Jermain Defoe to TFC

Bully

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's now being reported in the U.K. as done.

I don't think anyone can Bale out of Spurs quick enough. I saw Defoe live from close range a week and a half ago. He looked rather maudlin. Started just one game this year and has 7 appearances as a sub and no goals. Guess it's a mil per sub.

So D.P. now no longer stands for Designated Player but rather Defoe's Pension.

Maybe a little unfair but a 31 year old winger...?

NOW a 26 year old Defoe with some fire in his belly would have been a good buy. But that's the Problem TFC (and MLS in general) should stop looking at Old staggers in the EPL and look at up an comers in the Championship or other lower European Leagues.

If they did hey they might have dropped on a going nowhere (at the time Liverpool picked him up) Daniel Sturridge from Birmingham City.

Then again that's Probably not in the spirit of the DP rules, which isn't really about buying players to rejuvenate team rosters is it?

If only TFC had gotten to "Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink" sooner. Just the $ value (per letter) on the Shirt name alone would have netted MLSE board an extra bottle of Bolly at the Christmas Party.

So D.P. now no longer stands for Designated Player but rather Defoe's Pension.

Maybe a little unfair but a 31 year old winger...?

NOW a 26 year old Defoe with some fire in his belly would have been a good buy. But that's the Problem TFC (and MLS in general) should stop looking at Old staggers in the EPL and look at up an comers in the Championship or other lower European Leagues.

If they did hey they might have dropped on a going nowhere (at the time Liverpool picked him up) Daniel Sturridge from Birmingham City.

Then again that's Probably not in the spirit of the DP rules, which isn't really about buying players to rejuvenate team rosters is it?

If only TFC had gotten to "Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink" sooner. Just the $ value (per letter) on the Shirt name alone would have netted MLSE board an extra bottle of Bolly at the Christmas Party.

Since when is Defoe a winger?

If this is true, I think that bringing in Defoe is comparable to bringing in someone like Robbie Keane. Obviously there are some differences in their skill sets, but in terms of their age and ability they are pretty similar. If Defoe is as successful as Keane it would be great for TFC.

If this is true, I think that bringing in Defoe is comparable to bringing in someone like Robbie Keane. Obviously there are some differences in their skill sets, but in terms of their age and ability they are pretty similar. If Defoe is as successful as Keane it would be great for TFC.

First off, I rate Keane as higher than Defoe in terms of name recognition, if not skill. Second, take Keane's salary, and multiply it by 2 to get Defoe's salary. Bad precedent by TFC, all to get their name out of the mud. Just great. Now when TFC tries signing other players, they'll have this decision to contend with in negotiating.

If they did hey they might have dropped on a going nowhere (at the time Liverpool picked him up) Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea

Fixed your post

Why would Daniel Sturridge want to play in MLS when he was at Chelsea? He's young and wants to play for England. I doubt that any 22-23 year old player would go because he knows that by going to MLS, he won't play for England. I don't think MLS clubs are ready to pay players a ridiculous amount that would make a younger player say that he'll go to MLS.

What do you do with Laba, then?

You keep Laba in the same role as last year. Pirlo plays a little more of an advanced role. It's definetly possible to play both if one is a playmaker and the other is more of a stay at home bulldog.

If by some chance they were to sign Pirlo, then you adjust your tactics to fit him into the team.

First off, I rate Keane as higher than Defoe in terms of name recognition, if not skill. Second, take Keane's salary, and multiply it by 2 to get Defoe's salary. Bad precedent by TFC, all to get their name out of the mud. Just great. Now when TFC tries signing other players, they'll have this decision to contend with in negotiating.

While it is fair to suggest that TFC are overpaying for Defoe, I suppose it is a matter of personal opinion which striker you rate higher. Both had similar goal scoring rates during their stints at Tottenham, but remember that Keane was loaned out to Celtic (deemed surplus to requirements?) while Defoe stayed. I think you might be right that Keane has more brand recognition, but I attribute that to him being an Irish international. In that sense he is a big fish in a small pond, and if Keane was an English international I doubt he would have amassed the astronomical amount of caps and goals. At any rate, I think that both are in the same ball park. Comparing Defoe to Keane is not like comparing Defoe to Rooney. Both are of similar class regardless of which one you rate higher. At least that is how I see it.

You are 100% correct as to that, the Irish international is exactly why I'd rate him higher in terms of name recognition...but as you say, skill wise, it's a toss-up. If you read closely, I am rating him higher in terms of name recognition, if not actual skill (meaning I think skill wise, they are similar).

