Groundwork For Canadian Regional D3 Leagues

Tuscan

(View post below)

A proposal of mine. We are not getting anymore MLS team it's the simple truth. I don't think the NASL is ever going to compete with MLS, if this D1-A league joins USL Pro instead it would pretty much end the NASL. USL Pro is going to be a mix of Reserve teams and stand alones, the way it operates in Spain, Germany etc...and I think it has the potential to work. As for 4 Atlantic teams well i threw that out there, but its unlikely there'll be 4. Below that we can have D3 league similar to the way it is now just with the addition of the Western league that includes BC and Alberta. I don't believe the other provinces could support teams at this level. Next is the PDL levels for youth development, I think this is very work able. League would compromise of local teams, independent academies and academies of the professional teams. In the more sparsely populated provinces, the leagues could be more centred around the big cities i.e. Halifax region, regina etc.

This a pyramid for youth players to get to the top. 

There would obviously continue to be D4 amateur leagues like OSL.

post-90597-0-82786200-1417482278_thumb.p

I like the fact that they are addressing the travel issue up front. I does turn it into a series of tournaments instead of home & home games as pointed out. A good showcase but a league? Driving wise you are closer to Calgary in Thunder Bay than you are to Toronto.

I'm trying to see who would be their target market player wise and I'm having problems. Are the players paying to play? If so I find that a bit strange. How will you get players to join when PDL is free to them and in some cases provides room and board? Is this aimed at players who are graduated from the MLS academies but not good enough for USL-pro or NASL but don't want to go to university? 

Hopeful this works but I think USL-Pro will quickly become D3 with university+PDL doing its part for students. 

(View post below)

A proposal of mine. We are not getting anymore MLS team it's the simple truth. I don't think the NASL is ever going to compete with MLS, if this D1-A league joins USL Pro instead it would pretty much end the NASL. USL Pro is going to be a mix of Reserve teams and stand alones, the way it operates in Spain, Germany etc...and I think it has the potential to work. As for 4 Atlantic teams well i threw that out there, but its unlikely there'll be 4. Below that we can have D3 league similar to the way it is now just with the addition of the Western league that includes BC and Alberta. I don't believe the other provinces could support teams at this level. Next is the PDL levels for youth development, I think this is very work able. League would compromise of local teams, independent academies and academies of the professional teams. In the more sparsely populated provinces, the leagues could be more centred around the big cities i.e. Halifax region, regina etc.

This a pyramid for youth players to get to the top. 

There would obviously continue to be D4 amateur leagues like OSL.

If the D1-A league joined D3 USL Pro it would be a nonstarter - why would it want to join an even lower level league thats turned itself into a farm team/affiliate league for D1 MLS? You simply can't sell that.

Hitching itself to NASL, which is still a young league but quickly gaining stature and stability in its first few years and is an independant Pro league which has high ambition and doesn't really accept its D2 label,makes more sense and is doable if done right.

I would like to reiterate that what I've posted is not verbatim what Dave told me as I was getting this info in conversation with him earlier that evening, and was having him show me the outline of the formalization of high performance soccer within Sask at the same time. From looking back at what I wrote, I think I might have mixed a couple details of the High Performance Centers program into the D3 league. I believe players would still have to pay to take part in the High Performance Centers across Sask but the D3 league would pay the players, thus providing a massive incentive for players to train to reach that level of play. Apologies for the misrepresentation of information.

I'll be honest with everyone, and I know this isn't the wise path to take because Canadian soccer is my religion (or so it seems I treat it that way quite often), but I have blind faith as one of my main reasons behind why we need to keep both the D3 league and the D1A league as separate as possible from anything in the US. Creating a partnership with NASL but having everything with the league kept in Canada with Canadian teams vs. Canadian teams only is a necessity. When it comes to the D3 league, I'm not opposed to having teams from the northern US prairie states take part, mainly because the more high-level competition the kids can get at that rung in the development ladder, the better. Adding some teams from the northern US would do this by increasing the number of teams in the competition. To be frank I am concerned the teams from the northern US might not be at the same performance level as those from our provinces, and I say this without bias as I've investigated youth soccer in places like Montana and the Dakotas, it's not the same as it is here.

