Gold Cup 2013 - Other team results (R)

nolbertos

Didn't see a thread regarding other Gold Cup results. Good to at least watch other games. So far impressed by the Panama vs Mexico match. Panama playing pretty good early. Its sad to see Panama, a "baseball" country is better than Canada as a footballing nation now.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the first half and wow, I'm scared to think how many goals Panama will score against Canada. Panama already hit the post and missed many chances to pad there lead.

Edit: Lucky Mexicans tied it 1-1 at the end of the first half..entertaining match for sure.

Game over Panama (2) - Mexico (1) Great game and much deserved win by Panama. I don't see Canada beating Mexico's B or C team now. Panama seemed to have brought in more of there A squad compared to Mexico. I predict Panama will top this group with Mexico, second and Martinique 3rd.

Population is the most important factor, that's why the best soccer countries are China, India, and Indonesia.

lol Okay, sarcasmo. ;) It's not the only factor but it is definitely a big factor. China might appear to be weak, but still vastly superior compared to Macau or Mongolia.

lol Okay, sarcasmo. ;) It's not the only factor but it is definitely a big factor. China might appear to be weak, but still vastly superior compared to Macau or Mongolia.

What is Mongolia and Macau's number 1 sport?

What is Martinique's number 1 sport?

Watching Haiti v Honduras and wow is Haiti dominating and bullying the Hondurans... Very, very unlucky to be down 1 nil.

To give you an idea, took Honduras to the 58th minute to get their first corner while Haiti already had 6.

What is Mongolia and Macau's number 1 sport?

Is this a trick question? I assumed their sporting cultures were similar to China, that's why I picked neighboring countries for comparison. But I'm not really sure to be honest.

Maybe Peru v Bolivia would have been the better example since I'm more sure that they have very similar cultures. Throughout history, Peru have almost always been better than Bolivia. Why?

Is this a trick question? I assumed their sporting cultures were similar to China, that's why I picked neighboring countries for comparison. But I'm not really sure to be honest.

Maybe Peru v Bolivia would have been the better example since I'm more sure that they have very similar cultures. Throughout history, Peru have almost always been better than Bolivia. Why?

It doesn't really matter. The answer is not soccer.

It doesn't really matter. The answer is not soccer.

Well, no. It's "population".

BTW, are you guys also getting Gus Johnson as the commentator for most of these Gold Cup matches? Wow, Is he ever terrible! Usually I have a high tolerance for clueless, annoying commentators but this guy is too much for me.

Oh, a team just entered the attacking third of the pitch. Let the shouting resume. *click*

Univision for me the rest of the tournament.

So i'm just watching the Belize USA match and the Americans just made their 3rd sub in the 65th minute. Miller is clearly not coaching this team.

The keeper for Belize is still Shane Orio that some of the old time Voyageurs may remember from the 2004 WCQ games. He is one of only two Belizean players who play professionally outside of Belize as he plays for Honduran team Marathon. He really played well against Canada then and keeper seemed to be the only position where Belize was better than us (we had Onstad who was rather shaky in the games even though he did not give up a goal). One of the funny things I remember about that game is that afterwards when the players came out some of the Belizean players wanted to trade their game shirt for the Canada shirt some of the Voyageurs were wearing and I don't think they found anyone willing to trade. It was damn hard to get a Canada shirt in those days so you did not trade it easily back then. :)

So i'm just watching the Belize USA match and the Americans just made their 3rd sub in the 65th minute. Miller is clearly not coaching this team.

I know it is fashionable on this board to dump on the US team but I'm going to do the opposite and praise them. A 6-1 score against a minnow like Belize is the type of score we should be getting against countries like Martinique. The US is light years ahead of us in terms of talent, player development and they actually have a real pro league. Congratulations to them for this convincing win.

I know it is fashionable on this board to dump on the US team but I'm going to do the opposite and praise them. A 6-1 score against a minnow like Belize is the type of score we should be getting against countries like Martinique. The US is light years ahead of us in terms of talent, player development and they actually have a real pro league. Congratulations to them for this convincing win.

Two things:

1. Martinique and Belize are not at the same level, with Martinique being substantially better.

2. The U.S. and Canada are also not at the same level, clearly. But a 5 goal win over Belize, at home, is not what should be impressing anyone. Even we beat Belize 4-0, the only 2 times we've played them.

Yes, the U.S. has a lot of things going for them soccer wise, but things aren't as shiny as they might seem IMO. They have many aging stars, and some younger players stepping in, but I'm not sure if they have young Dempseys, LDs, Howards, Cherundolos, Bocas, etc. coming. They got a substantial boost from the Germans who joined the program (Jones, Johnson, Boyd, Williams, Chandler, and maybe Brooks) and from the Mexican-American contingent. We, sadly, don't have those same luxuries.

And, although MLS is getting stronger, it still seems like many of the star players are foreign players. I could be wrong here, but the scoring leaders this year, at least, have only a few Americans among them.

Two things:

1. Martinique and Belize are not at the same level, with Martinique being substantially better.

2. The U.S. and Canada are also not at the same level, clearly. But a 5 goal win over Belize, at home, is not what should be impressing anyone. Even we beat Belize 4-0, the only 2 times we've played them.

Yeah 2nd half was fine from the USA, but their first-half was no better than Canada's against Martinique. Recalling an interview of the Belize manager before the match, even he didn't seem to think his team would be able to keep it close for an entire half.

At least the results from yesterday suggest that Canada should reach the quarterfinal if they can grab 3 points and 3rd place (I know, I know), because the 3rd place team in Group "C" will likely end up with a bad goal difference and no more than 3 points.

No, Martinique's 100 times better than Belize. Martinique is far from being a minnow that Canada could beat 6-1. Check their results at the Gold Cup and they don't get humiliated by any country.

Archived