FC Edmonton 2015 Season

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it's switched to Mantracker. At least we were able to view some action in the 1st half, but I've given up. Not a good impression to leave viewers when they can't watch an advertised stream of the game. I can say that I won't be planning another Sunday around streaming an Eddies game for a while.

From the bits in the first half I was able to see, the backline was getting shredded in the first 15-20 minutes, and van Oekel had to make a number of saves to keep the team in it. Jonke completely unimpressive up front. Eddies lucky to be level 1-1 at halftime. Not sure how accurate a picture that paints but again the stream was very spotty.

Disagree with Jonke being a total bust. Watching him this year is very different from last year. He's moving, and trying to get places. The issue was that 9 times out of 10, there was no communication about what the plan was in the attacking third. The plan in the first half was obviously to get the ball to Laing, have him cross it, and try to get a foot on it. Don't know why they deviated from that in the second half, but there was no way that they should have spent as much time in their half as they did. And for the love of all things holy, they need to work on the communication. MVO saved the game any number of times.

Next up is the Ft Lauderdale Strikers, rebuilt in Brazilian style by the 3 new mega rich owners. Seven Brazilian players on the team I think, Leo Mauro and "PC" the best of the bunch. This may be a tough match as the strikers lost by 1 to the New York Cosmos and defeated Jacksonville Armada FC 2-1 last saturday.

Hoping for better weather and an improved effort from the Eddies!

I think Miller's discovered a new position for a player again. While I understand the want for Fordyce out there, I thought the mids today were the best position on the pitch without him being there. In particular, Sadi Jalali looked great out there as an offensive mid sub. Same situation, I'd rather see him on the pitch than Fordyce doing the same work, based on the last two games.

Van Okel is getting some criticism for giving up the soft goal... Can't fault people there, but in the Smits vs MVO battle, I still have to give the edge to MVO. Distribution is way better, and I think people have a somewhat rose coloured view of Smits. Didn't have as many wins as people seem to remember in the fall last year. I'm willing to stick things out with MVO for now.

Other interesting twist was the sub of Granitto for Raudales. Granitto did VERY well IMO.

The sub of Granitto really changed the game. He was tremendous. Jalali played the best I've ever seen him play. Staple Jonke to the bench. Would rather see Smits than van Oekel in net but I will agree that van Oekel's distribution is superior.

Also, very disappointing to see the low attendance numbers to start the year. Corporate support seems to be way up though so that should help.

If you go back far enough on this forum, you'll find a time when we would have been over the moon with the numbers yesterday. Not saying that its good, I just caution people to get ahead of themselves too much. Does the FO need to do more? maybe. I think its high time that the supporters step up and start promoting on a regular basis outside of the stadium. I know that I'll be doing what I can via the Co. to help awareness in Edmonton for the club, up to and including posting things downtown.

Curious about what you see in Smits. He had some VERY soft goals last year. The majority of his games, he benefited from solid defense, but had very few clean sheets.

Nyassi got player of the week. We deserved as he was a beast on the right side.

This has to be the best midfield I've ever seen on this team based on what I've seen from the guys that ended the game. Granitto was amazing in the middle. Helped break up the Strikers play in the midfield and distributed the ball very well. It also looked like he allowed Jones to get more in on the attack. For all the missed chances Jones had, just being able to be in that position to make those plays is promising and adds a lot to the attack. My only issue is that the backline looks weak yet. They aren't marking guys that strongly, like Roberts not following his man when Van Oekel bobbled the ball on that second goal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived