6/30/2011: Canada v. France

Vic

Quality of balls by the French is very impressive. Beautiful through ball there saved by McLeod.

Something has to be done about our ball control (first sec and third touches) in this country. At least three scoring chances snuffed out due to poor touches. Women in canada are no different than the men in this regard.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like more of the same in the second half. I don't think we are going to turn things around naturally. We need an unexpected goal or inspirational subs.

And now France have just scored again after Zurrer gives up the ball just outside the box and Thiney curls one in off the post. Unfortunately I think it's over. :( 30 minutes to go.

And here come the subs: Tancredi for Julien and Scott for Kyle.

Thought we looked pretty good until France scored. After that we were terrible. Goal was not offside.

Let's give credit where credit is due. Ive seen more high quality individual plays by the French than from the canadians.

We are always improving in this sport but we can't seem to keep up with the pace of improvements elsewhere in the world. With the women, it's struggle to keep pace with the likes of France and with the men it's a struggle to keep up with the improvements from the central American countries.

To be honest, I think that the same is happening to the Americans. They are no way as dominant.

To add, watching this game is further proof that our number one problem in this country is things that that are honed about the game at very young age in your back yard. Its not the coaches, not the national association, not the provincial associations, not the politics.

Tripping over the ball or poor touches, poorly weighted balls has everything to do with the player.

Let's be honest, any North American dominance of women's soccer was largely due to the rest of the world not really caring. Once they started putting the weight of their coaching and academies behind women's soccer, it was only a matter of time.

Let's be honest, any North American dominance of women's soccer was largely due to the rest of the world not really caring. Once they started putting the weight of their coaching and academies behind women's soccer, it was only a matter of time.

Very true. Their players have the basic foundations in place but were missing the organization and structure. Now that it's falling into place, look what's happening.

We are always improving in this sport but we can't seem to keep up with the pace of improvements elsewhere in the world. With the women, it's struggle to keep pace with the likes of France
While other countries were developing, we wasted a lot of time under Pellerud, because it wasn't just him as coach of one team but the problems with his outdated '90s system applied throughout the youth levels that are still evident. At first it looked like perhaps just a couple of years under Morace would turn things around, but the players spent so many years under the old system (many of them knowing nothing else) that it's going to take a bit longer. Despite talk about actually contending for the WC this year, I always thought 2015, especially at home, made more sense. (It's hilarious that Pellerud is now trying to push his system on the USA!)

The ball smacking off Sinclair's mask was like rubbing salt in the wound -- literally for her and figuratively for the team. (To make things worse, the commentator called her "Christine Stewart" at least three times!)

Shek Borkowski's tweet stream:

15 minutes into the second half: It really seems that Morace failed to correct tactically at halftime. Fundamental tactical error, uncorrected at halftime, could cost CAN. Bini with good adjustments really exploiting CAN.

25 minutes into the second half: it's street soccer by CAN now.

Exactly! Now we're seeing "soccer nation" taking their women programs seriously and we are seeing these results now. France looks much better than Canada....their touch, passing etc. looks really good unlike Canada.

It will take time for Canada to develop "skilled" players who can beat players one-on-one (Canada doesn't seem to have that kind of player).

It will take time for Canada to develop "skilled" players who can beat players one-on-one (Canada doesn't seem to have that kind of player).

The French players weren't taking us on. They were simply not giving the ball away.

outclassed and out coached. we had no answer to anything the french were doing. At this point, questions should be asked....if this was any nation's Mens team, a coach would find themselves on the ropes considering the pre-tournament expectations

Shek Borkowski's tweet stream:

15 minutes into the second half: It really seems that Morace failed to correct tactically at halftime. Fundamental tactical error, uncorrected at halftime, could cost CAN. Bini with good adjustments really exploiting CAN.

25 minutes into the second half: it's street soccer by CAN now.

But what adjustments was she supposed to make? No offense bit I hate it when make those kind of hollow statements with out elaboration. Change in formation? Then why? New players? When the whistles blows to

start the game of soccer it's usually up to the

players. From that point onward, you make make subs scream instruction, move players Around etc. Soccer is not like chess, a good tactician CAN make a difference but not enough to turn a 4-0 defeat into a win.

Jose Mourinho only bothers coaching top sides that are already good, why do you think he doesn't bother with relegation bound sides. HE know he is good, but no way can Mourinho can take crappy team to a

championship. (. Note this intended as general comment about the game . I am not saying we have a crappy team)

The French players weren't taking us on. They were simply not giving the ball away.

They won just about every ball to be won though, especially in midfield. That's the second game in a row where we seem physically out-matched and over-powered all over the pitch. I expected that from the German team, half of whom could send a shiver of fear at any men's team with their physical play. I wasn't expecting it from the French Femme Fatale's out there. We were over-powered more than we were out-skilled, IMO.

Difficult to complain about the scoreline, it didn't even flatter France, we looked like the third best team out there. I feel sorry the ladies as they must be crushed by this result, but they were not anywhere close to being the better team on the day. Sadly we were thoroughly outplayed

Wow. So much for Sinclair coming in to save the day. I wish she hadn't played. Maybe the rest of the team would have stepped up their game in the captain's absence.

I agree that this had to be the worst month ever for Canadian soccer fans.

They won just about every ball to be won though, especially in midfield. That's the second game in a row where we seem physically out-matched and over-powered all over the pitch. I expected that from the German team, half of whom could send a shiver of fear at any men's team with their physical play. I wasn't expecting it from the French Femme Fatale's out there. We were over-powered more than we were out-skilled, IMO.

Difficult to complain about the scoreline, it didn't even flatter France, we looked like the third best team out there. I feel sorry the ladies as they must be crushed by this result, but they were not anywhere close to being the better team on the day. Sadly we were thoroughly outplayed

I don't think it was about winning the ball (Sophie Schmidt pretty much took anything she wanted), I think it was about creating attacking chances.

In the end there was a noticeable difference between the skill sets of the two teams. The French players seemed to do well popping up the backline and then facilitating interplay with oncoming players. Canada once they found a forward was simply 1-2 1-2 and looked a little less potent.

For France Nacib also filled a role as the #10. Nobody on Canada even came close to filling that same need for our team.

Congratulations France ! I think we have to start to consider that team as a serious contender for the title. That french coach what a special guy. He is a philosopher and a poet. No doubt in my mind the best group of women won today. I'm eager to see how far they will go. I knew nothing about them but after reading the article talking about the french team Vic had talk about, I felt this team was really dangerous, and I believe it more than ever :

"I did'nt select the 21 best players in France. I have chosen the 21 who will make the best group to go further in the competition. I made up my list with a concern for complimentarity. For 15 players choice was evident. It's on the last 5 you must be cautious not to go foul.

I don't know about France players abilities but reading this interview I know Canada must be cautious because you never know what a good group of players can achieve. That interview made me think about miracle on ice with the Americans beating a lot better Soviet team.

On the canadian side, I hope we won't be searching for culprits. I really think we are moving in the right direction. Let's just don't panic how bad the defeat might be. Let's not forget about the distance we have made so far and be that defeat a reminder on how much we have to accomplish.

I don't think it was about winning the ball (Sophie Schmidt pretty much took anything she wanted), I think it was about creating attacking chances.

It was both - one of the reasons for the latter is because France kept doing the former over and over again all over the field - Schmidt was an occasionally exception to this, but otherwise they were first to the ball most of the time and the first two goals came from French players winning the ball off Canadian players in successful challenges (including Schmidt on the all-important first French goal). The constant winning of the ball by the French also prevented us from creating much in the way of chances as we could rarely get the ball up the field in a position to create anything.

I'm not saying we weren't out-skilled - just that I thought there was an even bigger gap when it came to physical aspects of winning challenges, getting to the ball first, etc.

On the canadian side, I hope we won't be searching for culprits. I really think we are moving in the right direction. Let's just don't panic how bad the defeat might be. Let's not forget about the distance we have made so far and be that defeat a reminder on how much we have to accomplish.

So so so true. But unfortunately that's what happens all too often here, we go on witch hunts. Usually it's the coach then if not the CSA. Never will I suggest that they don't have faults or problems but we constantly overlook the real problems because we put on blinders.

Congratulations France ! I think we have to start to consider that team as a serious contender for the title. That french coach what a special guy. He is a philosopher and a poet. No doubt in my mind the best group of women won today. I'm eager to see how far they will go. I knew nothing about them but after reading the article talking about the french team Vic had talk about, I felt this team was really dangerous, and I believe it more than ever :

Agreed.

We have bright future in women's side of Canadian soccer.

Archived