Jermain Defoe to TFC

Bully

Is it because some players' "budget" will charge one thing although their "budget" is so high that they are called designated player?

Designated players are only one way of adding expenditure beyond the salary budget: Generation adidas status, home grown status, and (most importantly) allocation all have the effect of adding to expenditure on the player roster. This year alone we learned of two new mechanisms the league has introduced that have the same effect: the retention fund and "league" DPs.

The biggest problem is that people treat the contractually negotiated salary budget amount in the CBA as if it's a ceiling when in fact, because the league pays for the players, it has the practical effect of acting much more like a salary floor.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean anything concrete, but this morning Skysports have reported Defoe to TFC as being a done deal. They have said he will be loaned back to Spurs until the start of MLS pre-season and (this is where it loses credibility for me) that Drake has played a key role in convincing Defoe to finalize the deal to join TFC.

• 2 weeks later...

Theoretically the salary structure of MLS could make a floor, but we've seen teams like Chivas and NER well under the cap in the past, as well as speculation that the league was returning that money to ownership.

Disclosure is non-existent and the league is often less than honest about it's dealings. Take the "league DP" for example. Neil Davidson said it existed, others said it was the mechanism that the league used to bring in Urruti, Garber publicly denied it, DeVos said on TSN FC he had multiple sources off the record that said it existed.

As far as MLS FO goes, they believe the less you know, the better.

Of course this doesn't necessarily mean anything concrete, but this morning Skysports have reported Defoe to TFC as being a done deal. They have said he will be loaned back to Spurs until the start of MLS pre-season and (this is where it loses credibility for me) that Drake has played a key role in convincing Defoe to finalize the deal to join TFC.

I could so see that, fits perfect. Defoe signs on to hang out at the clubs in Toronto with Drake. That should keep him fit.

I could so see that, fits perfect. Defoe signs on to hang out at the clubs in Toronto with Drake. That should keep him fit.

I just had a weird vision of Drake, Defoe and De Guzman making a mock "We're on a Boat" music video, calling themselves "New Lonely Island"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived