Gold Cup 2013 - Other team results (R)

nolbertos

Amacpher makes a good point.

If Martinique gets shelled by Panama, and assuming we lose a close 1-0 to mexico, a win vs a Panama team with nothing to play for would likely put us through.

assuming we lose a close 1-0 to mexico

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexico might be the more winnable game, you just never know so hopefully we can pull out something here if only for our FIFA ranking. A draw against this Mexico team is probably achievable and that would help us in FIFA ranking points a lot I'd imagine.

Amacpher makes a good point.

If Martinique gets shelled by Panama, and assuming we lose a close 1-0 to mexico, a win vs a Panama team with nothing to play for would likely put us through.

assuming we lose a close 1-0 to mexico

If Martinique loses by a few to Panama and we lose to Mexico, then it sets up a very dangerous position for us since Panama is through with 6 pts and the Mexico-Martinique match becomes a mutually beneficial tie for each team (i.e. they each end up with 4 points, Mexico probably 2nd and Martinique 3rd). They both advance, no matter what we do vs. Panama. I don't want to be cynical, but ...

If Martinique loses by a few to Panama and we lose to Mexico, then it sets up a very dangerous position for us since Panama is through with 6 pts and the Mexico-Martinique match becomes a mutually beneficial tie for each team (i.e. they each end up with 4 points, Mexico probably 2nd and Martinique 3rd). They both advance, no matter what we do vs. Panama. I don't want to be cynical, but ...

Yeah I hear ya. I'll never forget that Italy Mexico World Cup game where they kicked the Ball around for the last 20 minutes to salt away a draw.

I somehow doubt the Mexican players, managers, press, etc will be content playing for a safe draw vs Martinique regardless of the strategy behind such a choice... but who knows, maybe Martinique are the sleeping giants of 2013 Gold Cup and they won't have much of a say in the matter eh?

I somehow doubt the Mexican players, managers, press, etc will be content playing for a safe draw vs Martinique regardless of the strategy behind such a choice... but who knows, maybe Martinique are the sleeping giants of 2013 Gold Cup and they won't have much of a say in the matter eh?

I agree ... I was going to say that the fact that Mexico has been so abysmal lately means that they'll probably go for the win because their coach has one foot out the door. But, if I recall, finishing 2nd means a potentially easy quarterfinal.

I agree ... I was going to say that the fact that Mexico has been so abysmal lately means that they'll probably go for the win because their coach has one foot out the door. But, if I recall, finishing 2nd means a potentially easy quarterfinal.

+1. During WCQ I expected the US and guatemala to go for the mutually beneficial tie and I was dead wrong.

Two things:

1. Martinique and Belize are not at the same level, with Martinique being substantially better.

2. The U.S. and Canada are also not at the same level, clearly. But a 5 goal win over Belize, at home, is not what should be impressing anyone. Even we beat Belize 4-0, the only 2 times we've played them.

Yes, the U.S. has a lot of things going for them soccer wise, but things aren't as shiny as they might seem IMO. They have many aging stars, and some younger players stepping in, but I'm not sure if they have young Dempseys, LDs, Howards, Cherundolos, Bocas, etc. coming. They got a substantial boost from the Germans who joined the program (Jones, Johnson, Boyd, Williams, Chandler, and maybe Brooks) and from the Mexican-American contingent. We, sadly, don't have those same luxuries.

And, although MLS is getting stronger, it still seems like many of the star players are foreign players. I could be wrong here, but the scoring leaders this year, at least, have only a few Americans among them.

They have 3 americans in the top 10 scoring wise. That's about the same for most top leagues only counting domestic players. As for the bolded players, their doing fine without boca who hasn't been good in how long? Same with dolo/LD, they weren't needed in the hex. And last season in the BPL Guzan > Howard and it's probably been like that for a while. They have plenty of talent that can fill the void in the bold with Bradley, Altidore, Guzan, Fabian ect...

regardless of what happens in the rest of this Martinique Panama match, I think Martinique has definitely proven they are no "minnows" that should expect to be thrashed by the almighty FIFA ranked countries... They took it to us, and they've been convincingly been taking it to Panama too!

