FC Edmonton 2015 Season

Lance has already played for Jamaica a few times so he's a known quantity. It's not like their midfield is a bunch of scrubs, either. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a call, just that he has a lot of work to do.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meow. Perhaps I should have stated it was more of a sarcastic posting.

Laing has had a great couple seasons, and I'd like him to play more international games with the Reggae Boyz and yes be sold for a nice fee to another league.

There's probably a number of reasons why Laing is still in Edmonton. First, I think he likes the city. as he also lives in Edmonton in the offseason. Maybe he likes the cold!

Also, maybe the pay in Edmonton is better than what he would have received in MLS? Also, the fact that when he signed an extension while the potential for a labour dispute was still ongoing could factor in as well.

• 2 weeks later...

3-2 loss to San Antonio, Mallan Roberts with a bad mistake gifting the winning goal to SA. A positive to take away from this match is that they scored 2 goals even though they didn't start significant offensive players like Laing, Nyassi and Ameobi (wasn't even in the squad) in preparation for the Vcup 2nd leg against Vancouver.

Noticed Smits got back on the pitch this week. I only saw the highlights but he had a couple of big saves and the goals didn't look to be his fault. Can anyone enlighten me on how his overall game was? Think he could be winning the spot over MVO?

Sador tweeted out just before the lineups were officially posted. Looked alright when he arrived at the pub afterwards though.

Smits looked good. I'm not convinced he's not at fault for the first goal, seemed to have come off his line early. Absolutely beautiful combo of saves in the first half off a free kick (4th min I believe) and came up big when there was some miscommunication between the defense. Just for those two plays, absolutely man of the match.

In my opinion, his distribution was poor to start the game, but as he got used to the players again, it got much better. I would wager that we see him for a few games now.

Other big story was Ameobi getting hurt. Was helped off the pitch by Watson and the medic, and was limping quite badly around the goal to the bench. Talked to him at the bar after the game and he said that he was going for X-Rays today (Monday) but seemed really optimistic. Said that he might miss the Ottawa game, but didn't think he would be out much longer (which is fantastic news for FCEd fans).

Jones easily could have had another... just a beautiful play by Laing I believe to set him up in almost the exact same way as Ameobi did. Header went only a few inches over the bar.

I didn't look at the announced attendance but the stadium looked a lot better from what I saw...hope the lower attendances to start the year were just a weather thing similar to previous years.

Yes, crowd looked much better than previous games on TV. 3,756

They got treated to lots of goals too so hopefully they come back.

^^^ He is big and slow, especially slow if he has the ball at his feet. Basically a target man but not very mobile, useful for set pieces or drawing a foul but does neither of those things well very often. Maybe his service could be better but he is far from a sure thing when it comes to doing something useful with the service that he gets. Has also been injured a lot with various niggling ailments. Frankly (pardon the pun) Ameobi, Nyassi, Laing, Jones and others are more dangerous finishers and have other elements to their game. I like Frank but he has to start earning his keep. Interesting to see what the future holds for him; either gets it going or doesn't get re-signed. 

^^^ He is big and slow, especially slow if he has the ball at his feet. Basically a target man but not very mobile, useful for set pieces or drawing a foul but does neither of those things well very often. Maybe his service could be better but he is far from a sure thing when it comes to doing something useful with the service that he gets. Has also been injured a lot with various niggling ailments. Frankly (pardon the pun) Ameobi, Nyassi, Laing, Jones and others are more dangerous finishers and have other elements to their game. I like Frank but he has to start earning his keep. Interesting to see what the future holds for him; either gets it going or doesn't get re-signed.

You would think 30 and not resigning in Edmonton would be then end of his career.

I think Jonke is more useful holding up the bar than trying to get on the end of long, vertical service. Ameobi, by contrast, definitely thrives on a direct style.

Jonke's generated chances and even in Finland scored in streaks. He was also heroic against Montreal and Vancouver in the Voyageurs Cup. I decline to give up on him.

Jonke didn't exactly win the spot, he was gifted the spot by Miller. When Ameobi is healthy Jonke will be a sub, at best. Even Jalali, who hasn't exactly been impressive in his 3 years in Edmonton has shown more this year than Jonke, albeit in more of an attacking mid role. Even when getting the start last week, he did absolutely nothing up top.

But, to give him his due, Jonke did force a penalty in the Voyageurs Cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Having only watched the highlights, I do believe his was the worse performance of Eddies this season (ok maybe on par with their opener against Jacksonville).

BUT, they were missing Laing (who's been responsible for 50% of the goals made with 4 goals and 4 assists) and Roberts who hasn't missed a minute so far. Add to that the absence of Ameobi (3 goals 2 assists) and it's obvious that Miller couldn't exactly field his strongest side yesterday. 

I don't know what happened, but Moses seems to have fallen out of favor. Which is kinda surprising. And the keeper-sub could be very debatable, unless Smits was injured or got sick or something.

Archived