Voyageurs Cup 2014

http://www.canadasoccer.com/2014-amway-canadian-championship-schedule-announced-p155637&t=championship_article

2014 Voyageurs Cup schedule

(home team listed first)

2014 Voyageurs Cup schedule

(home team listed first)

23 April 2014 Preliminary round - first leg

Ottawa Fury FC v FC Edmonton

30 April 2014 Preliminary round - second leg

FC Edmonton v Ottawa Fury FC

7 May 2014

Semi Final 1 - first leg

Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton v Montreal Impact

Semi Final 2 - first leg

Toronto FC v Vancouver Whitecaps FC

14 May 2014

Semi Final 1 - second leg

Montreal Impact v Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton

Semi Final 2 - second leg

Vancouver Whitecaps FC v Toronto FC

28 May 2014

Final - first leg*

4 June 2014

Final - second leg

*this game will be played on 27 May if Vancouver Whitecaps FC plays at home.

Once again this year the Amway Canadian Championship will be broadcast on Sportsnet.

Guest ClaytonA

FC Edmonton and Ottawa schedules are unknown as NASL hasn't announced their 2014 apertura schedule yet. FC Edmonton will probably play at Commonwealth and block off the terrace on the south side to meet Concacaf/CSA standards regarding field lines, lights, press facilities, stands. Ottawa Fury have yet to clarify whether they have permission to play at Keith Harris Stadium (Carleton) given the multiple field markings and presumably lower standard of press facilities. [Edit on twitter they've said Carleton.] Hopefully the play-in round is great for selling the game in Canada.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Vancouver assuming MLS over NASL;

Home May 3 vs San Jose

Away May 7 vs TFC Voyageurs Cup

Away May 10 vs Columbus

Home May 14 vs TFC Voyageurs Cup

Home May 24 vs Seattle

(Home May 27 vs ____ Voyageurs Cup)

Away June 1 vs Portland

(Away June 4 vs _____ Voyageurs Cup)

Away June 7 vs Philidelphia

Vancouver has a pretty good schedule in the first round including a 10 day break after the 2nd leg; I'd expect to see squad rotation around the Columbus and TFC games since Columbus is not in the West Conference and there's a break. Should they qualify for the final there's big games against Seattle and Portland and the schedule is really tough for them. The 3 week World Cup break starts for the Whitecaps after the Philidelphia game on June 7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For TFC assuming MLS over NASL;

Home May 3 vs New England

Home May 7 vs Vancouver Voyageurs Cup

Away May 14 vs Vancouver Voyageurs Cup

Home May 17 vs New York

Away May 23 vs Kansas City

(Home May 28 vs ____ Voyageurs Cup)

Home May 31 vs Columbus

(Away June 4 vs _____ Voyageurs Cup)

Home June 7 vs San Jose

The first round sets up really well for TFC, I'd expect them to be using their first team on May 7 especially given they have a 2 week break before the New England game and a bye weekend for May 10. Should they make the final there is congestion and squad rotation. I'd de-emphasize the San Jose game and focus on the June 4 Voyageurs Cup game since San Jose is not in the East.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Montreal;

Home April 26 vs Philidelphia

Away May 7 vs Ottawa/FC Edmonton

Home May 10 vs Kansas City

Home May 14 vs Ottawa/FC Edmonton

Away May 17 vs DC United

Away May 24 vs Colorado

(Away May 27/May 28 vs ____ Voyageurs Cup)

Home May 31 vs New England

(Home June 4 vs _____ Voyageurs Cup)

Home June 11 vs DC United

First round will allow squad rotation although if it's close or they're behind after the first leg they'll be in tougher with conference MLS games around the second leg. There is a 1 week break before the first leg though, so they'll be rested going into May. I'd de-emphasize the Colorado game with squad rotation and focus on the final. Montreal did themselves a favour playing DC United on June 11 before the World Cup break.

Montreal earned the NASL qualifier and their schedule around the final is the best allowing more flexibility; this year sets up best for them and based on form last season I'd put them as the early favourites. Vancouver will have a new head coach and presumably many new players given all those released. I'm in show me mode with TFC and who really knows with them? The NASL teams will be up for their games against MLS competition and the games against Vancouver had their moments where FC Edmonton fans could begin to dream the past two years; overall the quality is still a step down from MLS though they may be playing more Canadian players who seem to have an extra gear in this competition too. Looking forward to playing the games.

