Spencer Richey

A borderline prospect, but with our keeping situation so bleak probably worth a look...apparently the starting keeper for the University of Washington is eligible for Canada based on a grandparent. He reached out yesterday via Twitter asking about options. I made the CSA aware of the Tweets.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/richey_spencer00.html

I don't know a hell of a lot about him, but I would think that he might be useful as a third keeper for one of the Canadian MLS teams, especially if they go with stand alone reserve sides next year.

For what it's worth the kid seemed really excited by the possibility that he might be eligible.

Ranked 20th by TDS for upperclassmen. As 2nd ranked keeper he's only behind UConn's keeper who is a beast.

FWIW that is ahead of Bekker, Welshman and Haber but TDS is pretty weak with their rankings (or biased against Canadians?)

Let's see if he drops this year now that we know his grandparents were Canadian.

That's what I was thinking haha I'm just shocked that they could put Haber at 98 and a guy that went 3rd overall outside the top 40. This kid says he wants to play for Canada U23s but he is a 92 so won't be eligible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

First off, Soccer By Ives is reporting (see tweet above) that University of Washington goalkeeper Spencer Richey, who had been invited to the upcoming MLS combine, will be returning to school for another season.

The indication, then, is that Richey, a Seattle native, will be granted another year of eligibility after being out most of his senior season with a broken leg suffered in the Huskies’ fifth game of 2013.

So evidently he ISN'T at the combine: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersfc/2014/01/02/mls-signs-six-college-stars-ahead-of-draft-spencer-richey-reportedly-will-return-to-uw/

It’s kind of funny because the doctors were asking me what happened and I was telling them. I was talking to one of teammates and he was like, “No, that’s not at all what happened.” So my memory was a little disjointed, for lack of a better word. It was kind of an awkward challenge. A guy got slipped in on a 1v1 and I came out on a close angle. He took a big touch so I came out sliding as he was lunging for the ball. I don’t think it was a dirty challenge, I think it was one of those unfortunate ones where his cleats went right through my mid-shin, on the inside of my right leg. The force just unfortunately fractured my tibia and fibula. Actually, when I got the cast off two weeks later there were some cleat marks and stuff. So that’s my best guess as to what happened.

http://everybodysoccer.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/spencer-richey-interview/

Edited by nolando

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/18/2015 at 0:02 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

Signed to the USL team. He and Carducci will battle it out for time.

Indeed. Started ahead of Carducci in today's CCL game in T&T. He's still low on our depth chart. Don't think the USA will give him a look anymore so no rush to cap him.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

No reason to cap him either based on what he's accomplished to date, given that he's around the same depth level at Crepeau, Roberts, Farago, Irving and de Bellis at a similar age.

Unless Richey explicitly says he wants to play for Canada (outside of the Tweet mentioned below, which doesn't say anything about actually wanting to play internationally for Canada), no reason to care about him at the moment.

6 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

That seems odd, doesn't it?  I only met one of my grandfathers once, but I've always known where he was from.

I know people who's grand parents told everyone they came from country X only for the family to find out later that their grandparents actually came from country Y (the family thought it may have been because the citizens of country Y were held in lower regard).

I know of other people who's grand parents were born in countries that no longer exist.  One person's grand parents said they were Prussian, so I have no idea if they would be considered German, Polish, or Russian.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Great and everything, but there's Canadian born, Canadian citizens, Canadian raised keepers on par with him, and who had a better season then him....hope he doesn't think he's a "shoe-in". 

No, but might as well get the paperwork sorted. It's always flukey which GK prospects get the breaks to " make it", might as well have another lottery ticket 

I don't disagree that we have better prospects in the system right now, specifically both Crepeau and Roberts. But that said, Richey seems to be on the verge of breaking through in MLS, whereas neither of Crepeau or Roberts are being given a chance with their clubs. In a few years Richey may be the much better option.