April 29 The Final Impact vs Club America

Impact announce 2000 additional tickets for this historic match on sale today at noon.

Club American will be staying at the Delta Hotel according to one newspaper source. 

No decision yet on Bush's yellow card appeal. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confirmed, game will be on Sportsnet One. There is a free preview of the channel this month.

Tweet: @JohnMolinaro

" FYI: Wednesday's Impact-America game will air live on Sportsnet ONE (free preview this month) at 8pm ET. @impactmontreal #IMFC @Sportsnet"

Why would you say Nicht is a crappier version of Smits? If you beat Bayern Munich in a cup fight, you know what it's like to play a high pressure game. Considering what's riding on this game I think it's an excellent decision (albeit very late). Still a great experience for Smits to even be on the bench for this one. 

From a club perspective, I absolutely agree Keegan. That being said, I am not an Impact supporter, so I do not have to aimlessly root for the Impact simply because they happen to play in Canada. It's a move that makes sense if you want the Impact to win a trophy, but it's not at all a move that benefits the development of players in Canada. A microcosm of the symptoms that we see at a grassroots level that lead to 8-1 losses in Honduras when everything is on the line.

I've only seen Nicht play once, it was a 2-1 loss to FC Edmonton and Smits last year. I've seen Smits play about 20 times, and have seen some fantastic saves and some terrible miscues. I would say neither keeper struck me as being superior to the other based on the one game.

My issue here is this. How are we as a country supposed to improve as a soccer playing nation, if an unproven Canadian player has a chance to play on a big stage, but the club decides to go out and sign a German replacement just 48 hours before said game? What does this mean for Crepeau, who is now 4th on the depth chart? What does this mean for the other keepers on FC Montreal, who will now struggle to get playing time at that level?

You don't see the value of a Montreal win for the development of the game in Canada? In front of 50.000 and maybe even a record TV audience in the country?

As for the goalkeepers, Cepeau should cut his teeth in the USL team, just like intended. Smits needs to push Van Oekel out of goal for FCE first. Kronberg should probably leave Montreal or, also possible, Impact loan Nicht back to Indy after this one game. Poblem solved.

With the exception of the 20 minutes Tissot will get off the bench, no, I don't see a win for a Canadian club that has minimal Canadian talent on the first team as a good thing for the development of the game in this country. It is a good thing for the city of Montreal, and the club itself, but not for the national team.

The number of fans in the stands is irrelevant. The majority of fans at tomorrow night's game won't be at another Impact game all year. There were 55000+ in the stands in 2009 when the Impact defeated Santos Laguna. There were 60000+ in the stands in 2012 for the home opener. So what?

I won't go in the Club vs Country war, but how many times has Smits practiced with the team? Nicht was here for most of training camp, so he knows the team a lot more. I disagree with shermanator on the fact that because he's Canadian,Smits should start. Had Smits been in training camp with the Impact, I would have taken him over Nicht in a heartbeat, but now that the roles are reversed, I'm taking Nicht over Smits, because he has practiced more often with the team. It's not based on experience or the fact that one is German and one is Canadian, it's based on familiarity. It has nothing to do on nationality which is what shermanator is trying to pin this decision on. You can be angry about the fact that Bernier isn't starting and that Ouimette was cut and that JGL rarely makes the bench, that Tissot doesn't start as often as you want, but the goalkeeper situation is something else, IMHO.

Like I mentioned earlier, from a club perspective the acquisition of Nicht makes sense. But as a Canadian soccer supporter, I'm not going to sit here and act like the Impact winning the CCL is this massive development for the game in this country.

I guess I will just have to agree to disagree with the majority of folks on this subject.

I won't go in the Club vs Country war, but how many times has Smits practiced with the team? Nicht was here for most of training camp, so he knows the team a lot more. I disagree with shermanator on the fact that because he's Canadian,Smits should start. Had Smits been in training camp with the Impact, I would have taken him over Nicht in a heartbeat, but now that the roles are reversed, I'm taking Nicht over Smits, because he has practiced more often with the team. It's not based on experience or the fact that one is German and one is Canadian, it's based on familiarity. It has nothing to do on nationality which is what shermanator is trying to pin this decision on. You can be angry about the fact that Bernier isn't starting and that Ouimette was cut and that JGL rarely makes the bench, that Tissot doesn't start as often as you want, but the goalkeeper situation is something else, IMHO.

I totally agree, Klopas et al probably trust Nicht more because they've seen him more.

Final of the Champions, do everything you can to win. Not having a sub keeper ready is an obvious team error. The whole idea that the Canadian value of an Impact win is lost if Smits does not play is totally ridiculous, are you guys nuts? If you want Canadian content, ask for it in the regular season and the Voyageurs Cup, in the week in week out. Not in the frigging final of the Champions league vs. Club America. 

Some people are totally f-cking crazy, Impact winning will be immense for Canadian soccer.

If the Impact win, however they do it, it will be the biggest single win of a sports team in Montreal history and one of the biggest in Canada. And then they'd go to the World Club Cup final in Japan next December. 

The key question is not keeping, it is having the whole team ready to handle the pressure of such a big match, since most players do not have that kind of experience. I think that America is favourite for this reason, sorry to say.

Final of the Champions, do everything you can to win. Not having a sub keeper ready is an obvious team error. The whole idea that the Canadian value of an Impact win is lost if Smits does not play is totally ridiculous, are you guys nuts? If you want Canadian content, ask for it in the regular season and the Voyageurs Cup, in the week in week out. Not in the frigging final of the Champions league vs. Club America.

Some people are totally f-cking crazy, Impact winning will be immense for Canadian soccer.

If the Impact win, however they do it, it will be the biggest single win of a sports team in Montreal history and one of the biggest in Canada. And then they'd go to the World Club Cup final in Japan next December.

The key question is not keeping, it is having the whole team ready to handle the pressure of such a big match, since most players do not have that kind of experience. I think that America is favourite for this reason, sorry to say.

CA is definitely the favourite but am I crazy to think the Impact have a solid punchers chance at victory? CA didn't show much to me in terms of opportunities and those they had they consistently wasted.

^ yes, I felt CA's many shots on goal were not of consistent quality or danger and that Montreal only really let them in during the final 15 minutes which could be excused due to altitude and smog.

To chime in on the club/country debate: first of all, the crowd does matter because it makes the event huge in the public eye, thus inevitably creating more general consciousness of the sport in local terms, and by extension the national team. Also the 60k represents impact fans all together at one event rather than a third of them at a time at league games, as opposed to this idea that it is a crowd full if casual fans. Of course some are casual but less than has been suggested above IMO.

Another thing is that IMFC, TFC, and VWFC are developing young Canadians at the academy and reserve levels. How much and how effectively can be debated on another day, however I happen to think that the Impact are doing a fairly good job of that. My point though, is that anything that would exponentially create prestige, fame, income etc for one if these clubs will inevitably contribute to those young Canadians' development, be it in terms of attracting top coaching, increasing the number of youth players, bringing in higher quality experienced talent to mentor, etc.

Preach brother preach. Amen to this^

^ yes, I felt CA's many shots on goal were not of consistent quality or danger and that Montreal only really let them in during the final 15 minutes which could be excused due to altitude and smog.

To chime in on the club/country debate: first of all, the crowd does matter because it makes the event huge in the public eye, thus inevitably creating more general consciousness of the sport in local terms, and by extension the national team. Also the 60k represents impact fans all together at one event rather than a third of them at a time at league games, as opposed to this idea that it is a crowd full if casual fans. Of course some are casual but less than has been suggested above IMO.

Another thing is that IMFC, TFC, and VWFC are developing young Canadians at the academy and reserve levels. How much and how effectively can be debated on another day, however I happen to think that the Impact are doing a fairly good job of that. My point though, is that anything that would exponentially create prestige, fame, income etc for one if these clubs will inevitably contribute to those young Canadians' development, be it in terms of attracting top coaching, increasing the number of youth players, bringing in higher quality experienced talent to mentor, etc.

Exactly. This could be huge in the long run.

I would say normally CA would be favorite BUT:

1. Club America is not in form

2. They played just three days ago, in fact this will be their 4th game in 10 days. Ouch.

3. To make things worse, they had to travel 4500 km skipping a couple of timezones. Montreal has been able to focus completely on this game for a week now.

On the physical side MI probably has a huge advantage. Do they have the quality to take that to the bank? I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

IF   THE  Impact  win   this,  this  could  be  the  biggest  victory   for  a  Montreal  sports  franchise  since  the  93   Habs.  America  will  be  the  favorites   I  do  know  that    But  if  Montreal    can  defend  well  and  leave  America    from  shooting   from  long  distance   Montreal  have  a  good enough  chance.  A Victory  will  do  wonders   for   Soccer    here  in  Canada   and  also  for  Quebec  too.  

http://refereeingworld.blogspot.com/2015/04/concacaf-champions-league-final-second.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RefereeingWorld+%28Refereeing+World%29

29 April 2015

Montreal Impact – Club America
Referee: Henry Bejarano (CRC)
Assistant Referee 1: Leonel Leal (CRC)
Assistant Referee 2: Octavio Jara (CRC)
Fourth Official: Jeffrey Solis (CRC)

Archived