskatchewan newspapers?

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/quebec-city-ready-pro-soccer-says-mayor-labeaume-3993121

I know this is a bit of a tangent to the thread, but I've seen people in Quebec City (mainly local politicians) quoted in newspapers like La Presse as saying they want a pro soccer team (which they seem to prefer as an option to the CFL) but has there been anything similar about Regina, or even Saskatoon, in the main Saskatchewan newspapers?

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/quebec-city-ready-pro-soccer-says-mayor-labeaume-3993121

There has been nothing. I don't think it's on anyone's radar except a few Vs. In a way that's good because there isn't the lag time between a pseudo-announcement and an actual announcement. On the other hand, no publicity could also be seen as no interest.

IMHO it's a real crap shoot as to whether or not ppl here will get behind it or not.

Honestly I think you guys are kind of looking at this all wrong.  Is the support there?  Only one way to find out.  I'm starting up FB supporters group to actually do something about it.  Posters, Social Media - Boots on the ground.  Add me on FB if you are crazy enough to think that this thing could work.  Sitting is the new smoking folks.

Guillermo del Quarto - thats me.  

O Canada Bitch

Having never been to Quebec City I can't say if it will work but I imagine this potential league will have a similar strategy as the Ottawa Fury and that's marketing the games as something to do with the kids as opposed anything related to soccer. In that sense they're competiting with movie theatre, amusement places, museums, etc... which depending on the pricing this league could be successful in a lot of cities.

If Ameublements Tanguay and Quebecor are behind it, it will work. Québec City has a problem because it doesn't have TV media behind it. We look at the Capitales in Québec City and they don't have games on TV despite the fact that there are 5 sports TV channels in Quebec, because those channels are based in Montreal, though both RDS and TVA Sports have one journalist based out of Quebec City, not more and the cover only big events like boxing and the Roiuge et Or.

• 5 months later...

What if a rich local businessman decided to put up some $ to create a Chivas of Bilbao like club?  There are not enough French-Canadians to have a competitive club, but if you supplemented the team with Francophone imports (France, Haiti, Ivory Coast) maybe they could be decent.  Build an academy, also pick up any Impact academy leftovers, and maybe you have something.

I cannot think of a better plan to try to attract a Quebec City audience to a Canadian league.  The whole "us against the rest of the country" works when it comes to Laval football, as they pretty much just use local kids on that team.  And I can't see a scenario where this team would cause issues with Canadian unity.  Maybe some of their ultras might be nationalists, but that would probably make the rivalries a bit more interesting.  Just a thought...

Jason

On 2015-08-13 at 8:14 AM, rob.notenboom said:

Seriously. There is almost nothing you can't get in this city with a Rider logo on it. I should post pics. Some pretty hilarious items.

Rolling papers? Toilet paper? Just curious  ;)

On 27/1/2016 at 11:24 PM, Jason said:

What if a rich local businessman decided to put up some $ to create a Chivas of Bilbao like club?  There are not enough French-Canadians to have a competitive club, but if you supplemented the team with Francophone imports (France, Haiti, Ivory Coast) maybe they could be decent.  Build an academy, also pick up any Impact academy leftovers, and maybe you have something.

I cannot think of a better plan to try to attract a Quebec City audience to a Canadian league.  The whole "us against the rest of the country" works when it comes to Laval football, as they pretty much just use local kids on that team.  And I can't see a scenario where this team would cause issues with Canadian unity.  Maybe some of their ultras might be nationalists, but that would probably make the rivalries a bit more interesting.  Just a thought...

Jason

What would be amazing is to have a rivaltry between Montréal and Québec, or even have a French vs English rivaltry in Montreal!

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Macksam said:

Did something noteworthy happen yesterday?

If C-league happens, it would seem pretty foolish not to include Quebec City, maybe I'm jumping the gun, but why not start organizing and planting the seeds now?  Worst case scenario they aren't in the original lineup but starting an official supporters group could change that.  If you build it they will come sort of mentality.  

But then again, I'm not in QC, I just think people are a little crazy not to start planning now.  2018 seems far away now, but it'll come quicker than people think.  Why not?

Archived