Ted, I question if how you want things to be, and what realities will actually allow in our current sporting circumstances, can ever align. I agree with a lot of what you say, and wish it could be 100% that way (outside of the USL PRO bs, ugh keep us as FAR away from USL as possible), but I just don't think we have enough angel investors who are die-hard enough Canadian national team fans to prop up D3 like you wish.

By the way I'm disappointed in the rational discussion(s) taking place. This is a gem of a thread, everyone, to just jump the rails into a diatribe of shallow thoughts, accusations of national incompetence, and unaligned arguments. I'm disappointed in all of you.  :P

By the way I'm disappointed in the rational discussion(s) taking place. This is a gem of a thread, everyone, to just jump the rails into a diatribe of shallow thoughts, accusations of national incompetence, and unaligned arguments. I'm disappointed in all of you.  :P

The Caps hate Canada, TFC will never make the playoffs, the CFL is dying and their fans are old, Western Canada skews the statistics, the Caps developed X for our under 7 boys team, the national team should play on artificial turf in football stadiums and love it or they are just prima donnas, all national team games should be played at BMO because that is what the players want, the Caps developed x for our under 11 girls national team, the Argos are dead, the Argos are playing in BMO next year, the CFL has great attendance and ratings, MLS is overtaking the NHL, no team should gift Canadians playing time they have to earn it, if x would play for Canada we would be saved, fuck x because he won't play for Canada, CFL has terrible sponsorship, the Caps are a business, the NASL will die soon, we need a Canadian first division, MLS tv ratings suck, the Caps developed x for our 12 and a half year old boys national team and STOP DRINKING THE KOOK AID (written in Caps because they hate Canada!)

The Caps hate Canada, TFC will never make the playoffs, the CFL is dying and their fans are old, Western Canada skews the statistics, the Caps developed X for our under 7 boys team, the national team should play on artificial turf in football stadiums and love it or they are just prima donnas, all national team games should be played at BMO because that is what the players want, the Caps developed x for our under 11 girls national team, the Argos are dead, the Argos are playing in BMO next year, the CFL has great attendance and ratings, MLS is overtaking the NHL, no team should gift Canadians playing time they have to earn it, if x would play for Canada we would be saved, fuck x because he won't play for Canada, CFL has terrible sponsorship, the Caps are a business, the NASL will die soon, we need a Canadian first division, MLS tv ratings suck, the Caps developed x for our 12 and a half year old boys national team and STOP DRINKING THE KOOK AID (written in Caps because they hate Canada!)

Post of the year.

Ted, I question if how you want things to be, and what realities will actually allow in our current sporting circumstances, can ever align. I agree with a lot of what you say, and wish it could be 100% that way (outside of the USL PRO bs, ugh keep us as FAR away from USL as possible), but I just don't think we have enough angel investors who are die-hard enough Canadian national team fans to prop up D3 like you wish.

I think I may have given you the wrong idea... ;)

In the next five to ten years I think our best option (realistic and with the best ROI) is a pyramid that looks like this:

---- MLS ----

3 teams

---- NASL/CSL PARTNERSHIP ----

6-8 teams

---- USL PRO ----

5-6 teams

---- D4 (L1O, LPSQ, Prairie Super League etc) ----

minimum of 8 per league

If we can create that many stable clubs then eventually we might be able to create an all-Canadian league below MLS by "promoting" the USL Pro Clubs and combining them with the NASL clubs but that would be a something in the neighbourhood of one or more decades away.

