FC Edmonton 2015 Season

@Dub Narcotic : What? Don't get the reference.

This had the potential to be a horrible road trip. All the factors that were needed for disaster were in place... Laing away, Hanson away, Ameobi injured, Jones injured, Smits injured. If you're a Canadian fan, you have to love the fact the CanSoc numbers on the pitch for Edmonton lately, especially the players from Edmonton.

I for one am really amped for the rest of the season. Should be a fun ride, especially when Laing is back.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Big game this weekend as FC Edmonton host the Fury at Shell Place in Fort McMurray. Hoping for a bigger crowd this time around for this all Canadian affair. This should also be this first chance we get to see the new signing Salvadoran International Dustin Corea.  

Big game this weekend as FC Edmonton host the Fury at Shell Place in Fort McMurray. Hoping for a bigger crowd this time around for this all Canadian affair. This should also be this first chance we get to see the new signing Salvadoran International Dustin Corea.  

Hope the Eddies luck continue's in Ft Mac, will be a tougher match vs NASL's top of the table Ottawa though me thinks.

Wouldn't count on a big crowd. Went through the tickets left available the other day and it was about the same as what sales looked like before the first Fort Mac game. At the very least, it puts an end to any speculation or worry about FCEd moving up to Fort Mac.

MASSIVE game as has been stated already. Should be a lot of fun too. Laing will be back for FCEd, as well Ameobi and Jones should be back. The true starting 11 for FCEd (none of that Jonke starting). Should be a good test for both clubs I think.

You'd be surprised at what you hear. And there was an article making the rounds through the NASL fanbase awhile ago that suggested that due to poor attendance, Fath was looking at moving the club to Fort Mac.

Just people chatting, they're only here for sponsorship dollars. Must be looking to cash in on the Oil companies, but looking through the Match day section in the Edmonton Sun, there are at least 5 Fort McMurray based 2015 Corporate Partners.

• 2 weeks later...

FCEd is actually really good about announcing the actual people in attendance. I would guess (actually I know, seeing as how I couldn't make the game) that there were more people who had tickets.

This week is the Edmonton Fringe Festival and its massively popular and incredibly well attended here. Not trying to make any excuses, the club needs to create more public awareness. But there was a lot of other things going on.

I think Ottawa has similar programs to Edmonton with minor soccer groups. We talked with a guy associated with Ottawa early on in the year, but lost the audio and can't quite remember. Don't think they're papering the house, but I think tickets are much easier and cheaper out there.

EDIT: Just read through the Ottawa thread... Ya season ticket holders were getting a freebie ticket. So that's a whole lotta tickets that aren't paid for. Edmonton does something kinda similar, but the free tickets with SSH is limited to 3-4 for the year.

Nothing saying they can't at some point. However, they really need to focus on creating a brand that's recognized in Edmonton, rather than changing things up. Another 5-10 years maybe and it would be a legit idea, but for now, the crest isn't the worst thing out there (Miami FC anyone?) and its creating some recognition.

I don't disagree. When I was with the supporters group, I had created a crest mimicking the FCEd one for the group, but had a wild rose in the middle rather than the soccer ball.

I suppose.  I guess I just see it as bland, like I hardly ever see people wearing merch and part of me can't help but feel its because it's just a soccer ball(which to the average edmonton doesn't mean a lot).  I guess I just feel like they'd sell more merch, get the brand out there more, build up some steam.  Plus the rabbit thing is bad ass.  Like idk, I have some friends who are kinda eurosnobish, and I feel like it would be easier to sell it to them if it had more character.  Plus, isn't it ripped off from some little spanish club?

I guess the NASL ball would be better, although personally I'm not a huge fan of soccer balls in logos.  

I suppose you're right though, it's not the worst.  But I think I might make my own merch and give some out.  

I don't really like the Miami one, but at least it has some character.  Idk I just think ours could be better.  Just cookie cutter yknow.

I know rebranding is expensive and difficult, but I guess I feel like it might be worth it at some point.

Huh? I've seen a ton of FC Edmonton merch around the city. Not as much as Oilers and Eskimos obviously, but there's a lot out there. There's a guy who walks past my office quite regularly with a 2011 FCEd jersey and a 2015 game ball.

FCEd has been widely respected for years in the NASL for their ability to sell merch. I think that they might have been out done only by the Cosmos (global brand recognition) and perhaps the Rowdies this year (they have a much more visible team store to my understanding).

Ours is very cookie cutter. If you go into the way-back machine, there are tons of alternate crests created and posted on this very forum. FCEd basically went as generic as possible (not ripped from any Spanish club to my knowledge, just taken and created with the colours of the city in mind... all on wiki).

I don't think having a different crest will help get more people in, or sell enough merch to make a difference. Its much much more than that. They need to get the average Edmontonian aware of FCEd initially. Then get them through the gate to the field. THEN they can worry about selling merch.

Side note: it can't be that bad.. one of the community clubs in my neighborhood ripped it off and is using it for their crest.

EDIT: Don't disagree with the change to the NASL ball. When the crest was created initially, there was no iconic ball design confirmed... guessing that's why they went with the standard black and white.

Well fair enough.  Personally I'm yet to see any outside of going to matches, but I suppose I have been known to be a bit of a shut in.  

To be fair I can't say for certain that they ripped it off, but it is exactly the same as this https://www.facebook.com/IndependienteFC123/timeline , but perhaps FCed gave them the rights.  I suppose that makes more sense actually.  

I'm not saying it's that bad, just saying it isn't that good either.  Not classic.  No flavour.  I'm still gonna root for em, but like I said I really wish they'd snag the wild rose before calgary does as a nice Middle finger to them.  

I'd be interested to see the alternates that people came up with.  

Archived