Montreal MLS roster discussion

I'm sorry, but Evan Bush is not ready to be an MLS starter. He will be a very good backup.

I'm not saying you're wrong...

For the same reason I can't agree with that statement... I just don't think there's any way to quantify that. It seems as likely to me that he can be successful in the MLS as not. He didn't make mistakes in NASL. Will he in MLS? Only way to know is to put him there and watch.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get me wrong, I really like Evan Bush. He did a great job. But stopping NASL guys from scoring and Landon Donovan, De Rosario, etc... is not the same thing.

I know... like I said, there no way to know right now if he can or not. It's not unusual for young players who are dominant at one level to be tried at the next. I would be totally comfortable with a Bush/Gaudette tandem to start off with, both being dominant at the 2nd tier.

There is a report from Sweden that Montreal might be interested in talking to Malmo MF Jeffrey Aubynn. He wouldn't cost a lot, but I am not sure what he adds at 34. MLS is a much faster and more physical league than the Swedish League and he is a player than relies on his speed on the wing.

I would be totally comfortable with a Bush/Gaudette tandem to start off with, both being dominant at the 2nd tier.

I wouldn't. If the LA Galaxy leave Jamaican national team keeper Donovan Ricketts or Josh Saunders unprotected, I think you have to take one of them.

I know... like I said, there no way to know right now if he can or not. It's not unusual for young players who are dominant at one level to be tried at the next. I would be totally comfortable with a Bush/Gaudette tandem to start off with, both being dominant at the 2nd tier.

Bush will be a good backup in MLS who will play a few games. It is clear for me that the Impact will try to get an experienced MLS keeper at the expansion draft. There is no way I would feel comfortable with a Gaudette/Bush tandem. Gaudette has only played 17 games in MLS. If he hadn't been injured, he probably would be the one signed to an MLS contract. There will be quite a few experienced keepers at the draft: Zach Thornton, Jon Conway, Saunders or Ricketts, Joe cannon. For the third keeper, I think the Impact will do what the other teams do which is promote one of their young Academy keepers (Crepeau ?)who will fill in when there are injuries and play in reserve league games.

DiLorenzo has told the team he won't come to training camp without a contract.

Kind of weird, he has a good chance given his experience and domestic status, as a bench player, and he's coming off a terrible year.. not sure what his problem is

DiLorenzo has told the team he won't come to training camp without a contract.

Kind of weird, he has a good chance given his experience and domestic status, as a bench player, and he's coming off a terrible year.. not sure what his problem is

Then he should not be coming to camp. Nothing in his play last year indicated he was a MLS player, he was not even a good NASL player. You can't sign players based on their form of 2 or 3 years ago.

Goes without saying that it is financially driven, but if his chances of making the team are slim then he probably has to get off and start doing something else or find another team that will take him. Not like these guys were making high 6 figures...,.let alone millions.

Goes without saying that it is financially driven, but if his chances of making the team are slim then he probably has to get off and start doing something else or find another team that will take him. Not like these guys were making high 6 figures...,.let alone millions.

I would be surprised if he has an offer from another team. He did not have a good year last year but will still probably want a pretty high salary by NASL standards in line with his Montreal salary. And at his age if he did not get a good salary offer it really would not be worthwhile moving. If I were to speculate, I think the only way his position makes sense is if he got a pretty good offer to be a top coach at one of the large amateur soccer clubs in Montreal or nearby like some other former Impact players. Some of these positions pay pretty well and if he has an offer it probably would not be worth turning down to go to a camp in which he may not make the team.

My impression of Di Lorenzo last year was that his body was giving out on him. He is still only 30 but he seems much older than that on the field. He is the complete opposite to Sebrango. That is why I am not to keen to see us re-sign him. It is possible if he was just being played as a sub he might do ok because he certainly had the skill level to play in MLS but I think that is a big risk to take. Once a player's body starts to give out there is usually a fairly quick detertioration. He has always been one of our better paid players so I doubt we could sign him cheap enough to make it worth taking a chance on a player who could be injured for most of the season and even if fit may not have the body to play anymore at MLS level. And quite honestly, the way he played last year I am not sure if I would re-sign him even if we were staying in NASL.