So in that, I certainly agree with you. But then, the key point was that Defoe will be making twice the money.

So in that, I certainly agree with you. But then, the key point was that Defoe will be making twice the money.

It's not like it matters how much money a DP makes. He's a DP. Although I've read that his wages would be disminished, but I doubt that Roy Hodgson wants Defoe to move to MLS.

Well, he started as winger so to me he'll always be a winger.

Fixed your post

Why would Daniel Sturridge want to play in MLS when he was at Chelsea? He's young and wants to play for England. I doubt that any 22-23 year old player would go because he knows that by going to MLS, he won't play for England. I don't think MLS clubs are ready to pay players a ridiculous amount that would make a younger player say that he'll go to MLS.

Thanks I mixed up his place of Birth with the home of the Pole Dancing Blue Cats.

But I think to some extent that situation you note (ergo, convincing young ambitious foreign players to sign up for the MLS) Betrays Don Garber's statements regarding Just how highly rated the MLS actually is. There's even an article on World Soccer News claiming that Jermaine move is an attempt to rejuvenate his England Career.

http://worldcupfootballnews.com/tottenhams-jermain-defoe-linked-with-move-to-mls-side-toronto-to-boost-england-world-cup-squad-ambition/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Look at the general ages of the DP the MLS gets in.

Designated Players? or Dollar (based) Pension Fund.

It's not like it matters how much money a DP makes. He's a DP. Although I've read that his wages would be disminished, but I doubt that Roy Hodgson wants Defoe to move to MLS.

You're an intelligent poster, and know full well how short sighted a comment like that is. Moves like this can hamstring negotiations for future players of a similar calibre, as well as effect the budget for other DPs. It also effects the bottom line.

If I'm being completely reasonable, do I think this helps TFC win more games? Yes, I do. I just think the move is highly exorbitant. Other MLS teams probably look in TFC's direction and say, "Oh great, it begins". I'm not liking the standard this could set around the league.

You're an intelligent poster, and know full well how short sighted a comment like that is. Moves like this can hamstring negotiations for future players of a similar calibre, as well as effect the budget for other DPs. It also effects the bottom line.

If I'm being completely reasonable, do I think this helps TFC win more games? Yes, I do. I just think the move is highly exorbitant. Other MLS teams probably look in TFC's direction and say, "Oh great, it begins". I'm not liking the standard this could set around the league.

The thing is, TFC is no longer an expansion club. They have been in the league for 7 seasons and have very little to show for it.

A good portion of the fan base has already flown the coop, and now they have to do something before they lose the Golden Goose forever. Things were so promising in 2007, but for the 2014 season, if a player that can help the team (without too seriously hindering their chances improving their roster around said player) says "Show me the money", TFC doesn't really have much of a choice.

I just think the move is highly exorbitant. Other MLS teams probably look in TFC's direction and say, "Oh great, it begins". I'm not liking the standard this could set around the league.

Good. You want to be better you pay more. We've got a cap and a free market thing thing going on at the same time. GM's should use it the best way they know how.

Isn't that an MLS problem in general though?

Yeah, lets be honest, the reported figures around Defoe are, well, ridiculous! However, this is not limited to just TFC. The sounders arguably overvalued Clint Dempsey after all. Before that, you could certainly cite Marquez as another example, and even Frings was arguably over valued as well.

So I certainly think the trend started before this, but no doubt TFC are pushing things into high gear! I can see Kaka or Lampard coming into the league next year for 10 million a season. At the end of the day though, it is DP money, and if owners want to waste it then so be it.

I just wish the salary cap was in the 8 to 10 million dollar range. It is kind of silly when 4.5 million a year Robbie Keane is playing alongside 35 thousand a year Kofi Opare.

It's a player that a club was ready to overpay. I doubt that it has an effect on other players that want to play in the league. Even if salaries are known to the public face, it will only affect the people who will want money from TFC. The thing is that Defoe wants to get the same amount of money that he would get if he stayed at Spurs, where he has a contract. If you want a player to come to your club, you have to offer him a good enough salary for him.

Defoe's transfer is a bit like Dempsey, except that Dempsey is a local player. It says more that some clubs in the league are ready to spend big money at players under contract in Europe.

That's the problem with the DP rule, and if a club like TFC wants to go gangbusters on signing their 3 DP's, they'll do it. TFC in terms of spending are a top 4 MLS club. It will be a problem deep down the road, but that's to MLS to resolve a problem like that.

Archived