April 29 The Final Impact vs Club America

Exactly. This could be huge in the long run.

I would say normally CA would be favorite BUT:

1. Club America is not in form

2. They played just three days ago, in fact this will be their 4th game in 10 days. Ouch.

3. To make things worse, they had to travel 4500 km skipping a couple of timezones. Montreal has been able to focus completely on this game for a week now.

On the physical side MI probably has a huge advantage. Do they have the quality to take that to the bank? I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

I counted 8 starters for their last 2 games (April 26 against Gualadajara and April 22 against L'Impact). Tiredness will be a factor on America's squad. It's never easy to play 3 games in 7 days.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://refereeingworld.blogspot.com/2015/04/concacaf-champions-league-final-second.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RefereeingWorld+%28Refereeing+World%29

29 April 2015

Montreal Impact – Club America

Referee: Henry Bejarano (CRC)

Assistant Referee 1: Leonel Leal (CRC)

Assistant Referee 2: Octavio Jara (CRC)

Fourth Official: Jeffrey Solis (CRC)

Anyone have any input on this crew? Good? Bad? CONCACAF?

Jealous of the people who will be at this match. When I lived in Toronto, the CCL matches were always my favourite and just had something extra about them.

Same here , Good luck to the Impact , will be trying to see it in a bar in Guelph somewhere !

On a personal level, I hate the Impact.  Nevertheless, this could be the 3rd biggest win all time in Canadian soccer history (after the World Cup in 86 and the Gold Cup in 2000).  Just making the final is a massive accomplishment.    

However, this massive accomplishment in Canadian soccer will always be tainted by the lack of Canadians in the starting 11.  International club football is not supposed to be about hiring a full squad of international mercenaries.  If it was Bernier, Issey, Occean, Hainault, Tissot, Ouimette, JGL out there, this would have a lot more meaning for Canadian soccer and the local Quebec scene.  

Anyway it is what it is.  Lets hope Tissot has a good 20 minutes out there at least.  

This is a winnable game.  Club America isn't Barcelona.  Lets see what happens.     

For those who think that the lack of Canadian starters takes away from this match or an Impact win, why? What real effect does it have? Did people in Montreal cheer for the Expos back in the 80s but then turn around and deride the team for not having any Canadian players? I know Larry Walker played in the early 90s but had he played in an American city would that have had less an impact on baseball in Quebec?

I think the real impact a run or, fingers crossed, a championship like this has is it inspires more youth to play soccer and those who play at a high level commit to higher aspirations. A generational talent like Patrick Roy can inspire youth on their own but teams can do it as well. A comparative for me is the successful run of American teams in the NHL. The Detroit, Colorado, New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia teams of the 90s seems to have inspired a new generation of players that now make the Americans a legitimate world hockey power.

No, clubs like Chelsea, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich would never field foreigners to win important games. 

Bayern: Neuer, Lahm, Boateng, Schweinsteinger, Muller, Gotze + 6 more

Real: Casillas, Ramos, Isco, Arbelloa + 5 more

Chelsea: Cahill, Terry + 3 more

There should be at least one Canadian on the pitch.  Impact are the only team in Concacaf who do not start any domestic player.  Shameful.

Just win baby, just win. Think about it in terms of a Habs hockey game. If they won the Stanley cup with no Canadians on the team would the kids in Montreal be any less thrilled? Would they say "When I grow up I'm going to be a Hab" or "They didn't play any Canadians"? I'd love to see some Canucks make the field of course but you go with the best you got available in a single game winner takes all final. 

Well, I think it goes without saying that this is going to get really, really, fun the longer Montreal stays in front.

Maybe "fun" isn't quite the write choice of word.

Dobbie has it right though, and we saw this the 1st leg, CA don't defend worth a damn under urgency. 

Man I don't get what Oduro is doing out there. What does he bring to the table? A haircut and two yellows drawn? At one point it looked like Klopas would be a genius if Orduro had drawn a CA defender into a second yellow by pushing the ball past him and taking the foul but when that doesn't happen...

Man I don't get what Oduro is doing out there. What does he bring to the table? A haircut and two yellows drawn? At one point it looked like Klopas would be a genius if Orduro had drawn a CA defender into a second yellow by pushing the ball past him and taking the foul but when that doesn't happen...

Oduro has been great in this tournament. Even tonight he made a lot of great runs with Piatti consistently refusing to pass him the ball. 

Oduro's counterattacking danger (and Duka and Piatti"s) is the only thing the Central American teams haven't had an answer for in the tournament (until they tired themselves out tonight). I wouldn't fault him at all.

Oduro has been great in this tournament. Even tonight he made a lot of great runs with Piatti consistently refusing to pass him the ball.

What? I don't remember one run tonight were he challenged the CA defence. He took the ball, pushed it past a defender and the drew a foul. He corralled a few passes and then either gave it away with a bad pass or ran into defenders. He may have had a couple off the ball runs where Piatti didn't give it up to him but I'm not surprised as Piatti is a creative player and Oduro is one dimensional. When ever I watch the Impact and see Oduro playing up top I can't help but think what let down he is from Di Viao.

Oduro's counterattacking danger (and Duka and Piatti"s) is the only thing the Central American teams haven't had an answer for in the tournament (until they tired themselves out tonight). I wouldn't fault him at all.

I wouldn't fault him either because I would never expect anything different. But as an Impact fan I'm pissed that management hasn't set this team up with some better than a player who's best attribute is tiring defenders out.

I'm proud of my club for making acquisitions like Ciman, Piatti, Toia and Cabrera that allowed us to go far in the tournament. I'm also proud of the players who tried hard even though they don't come from here, and probably never heard of the club until it hired them. I'm glad Tissot and Bernier got a run out and I look forward to the day there are several homegrown Canadians starting in big games. It will come eventually. I was very impressed with how America played once they had confidence. They looked spectacular. I don't know where that was for the first three halfs of the series but one half was enough with how they played it so congrats to them.

I wouldn't fault him either because I would never expect anything different. But as an Impact fan I'm pissed that management hasn't set this team up with some better than a player who's best attribute is tiring defenders out.

Well he did his job, and we are missing Mapp and Porter. But yes, there is still a DiVaio shaped hole in this club and I'm sceptical that Cooper can squish himself into it.

I'm proud of my club for making acquisitions like Ciman, Piatti, Toia and Cabrera that allowed us to go far in the tournament. I'm also proud of the players who tried hard even though they don't come from here, and probably never heard of the club until it hired them. I'm glad Tissot and Bernier got a run out and I look forward to the day there are several homegrown Canadians starting in big games. It will come eventually. I was very impressed with how America played once they had confidence. They looked spectacular. I don't know where that was for the first three halfs of the series but one half was enough with how they played it so congrats to them.

Well said. My sentiments exactly.

Archived