My impression of Di Lorenzo last year was that his body was giving out on him. He is still only 30 but he seems much older than that on the field. He is the complete opposite to Sebrango. That is why I am not to keen to see us re-sign him. It is possible if he was just being played as a sub he might do ok because he certainly had the skill level to play in MLS but I think that is a big risk to take. Once a player's body starts to give out there is usually a fairly quick detertioration.

Yes, I have actually often thought he same, he's slight to begin with plus he carries himself with the hunched, slouching, hips-forward posture that famously leads to lumbar fatigue by the thirties in many men, with all the secondary problems that can radiate out from that over time such as tight hamstrings, sciatic pain, and bulging or even herniated discs. Even when he was playing well I often winced watching him thinking that he looked like a player who would unfortunately have a shortened career because of his body shape... Can you tell I have personal experience with these issues :)

It's really unfortunate all around because a creative attacking player with his technical ability is rare to find with domestic Canadian status.

@Girzzly - I wasn't suggesting he had any offers. I was saying he'd need to seek this out. I expect him to catch on with another NASL team next year (ala the guys who went to Tampa). I'd be surprised as well if he had a current offer.

-watch for him in the Can Prem Futsal League! (speculation!)

Swedish Striker/Mid Jeffrey Aubynn - said to be interested in MLS and according MLSrumours.net either Montreal/Sporting KC. I ran a little "scouting" report through a couple of sites and to be honest I hope we don't sign him. 34 years old /injury plagued/ never really lived up to his expectation (next larson) SO my vote is no on this one.

Recent and future scouting trips should come up with better players than Di Lorenzo. In MLS, depth is becoming much more important and you can't waste roster spots on players you don't know can hack it over a longer season.

Swedish Striker/Mid Jeffrey Aubynn - said to be interested in MLS and according MLSrumours.net either Montreal/Sporting KC. I ran a little "scouting" report through a couple of sites and to be honest I hope we don't sign him. 34 years old /injury plagued/ never really lived up to his expectation (next larson) SO my vote is no on this one.

That report came from Sweden as I posted. MLSrumors just re-posts stuff and are notoriously inaccurate. If you are going to bring in an older player into a fast and physical, but not necessarily the most skilled league, let it be someone with vision and pedigree like Torsten Frings. Not Jeffrey Aubynn

If you are going to bring in an older player into a fast and physical, but not necessarily the most skilled league, let it be someone with vision and pedigree like Torsten Frings. Not Jeffrey Aubynn
Agreed Opie. Im interested to see what we get from Expansion/Super Draft as well as South America/Euro trips.

I loved Ubi in the second half of last season. I remember people posting stuff from NYRB forums when he was first signed by Montreal, decrying his penchant for bad passes and giveaways, and maybe he doesn't do as well faced with the quicker, smarter defenders of the MLS... but judging by some of the shockingly bad "offensive" players that one sees from time to time watching the odd MLS game, he has to still be a good sub/understudy at least I would think

I loved Ubi in the second half of last season. I remember people posting stuff from NYRB forums when he was first signed by Montreal, decrying his penchant for bad passes and giveaways, and maybe he doesn't do as well faced with the quicker, smarter defenders of the MLS... but judging by some of the shockingly bad "offensive" players that one sees from time to time watching the odd MLS game, he has to still be a good sub/understudy at least I would think

Still he was a player that got beat and gave the ball away at the MLS level and now you are hoping that he improved at age 28 after a year playing well in D2. Perhaps he simply was playing at the level he always should of been? That is the fear. Just like with old friend Ali G who is always good at a lower level.

At least he deserves a shot. It's not like you couldn't replace him later if he can't hack it.

I don't see much odd about it. Except I guess he's going to take an International Spot....??

Forgive me for not reading this thread in great detail. Are most expecting Agourram to make the step-up???

I would guess no. As Ubiparipovic probably has a green card or better. So he would count as an American.

About Reda, I don't think he's good enough for MLS and if he makes the team, it wiill be because they are low on the Canadian quota and they need to put him there.

I don't see much odd about it. Except I guess he's going to take an International Spot....??

Forgive me for not reading this thread in great detail. Are most expecting Agourram to make the step-up???

Ubi is an American resident.

I'm sure Agourram will be given a chance to show up to camp due to his relative youth, but Ilcu has already surpassed his promise in terms of a young local product. I think most people are pulling for Reda to step up his performance but he's not 19 anymore and has not taken any of his many chances to show more quality.

Archived