In the mean time, by focusing on the D3 and D4 levels we start to build professional soccer culture (as is happening in pockets around the country). I don't think we need to "prop up" D3. That is why we stay with USL Pro whose partnership with MLS provides all the propping up needed.

I understand the aversion to the USL (and even the NASL) and if there was a better option I would jump at it in a heartbeat. However they have the resources and partnerships we can use to our advantage. You will notice in my pyramid above I dump the PDL. I have no doubt that we can do D4 as well as or even better than the USL does so I see no particular advantage to staying with them for that level.

As you say, we do not have a cadre of "angel investors" willing to dump $40-60 million dollars into a nationwide league so we have to work with what we have.

I'll try harder.

• 9 months later...

Had a meeting with Dave Nutt, Tech Director for SSA. He showed me the info he just presented to SSA Membership (all districts ex. S'toon Youth, and entities ex.ASTRA Academy) that outlines how the Canadian D3 regional league is going to take shape. All of this is publicly visible at http://sasksoccer.com/page.php?page_id=58956 (Dave is about to add the graphics outlining how things will work across Prairies). Essentially, there will be programs put in place to create an environment where players who want to train towards becoming a pro athlete will be able to do so with a pathway from their youth club to the regional D3 league and continuing upwards towards pro clubs and the national teams. The D3 league's working title is the Prairie High Performance League, which definitely needs to change cuz that sounds more like a program offered than a competitive league (I prefer Prairie Super League). There will be D3 teams set up in Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta North, Alberta South, Saskatoon, Regina, Saskatchewan North, Saskatchewan South, Winnipeg, Manitoba (excluding Winnipeg), and Thunder Bay. Games would be played like League 1 Ontario does (central location for all games for all teams that particular match day) except rather than 1 location every time there'd be 2 locations (one east and one west) so teams couldn't get butt hurt over having to travel more than others. Also, there is the prospect northern US cities might come on board as USSF isn't doing anything for the Dakotas, Montana, and northern Minnesota. 

This doesn't do justice to how Dave explained it to me last night, but it covers the basics to the point where people on here can now jump to conclusions and freak out about it without knowing all the facts. Fuck why do I even bother?

Thought I would bump this thread (last post Dec 2014) to see if any new information is out there for this concept.

Thought I would bump this thread (last post Dec 2014) to see if any new information is out there for this concept.

Funny timing. Jeff is meeting with some ppl next week so I suspect he will have an update.

The last I had heard, Alberta clubs were quite resistant to a prairie high performance league so they were going to move ahead with just Manitoba and Sask. However I heard this 3rd or 4th hand so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

More in a week or so. I'll give Jeff the heads-up so he can respond. Also, we will likely have something on FTBH.

Well, I can say this about the league. I'd be buying season tix for any team located in the Fraser Valley. UBC is a minimum 1.75hr drive for me to go watch The Whitecaps Reserves....it's not gonna happen unless we go out there for another event as well. UBC, IMO, was the worst possible place for that team to be located - regardless of how far it is from me. It's far from everyone.

• 5 months later...
47 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

Any updates on the Prairie D3 league?

Dave Nutt of the SSA talked fairly extensively on it on FTBH a couple months ago. Don't remember the Ep but it was 'Focus on SK with Dave Nutt'. Basically AB is not quite 'in' but not out either. SK & MN will be holding a few test events and showcases this summer with the hope to establish a league in 2016. I might be off on the details as it was a couple months ago, but I believe the above is a reasonable synopsis. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2016 at 3:54 PM, rob.notenboom said:

Dave Nutt of the SSA talked fairly extensively on it on FTBH a couple months ago. Don't remember the Ep but it was 'Focus on SK with Dave Nutt'. Basically AB is not quite 'in' but not out either. SK & MN will be holding a few test events and showcases this summer with the hope to establish a league in 2016. I might be off on the details as it was a couple months ago, but I believe the above is a reasonable synopsis. 

I guess this was supposed to be 2017 if the trials were this summer?

Archived