Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean honestly, if they do that, Duane Rollins will have a field day with it. It's exactly the type of signing Payne said they wouldn't make for DPs. Still seemed capable at the top level of play last year, but face it, it's another short term fix attempt like Frings.

Agreed, it would be a bad attempt at a short term fix.

Now that being said, I do not think Dunfield had any role left with this team. He was a major eyesore out there when he played, no way around it.

Agreed, it would be a bad attempt at a short term fix.

Now that being said, I do not think Dunfield had any role left with this team. He was a major eyesore out there when he played, no way around it.

Who cares if he was an eyesore? On some nights all of MLS can be an eyesore. He got the job done and many will know that I have been one of his biggest detractors for selection to the MNT. But I'd have him over Jeremy Hall no doubt about it.

They need to stop with the DP solutions unless it is a young DP.

One of the big issues with the trade system that the MLS has - where transfer fees count towards the cap - is that it is VERY hard to bring in mid-range players you need unless you have something to trade. TFC rarely has pieces that are of any trade value to other teams, sure a bunch of TFC players have gone on to have decent success but they have never been "ohh I want that player!" (probably because TFC has never won) and therefore been able to use the trade to get a MLS forward or central defender. And if a player is of quality in MLS they usually don't make it to waivers. While "parity" is all fine and good in terms of the economics, it still generates its own inequalities.

It takes patience and skill to make players look good so you can make the trades you want; Payne was supposed to understand this.

It may be good news for Dunfield if he can catch on with another club ahead of pre-season in Europe. The problem in the short term with releasing Dunfield is that it would be a better move to make after the Gold Cup. If TFC loses both Bekker & Osorio for July from being called up and one of Hall or Laba get injured, they will not have much cover for central midfield during that time.

Incidentally, this means that, unless they sign one of the Euro-based Canucks that is in-between contracts or Welshman & Roberts get some unexpected playing time, chances are that we could see TFC go Canuck-less for a whole string of matches while the Gold Cup is on.

Who cares if he was an eyesore? On some nights all of MLS can be an eyesore. He got the job done and many will know that I have been one of his biggest detractors for selection to the MNT. But I'd have him over Jeremy Hall no doubt about it.

Jeremy Hall may be the reason names like Ambrosini and Stankovic keep popping up. No Whitecaps fans seem to like Davidson, yet here we have Jeremy Hall who I'd rate as not being quite as good as Davidson. Hardworking defensive midfielders aren't a bad thing. But they can't be constantly burned like Hall and Davidson do. At least Dunfield stuck in hard. I agree with you on that.

TFC needs improvement in a lot of positions.

From MLS transfers:

Source: Toronto FC officials met with Internacional of Brazil a last week. Presumably over Forlan but that's not confirmed

Forlan is our DP signing for this summer?

From MLS transfers:

Source: Toronto FC officials met with Internacional of Brazil a last week. Presumably over Forlan but that's not confirmed

Forlan is our DP signing for this summer?

That would be a PERFECT signing for TFC imo. I think he'd be a Schelotto type player in terms of effectiveness. Gives us someone to take dead balls and lead the line. Earnshaw did decent for a bit but he's really just a poacher.

Okay this is one of those cases where I don't care if he's 34 or whatever. Diego Forlan flat out became one of my favorite players during the 2010 World Cup, and if he came to TFC I would mark out hardcore. If this is true it would be my favorite signing TFC ever made bar none.

I am hoping that the release of Dunfield means more opportunity for someone like Bekker to get more minutes or Chris Mannella to get a pro contract. Most likely just wishful thinking on my end.

FWIW when he discussed the reasons behind the move and that Dunfield had dropped down the pecking order in central midfield, Nelsen highlighted the play of Laba and Hall, and then clearly notes the names of Silva, Osorio, and even Russell as being the depth, yet he didn't mention Bekker.

Okay this is one of those cases where I don't care if he's 34 or whatever. Diego Forlan flat out became one of my favorite players during the 2010 World Cup, and if he came to TFC I would mark out hardcore. If this is true it would be my favorite signing TFC ever made bar none.

Agree I ****ing love Forlan

Forlán's a tempermental player, his form for the national team has dropped off a lot. I've not seen his internacional performances so I'm not sure how that's gone. Will have a bit of the Beckham affect though... with the ladies.

I know this forum is for new players, but I thought it was worth noting that former TFC midfielder Eric Avila is set to make the move from CHIVAS USA, to their "big brother" in Guadalajara.

Guadalajara is a big side in Mexico. Their not world beaters, but you have to think this is a significant step up from MLS.

Seems like another missed opportunity. TFC didnt bother to resign him, so he entered into the re-entry draft and eventually landed at Chivas. He's only had 13 caps for them, but he's been on the radar the moment he arrived at Chivas Junior.

What do you guys think? Did he fall through the cracks cause of all the uncertainty around management?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/06/16/eric-avila-bids-farewell-chivas-usa-teammates-indicates-guadalajara-move-imm

Its frustrating to be a fan of TFC.

Avila to Chivas (Mex) rumours are an indictment on the previous management team. Watching Plata be a decent player at RSL doesn't help either. Its terrible asset management that has led this team to where it is. And its why its so hard to get out of the league gutter.

How Earl Cochrane still works for TFC is mind boggling. Its one of the reasons that I'm not totally sold on Payne yet.

^ TFC staff probably aren't feeling too stable right now. Looking at what's happening with the raptors, they've been completely ruthless about clearing out the rot. They fired Alvin Williams today, which in TFC terms would be like telling Danny Dichio to take a hike.

Get the feeling that more change is inevitable.

I honestly think Payne and Nelson aren't that safe either. One win over DCU (the worst team in the league) isn't going to change things.

Sometimes I feel like Nelson was a PR move hiring. A guy that presents well and can speak to the media (possibly a reaction from the insane Mariner). But he is starting to look like the wrong hiring at the wrong time. And he is learning on the job, it shows in the in game decisions he makes. TFC needed to hire a manager with experience that can decipher the limitations of its squad and work with it.

And sometimes I feel like this team is still run with PR in mind (like the Koevermans sub a few games back).

Just put together a winning team and the PR will take care of itself.

^Yes I do. Not sure how much Avila is going to play for the parent club though...they appear to be trying to do some major talent reloading and spending after a very disappointing season.

Its true, but a rebuilding "big 4" Mexican side is still a class above MLS. Not trying to exaggarate how good the Mexican league is, but this is a league that has sent clubs to the Final in perhaps the 2nd most important regional club tournament in the world (Copa Liberatadores). They are perhaps in the top 5 leagues outside of Europe.

They must see something in Avila to pull him out of Guadalajara's "Reserve" team. If they think he'd get no playing time, why bother moving him?

Agreed, it's starting to get sticky. I was a big fan of bringing in Payne. Nelsen I was less sure, but with the number of young coaches who have caught on recently I was mildly positive about it.

Looking at it now at the halfway point of the first season, I'm shocked at how little progress they've made. There's really nothing to say about TFC other than they remain a very weak team.

Its true, but a rebuilding "big 4" Mexican side is still a class above MLS. Not trying to exaggarate how good the Mexican league is, but this is a league that has sent clubs to the Final in perhaps the 2nd most important regional club tournament in the world (Copa Liberatadores). They are perhaps in the top 5 leagues outside of Europe.

They must see something in Avila to pull him out of Guadalajara's "Reserve" team. If they think he'd get no playing time, why bother moving him?

That's very true. And I agree it's still a class above MLS. they picked up Aldo de Nigris...hopefully Marco Fabian is healthy...they should be awesome. So why bother with Avila, indeed? They must see something there, you are right...I guess time will tell! It's a very surprising move to me from a team I'm actually following!

I realize things take time, but Payne did have the entire off-season to make moves. He mad very little until Nelson arrived.

But the loan experiment has been a failure.

Signings have been troubling. I had hoped this would be the area where TFC would improve the most. We can't accumulate all the players we need instantly, but our hit-rate has been astronomically low. Continuing to target England as well, what is the point? I know Nelsen has connections there but it's just too expensive to be practical. Time for these guys to get out of their comfort zones and start making more connections elsewhere. That should go for Payne as well, who clearly favors the larger south american countries over the smaller ones where other teams have found a ton of talent.

Archived