The Fury football fans will have a excellent chance to show their stuff with a V cup home games versus Edmonton then Montreal pretty much assured.

The Eddies... despite the Rally Rabbit will have tough time playing in Ottawa if the stands at Carleton are packed, with close proximity to the playing field, plus the enivitable flares etc.. should be fun.

The Fury football fans will have a excellent chance to show their stuff with a V cup home games versus Edmonton then Montreal pretty much assured.

The Eddies... despite the Rally Rabbit will have tough time playing in Ottawa if the stands at Carleton are packed, with close proximity to the playing field, plus the enivitable flares etc.. should be fun.

And the trilling (NASL style) begins. Pretty confident for a team that hasn't played one game yet to think Montreal is pretty much assured. I don't think you will have any mixed loyalties to worry about when the Eddies go on to face the Impact. Are you into the egg nog flavoured Christmas Furry Kook Aid a bit early this year? See you in April!!!

Pretty cocky about a team with all of 3 players...

If Ottawa or Edmonton make the Final, will they still be seeded 4/5 next time around? I find it mildly unfair that no matter what, the three MLS teams get top three. I understand it, that MLS is the first division, but the day may come when a division two team defeats an MLS club, and I'd like to see them rewarded with skipping the play-in the following year.

If Ottawa or Edmonton make the Final, will they still be seeded 4/5 next time around? I find it mildly unfair that no matter what, the three MLS teams get top three. I understand it, that MLS is the first division, but the day may come when a division two team defeats an MLS club, and I'd like to see them rewarded with skipping the play-in the following year.

The day has already come, though not in the knockout format. I agree, it's a little silly. This isn't like England or Germany where you know the best teams will be promoted eventually.

Pretty cocky about a team with all of 3 players...

So is saying visiting team playing to packed away crowd in small stadium ...is going to tough ... is cocky ... well okay then I am cocky about how that game will go, now if I had said Fury will have clean sheet after the game and win by two or more that is cocky but I did not say that ...just your rabbits are going to have a tough time in the stadium if its full with fans who are motivated to be the 12th man.. I know I know you dont get to do that so much in Edmonton ...but it will come.

Well okay I admit the home game versus Montreal might be task... but you have to set standards early for success of a franchise ...dont you think ?

PS if you come to the game beer is on me.

Huh?

There's this above the stands and then an entire massive athletic complex with incredible facilities.

bleachers.jpg

Vic, that pic is a bit deceiving. Only the middle box is used by the press. The two outside boxes are privately owned from what I understand by the Ravens football boosters/alumni.

While commentating for SSN at this fall's Carleton Ravens soccer games we only had that middle section. It was quite cramped with myself, the camera guy, the stadium announcer, the scoreboard operator, the DJ and the Ravens twitter and print people. However, the view from there is excellent.

Cheers

gws

• 4 weeks later...

The Ottawa-Edmonton tie is probably the one I'm looking forward to the most, but the Vancouver-TFC tie is also juicy as the Caps could be a basket case while TFC hits the ground running. I somehow doubt it will be that skewed but you never know.

FC Edmonton and Ottawa schedules are unknown as NASL hasn't announced their 2014 apertura schedule yet. FC Edmonton will probably play at Commonwealth and block off the terrace on the south side to meet Concacaf/CSA standards regarding field lines, lights, press facilities, stands. Ottawa Fury have yet to clarify whether they have permission to play at Keith Harris Stadium (Carleton) given the multiple field markings and presumably lower standard of press facilities. [Edit on twitter they've said Carleton.] Hopefully the play-in round is great for selling the game in Canada.

If the CFL was able to have TSN cover the Ti-Cats season in Guelph this year, and Rogers now covering CIS Football, I can't see there being that big an issue with the CSA having a problem with it for potentially three games.

• 1 month later...

I would be highly surprised if part of Sportsnet's deal with the CSA doesn't include providing at minimum online live streams of all Vs Cup matches. Unless they have some kind of bunk territorial viewing restrictions in place (just use a proxy then) I think you have nothing to worry about. Just follow John Molinaro and Gerry Dobson on Twitter, they will let you know.

Ottawa's roster is coming together and to be frank, it looks actually quite good. I have a feeling the first tie in Ottawa is going to be a great one. Any Eddies supporters able to make their way out there?

Archived