Gold Cup 2013 - Other team results (R)

nolbertos

I love that Panama plays a 4-4-2

Why could we not just go for that this tournament? Or at least against Martinique to start? It's the classic default footy formation, would seem ideal for an interim manager to use it...

Keegs for coach!! I've wondered the same thing myself over the years. We have trouble scoring, everyone knows the roles in the 4-4-2 formation because it is the first one you are taught (well maybe 4-3-3 these days) and we wouldn't be stranding a lone forward to deal with 3 defenders. I mean aside from OO who do we have who can really play the loan forward role?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Panama win today I wonder if that will increase the odds that we get to play a qualifying round before the next Gold Cup. CONCACAF would at that point be forced to give Panama free entry to the tournament, yet I bet Panama would still want to play in the Copa Centroamericano.

I think the number one reason I want Panama to win today is to f*ck with CONCACAF and their future Gold Cup plans.

If Panama wins, since we tied them and came the closest to beating them, does that mean Canada gets 2nd place by default?

No I think it means we actually tie for first since the draw proves we are equally as good as Panama.

You guys don't get it! Canada is in it because we don't have a North American cup to play for Gold Cup unlike other regions. We can't go to Caribbean or Central America region to play in their tournaments. We're not members of their organization! (I highly doubt they want us to join their organization)

Unless there's North American tournament to qualify for Gold Cup, we are not going to play qualifying games.

BTW: USA and Mexico should qualify for Gold Cup as well. It's not fair for Canada to qualify if other two North American nations don't have to qualify.

You guys don't get it! Canada is in it because we don't have a North American cup to play for Gold Cup unlike other regions. We can't go to Caribbean or Central America region to play in their tournaments. We're not members of their organization! (I highly doubt they want us to join their organization)

Unless there's North American tournament to qualify for Gold Cup, we are not going to play qualifying games.

BTW: USA and Mexico should qualify for Gold Cup as well. It's not fair for Canada to qualify if other two North American nations don't have to qualify.

This is most likely the rationale behind the rule, but the office reason why Canada doesn't have to qualify alongside Mexico and the United States is because they are past winners of the Gold Cup.

Only the host country should automatically qualify.

Just to think only couple of years ago, Panama and Canada were more or less same in quality, but Panama is in Gold Cup final and Canada is... ugh

Things change quickly. By the end of the year we may be of higher quality, you just never know. I don't find them particularly scary as the USA are showing right now and our depleted gong show of a squad drew them. I think talent wise we can field a full XI that could compete with them man for man no doubt, just like we did only last September.

Listening to these American commentators is making my ears bleed. USA is dominating this game so far.

Yes, they were horrible. Talking about Panama diving, and the very next play, Brek Shea goes down with almost no contact and they talk about USA forcing fouls out of Panama. Idiots.

We fully get it. We are just poking at the fact that CONCACAF says Canada qualifies through being a past champion, and the second a different team wins it, they will scramble to justify it for a different reason, thus proving them full of sh#@.

Also, I'd like to watch it again, but was Shea not offside on that goal? I'm not sure if he was ahead of the passer or not, but he was DEFINITELY ahead of the defenders.

Man, the USA dominated the final. I can hope someday, Canada can play as good as them, even if it was a "B" team. As long as Mexico, didn't win it. I'm happy. Panama is getting better each year. Soon Canada will find it hard to even make it to the CONCACAF WCQ Semi-final, let alone the Hex.

Man, the USA dominated the final. I can hope someday, Canada can play as good as them, even if it was a "B" team. As long as Mexico, didn't win it. I'm happy. Panama is getting better each year. Soon Canada will find it hard to even make it to the CONCACAF WCQ Semi-final, let alone the Hex.

Panama outside of few starters bought in their "a" team in this tournament. It would be interesting to see if Panama can keep up their play after WC 2014. Their key players will probably retire or be end of their careers. I am not sure how good their youth players are, but I wouldn't be surprise to see Panama going on a decline after 2014.

Canada is definitely on the rise given we got a lot of good young players coming through the ranks. We might not make it to World Cup 2018, but we will challenge the best in the region. World Cup 2022 seems more realistic for Canada to make it.

Also, I'd like to watch it again, but was Shea not offside on that goal? I'm not sure if he was ahead of the passer or not, but he was DEFINITELY ahead of the defenders.

Nah that's what I thought initially as well, but watching the replay he was definitely behind Donovan/the ball.

I believe Panama started 8 from their 11 A team squad from the WCQ. Which is even more impressive the USA B team was able to dominate them at 75-80+ possession through the entire game and allowing ZERO shots on goal. I hope Floro can change the culture and bring something new. He knows what real football/soccer looks like (going by where he's been working all these years). I'm cautiously optimistic about our youth, this will be the begining of a new project.

In the two games against Mexico and in the first half of today's game Panama showed exactly how all of CONCACAF should approach games vs. Mexico and the US. They soaked up pressure and were content to allow both the Mexicans and Americans time on the ball. Rather than focusing on any high tempo pressure they just ensured that there was no space for creative players like Fabien and Donovan to operate between the midfield and back four. You shut down this part of the pitch and suddenly Mexico and USA were both forced to play through balls or spread the ball wide and bring their fullbacks forward opening up opportunities for a counter attack.

The main problem for Canada is we don't have the midfielders to play like this. Godoy and Sanchez have been extremely disciplined throughout the tournament and are real dominating players in the centre of the park. If Canada were to try and employ this strategy we'd have to probably use three deep lying midfielders instead of two which cuts down on the strikers we can use up the park (having both Torres and Perez up top meant that when Panama did spring a counter they already had men forward), in Canada's situation we'd be stuck with a lone - most likely very slow - forward.

Anyways just some food for thought that I think Canada could learn a lot by looking at how Panama matched up against the big guns of CONCACAF in this tournament.

Ewwww, aim a little higher.

That's the practical reason, but CONCACAF have dressed it up as the "defending champions" getting in free. That's actually supported by the fact that we had to qualify for 2000, I remember a 4-team group with El Salvador and others. If we were to do it again it could be a group between us, the 5th place Caribbean team, and the 5th and 6th place Central American teams with two advancing to the tournament.

Archived