Yeah 2nd half was fine from the USA, but their first-half was no better than Canada's against Martinique. Recalling an interview of the Belize manager before the match, even he didn't seem to think his team would be able to keep it close for an entire half.

At least the results from yesterday suggest that Canada should reach the quarterfinal if they can grab 3 points and 3rd place (I know, I know), because the 3rd place team in Group "C" will likely end up with a bad goal difference and no more than 3 points.

Lmao. The US was up 3-1 at half time with 80% of the possession. Martinique was the better side both the 1st and 2nd half against Canada.

Lmao. The US was up 3-1 at half time with 80% of the possession. Martinique was the better side both the 1st and 2nd half against Canada.

It was an absolutely dreadful goal that the US conceded. Plus also have to factor-in the strength of Martinique compared to Belize.

US 4 Cuba 1, which means that Cuba, the likely 3rd place team in this group, goes into the final match against Belize with 0 points and a -6 goal differential. Which means that if we can somehow miraculously score 2 goals in a game tomorrow (I say miraculous because we've scored 1 goal all year thus far and none with Colin Miller as interim coach) & not concede any while Mexico beats Martinique 2-0 (which is doable), then we'd go through as one of the two 3rd place teams. Unless Belize pulls off a shocker today against the Ticos. Lots of ifs but the biggest if sadly is the thought of us scoring twice against Panama (even an under-strength, nothing to play for Panama) because we can't seem to score against anybody.

US 4 Cuba 1, which means that Cuba, the likely 3rd place team in this group, goes into the final match against Belize with 0 points and a -6 goal differential. Which means that if we can somehow miraculously score 2 goals in a game tomorrow (I say miraculous because we've scored 1 goal all year thus far and none with Colin Miller as interim coach) & not concede any while Mexico beats Martinique 2-0 (which is doable), then we'd go through as one of the two 3rd place teams. Unless Belize pulls off a shocker today against the Ticos. Lots of ifs but the biggest if sadly is the thought of us scoring twice against Panama (even an under-strength, nothing to play for Panama) because we can't seem to score against anybody.

Becomes even more difficult without Jackson and Tiebert.

Costa Rica only beats Belize 1-0 and on an own-goal to boot. Belize & Cuba are actually tied for 3rd each with 1 goal scored and 7 allowed. Unless one beats another in the last game by 5 goals, chances are the 3rd place team is not going to come from this group if we beat Panama.

1-0 win against Panama combined with a Mexico win over Martinique by 3 goals

OR

We could beat Panama by one goal with us having scored 2 goals or more (2-1, 3-2 etc.) and Mexico beating Martinique 2-0

That would be brutal for Martinique.

But then again, we have to beat Panama...

And Stephen Hart gets T&T to the quarterfinals.

Yes that is true but it was Stephen Hart under the direction of Leo Beenhakker not Stephen Hart alone. And T&T were in the easiest group and did not advance in very convincing fashion, a tie with El Salvador, a loss to Haiti and then advanced by beating Honduras in the last game when Honduras had already advanced in the group and played all their reserve players. Stephen Hart under the direction of Beenhakker might have been a good combination for Canada, alone he was a disaster. Here is Beenhakker instructing Hart during Gold Cup preparation:

warriors-hart-leo-chat.jpg

^ Lmfao you could not have had a better picture to prove your point. Hart is still a better manager than Miller though.

Yeah I am not a fan of Stephan Hart by any means but he is certainly better than Miller. And maybe having the opportunity of working with Beenhakker will make him a good coach. He has had amazing luck in that regard in being given our national team with a very skimpy resume and now having the opportunity to work with a top guy like Beenhakker. Maybe one day he will become a good coach but our national team should never be an apprentice opportunity of unqualified coaches ever again.

Archived