FC Edmonton 2015 Season

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By all accounts Smits had a dreadful first half and a rough time in Tampa. Having criticized Miller for sticking too hard to van Oekel, we can hardly criticize him for not sticking too hard to Smits.

The real problem is that the Eddies are still getting appallingly outchanced most games.

Success for the Eddies this year depends totally on Lance Laing and Ameobi. If these guys aren't on the field, they aren't going to score enough goals to win. Most of the remaining players who looked good last fall aren't playing at the same level this year, not sure why.

Im pretty sure I can outrun Frank Jonke. He's a professional soccer player, I'm not. That's a problem.

Def a whimper to end the spring season.

Yes I'm overly positive at times, but I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Miller quite yet. 1) He's already gotten letters of intent from 3 players to look at over the summer "break". Sounds like some internationals at that. Could be just what the dr ordered for a club limping into the break right now. 2) This club has been pushed hard over the spring. May was absolute torture for these players when you look at the fixtures. Absolutely crazy when you consider how far they travelled and how often they played.

The positives here are far outweighing the negatives for Miller. He's (even just by chance) changed Laing's position, which has given him the boost necessary to make the call up for Copa America. He's (helped) take a YOUNG academy player in Roberts and turned him into a national team player. The long and the short of the end of the season here is that they had 6 starters unable to play because they were called up or injured. Arguably Miller is on the hook for not having the depth available, but when you're on a budget, its harder to stock up.

As for the "its all through Laing and Ameobi", has everyone forgotten about Jones and Nyassi? Jones has as many goals as Laing does.

The positives here are far outweighing the negatives for Miller. He's (even just by chance) changed Laing's position, which has given him the boost necessary to make the call up for Copa America. He's (helped) take a YOUNG academy player in Roberts and turned him into a national team player. The long and the short of the end of the season here is that they had 6 starters unable to play because they were called up or injured. Arguably Miller is on the hook for not having the depth available, but when you're on a budget, its harder to stock up.

Miller's job is club success not national team callups, and he's had none of the former. I can't imagine him staying past the end of the year if he doesn't make the playoffs, and what are the odds of that? They probably have to win the fall season.

Depends who you ask. Fath's opinion has always been for FCEd to develop local talent. Miller and Paulus have completely succeeded in that with Roberts.

None of the former? So pushing Vancouver to the limit, as well as being an absolute force in the fall season last year doesn't count for anything hey? FCEd fans seem quick to forget these successes.

Yes I'm overly positive at times, but I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Miller quite yet. 1) He's already gotten letters of intent from 3 players to look at over the summer "break". Sounds like some internationals at that. Could be just what the dr ordered for a club limping into the break right now. 2) This club has been pushed hard over the spring. May was absolute torture for these players when you look at the fixtures. Absolutely crazy when you consider how far they travelled and how often they played.

As for the "its all through Laing and Ameobi", has everyone forgotten about Jones and Nyassi? Jones has as many goals as Laing does.

We can win when Ameobi is in the lineup. Not true when he isn't. The same doesn't apply to Jones, no correlation there.

It was like when Occean was up front for Canada, we could win, without him, we had nothing up front.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually had the pleasure of talking with Jeff Paulus on this weeks episode of the Loyal Company of the River Valley (Shameless plug).

From what he said: Cruz is a player they've wanted for awhile. Played a decent amount in Atlanta year before last, didn't catch with the manager in San Antonio last year. Good 1v1 player, looking to keep more possession in the midfield. Freitas is a bit of a question mark. Lots of high level experience (Greek, Hungry and Portugal first and second divisions), and plays more of the holding mid role.

Seems like VERY similar signings to what FCEd did this time last year (Raudales and Burt). If they've found another Raudales, that could make a massive difference. IMO he's a large piece of the puzzle that the club wasn't able to keep over the off season.

• 2 weeks later...

The Eddies just destroyed 9 man SA 4-0. some questionable reffing but both red cards were full value. The penalties were iffy, the second one was definitely outside of the area. Anyways Jalali, boakai and Laing (2) scored the goals. Laing's second goal was a stunner, they should probably go all out to resign him but I can't imagine him sticking around.

Laing deserves to be one of the higher paid players in the NASL ... Maybe it's time to sell high or lock him in long-term .. Hope Sadi performance is the end of the Jonke experiment ..  Johann Smith go on loan to an AMSL team .. great scoreline from todays game

As stated above game was in Fort Mac. I would be SHOCKED if a significant portion of the expenses for the club were not covered by Fort Mac Tourism as well. Sandor has a comment in his article about the game that this was to "woo" some corporate sponsors... Good news is that all the big VIP boxes were full apparently.

Decent enough result; unfortunate the way that the club won. It is good to see calls go FCEd's way for once though.

I wouldn't be surprised if FC Edmonton had made money on that game before they even sold a ticket.

Both penalties were outrageously bad calls, but the Scorpions shot themselves in the face, first with Attakora's legit red card then by losing their nut and forfeiting any shot at a comeback in a game they'd been doing well in with indiscipline.

Nice to see Jalali and Boakai troubling the scorers again.

Has anyone heard if Calgary area has anyone interested in a NASL franchise ? If one went into Spokane, would it make a sensible grouping with Calgary and Edmonton for fans to do the travel to away games, or is Spokane too far for Calgarians to travel too is they had a team ?

For context, google maps puts it as a 7.5 hour drive from Calgary.

To be honest, considering the FC Edmonton trip to Ft. McMurray sort of fell short just in the last week...I think there could be a reasonable comparison made there.  There are a lot of people that will say "I would do this if it came about" but not all would.

That said, I would do this if it came about.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived