6/30/2011: Canada v. France

Vic

French announce their roster today, and with their foreign players returning this D1 season - all 21 are from their domestic league.

http://www.fff.fr/selections/femininesa/actu/537799.shtml

Also, some interesting commentary from their coach, especially this part (forgive my Google translation):

Q: What do you expect from your senior players, as Sandrine Soubeyrand and Sonia Bompastor? What roles do they hold in the locker room?

A: They are the bosses. Me, I do not allow myself to go into the locker room. I go there two minutes before the beginning and halftime. After all it is they who manage. These are girls of character, who make their work very well. They certainly do even better than me.

There's a lot of intelligence in that one little answer.

http://www.sports.fr/cmc/football/201123/bruno-bini-determine-pour-le-mondial_360553.html?featuresfootball

Here is the roster they submitted to FIFA:

GARDIENNES

DEVILLE Céline

Née le 24/01/1982 à Berck-sur-mer

Montpellier H.S.C.

PHILIPPE Laëtitia

Née le 30/04/1991 à Chambéry

Montpellier H.S.C.

SAPOWICZ Bérangère

Née le 06/02/1983 à Verneuil-sur-Avre

Paris Saint-Germain F.C.

DÉFENSEURS

BOMPASTOR Sonia

Née le 08/06/1980 à Blois

Olympique Lyonnais

FRANCO Corine

Née le 05/10/1983 à La Rochelle

Olympique Lyonnais

GEORGES Laura

Née le 20/08/1984 à Le Chesnay

Olympique Lyonnais

LEPAILLEUR Laure

Née le 07/03/1985 à Bernay

Paris Saint-Germain F.C.

MEILLEROUX Ophélie

Née le 18/01/1984 à Montluçon

Montpellier H.S.C.

RENARD Wendie

Née le 20/07/1990 à Schoelcher (Martinique)

Olympique Lyonnais

VIGUIER Sabrina

Née le 04/01/1981 à Rodez

Olympique Lyonnais

MILIEUX

ABILY Camille

Née le 05/12/1984 à Rennes

Olympique Lyonnais

BOULLEAU Laure

Née le 22/10/1986 à Clermont-Ferrand

Paris Saint-Germain F.C.

BUSSAGLIA Elise

Née le 24/09/1985 à Sedan

Paris Saint-Germain F.C.

NECIB Louisa

Née le 23/01/1987 à Marseille

Olympique Lyonnais

PIZZALA Caroline

Née le 23/11/1987 à Marseille

Paris Saint-Germain F.C.

SOUBEYRAND Sandrine

Née le 16/08/1973 à Saint-Agrève

F.C.F. Juvisy

ATTAQUANTES

BRETIGNY Sandrine

Née le 02/07/1984 à Le Creusot

Olympique Lyonnais

DELIE Marie-Laure

Née le 29/01/1988 à Villiers-le-Bel

Montpellier H.S.C.

LE SOMMER Eugénie

Née le 18/05/1989 à Grasse

Olympique Lyonnais

THINEY Gaëtane

Née le 28/10/1985 à Troyes

F.C.F. Juvisy

THOMIS Elodie

Née le 13/08/1986 à Colombes

Olympique Lyonnais

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Vic for the link on the France coach interview. Many interesting comments. My personnal favourite : "I did'nt select the 21 best players in France. I have chosen the 21 who will make the best group to go further in the competition. I made up my list with a concern for complimentarity. For 15 players choice was evident. It's on the last 5 you must be cautious not to go foul.

I don't know about France players abilities but reading this interview I know Canada must be cautious because you never know what a good group of players can achieve. That interview made me think about miracle on ice with the Americans beating a lot better Soviet team.

His views on team makeup are something all coaches at all levels have to stare down. It also explains why a guy like Hubert Busby in Vancouver has his hands full.

Luckily for Canada the French women have none of the gritty, tough and spirited passion of the Quebec women and girls.

• 2 weeks later...

110316180615_200delie.jpg537607.jpg

Marie-Laure Delie is just 23 but has already become the main threat for the French team.

France's last four games and Delie's goals:

Belgium 2-1 (2 goals)

Scotland 1-1

Scotland 3-0 (3 goals)

New Zealand 5-2 (3 goals)

Delie play's her club soccer for Montpellier and carried her team to the French Cup Final where Saint-Etienne beat them by keeping her off the board and sending the game to penalties at 0-0. You would imagine she was marked heavily, something we won't have the luxury of. It would have been a great game to scout.

French team promo event at the 2011 Foot'Océane:

http://www.fff.fr/mediatheque/feminine_a/537858.shtml

110605001424_match1.jpg

And at "the Duel" with French journalists:

http://www.fff.fr/mediatheque/feminine_a/537991.shtml

The event's videos are here:

http://www.fff.fr/mediatheque/feminine_a/538016.shtml

Both are pretty world class events from a getting the country behind you perspective. Giving the "Le Duel" strip to the journalists is a great idea. Those journalists are very important to their game and support - someone in the FFF has their act together arranging this.

Always great food with the French:

110612191042_2-duel.jpg

110612191103_3-Abily.jpg

110612191245_7-groupe.jpg

Short segment of the documentary on Les Blues which will air tonight in France on DTT at some ridiculous time like quarter past midnight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHblO5COHIQ

And a 30-second spot for their friendly against Belgium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em57nsehWxU

France's goals in Cyprus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLj09Ax-BpQ

And highlight's from one of leg of the France/Italy home and away that sent Italy to the playoff with the Americans for the last Cup spot. In the end you'll see the French achilles heel:

Supersub Bretigny's sights on success

1455232_FULL-LND.jpg

Lyon striker Sandrine Bretigny, a surprise inclusion in the squad selected by France national coach Bruno Bini for the upcoming FIFA Women’s World Cup Germany 2011™, has been brought in from the cold following a long international absence, and her heightened ambition could well prove to be the European side’s trump card in the tournament.

Having not been involved at this level since 2009, the prolific goal-getter will be hoping to have the chance to fully contribute towards a team whose core of players is drawn largely from the impressive Lyon team that dominated Europe this season.

Bretigny arrives in Germany fresh from securing a fifth consecutive French league-winners medal as well as the UEFA Champions League title, after Les Gones’ recent victory over Turbine Potsdam. The 2-0 result in the French side’s favour was a reversal of the outcome of last year’s final, when the Germans emerged on top after penalty kicks.

While many players would be more than satisfied with a trophy haul of that magnitude, Bretigny, who has only ever played for Lyon since her career began in 2000, has certainly been influenced by the all-conquering French outfit’s seemingly insatiable thirst for success. “Winning the Champions League was our number one objective this season. Achieving that goal brought us immense joy,” the Le Creusot-born international explained with a smile to FIFA.com.

“Lyon are an ambitious side, and we actually had our sights set on a cup-league-Champions league treble. Unfortunately, the Coupe de France got away from us, but it means that our goal for next season will be quite simple: defend the trophies we’ve won and win the ones that we’re missing!”

Goal machine

Bretigny’s ambition is dwarfed by that of Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas, who has challenged the female division of the club to emulate the record of seven consecutive league titles set by their male counterparts between 2001 and 2008.

If the forward continues to show the same prowess in front of goal, that dream could become a reality. With 19 goals in as many league games this season, her scoring exploits have invited comparisons with free-scoring figures from the men’s game such as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

She can come on and, thanks to her great skills in the box, completely turn a match around

- Lyon coach Patrick Lair on striker Sandrine Bretigny

But when Bretigny’s record is examined alongside her actual playing time, the statistics propel her into a whole new level. Having started just two games and spent 681 minutes on the pitch in the French championship this season, ‘Bretbut’ can currently boast a staggering ratio of a goal every 35 minutes.

The role of impact substitute is one she has adapted to reasonably well: “That’s the part I was asked to play this year, and I accepted it. The coach and I had numerous discussions about it. I tried to pay back the confidence he showed me in sending me out onto the field, and things turned out pretty well,” she said with a grin.

No substitute for skill

Bini, who was the guiding hand behind France’s qualification for women’s football’s flagship event in Germany, has included no fewer than ten members of Lyon’s triumphant team in his squad. The addition of Bretigny, after a two-year absence from the international arena, was welcomed by Patrick Lair, her coach at club level. “She can come on and, thanks to her great skills in the box, completely turn a match around,” he explained.

The desire to see Lyon’s success rub off on the national team is one that is increasingly shared by the French public back home, who would love to celebrate the FIFA Women’s World Cup title, especially after witnessing the men’s disappointing efforts at South Africa 2010.

Bretigny and her team-mates find themselves ideally placed to leave a lasting impression on fans and to showcase a game that has never looked healthier for women in France. And if, to achieve that objective, Les Bleues have to turn to the bench for some assistance during games, a certain Lyon supersub will be ready to react.

Canada Roster for Thursday:

Questions to be answered: Will Nault get a chance to win her spot back, what about Parker and Tancredi.

Are Scott or Moscato or Timko ready for a start?

I do hope that Matheson brings her A game ( she cheaply gave the ball away that led to the second goal )

Parker was out to lunch in my opinion but she's one of the three WPS players on the team but I do doubt Morace will give her a start.

With everthing on the line here's my prediction.

Mcleod Wilkinson Chapman Zurrer Gayle Matheson Schmidt Kyle Sinclair Tancredi Filigno

one odds maker has it

2.5 France Women

2.75 Canada Women

3.3 Draw

France's lineup is predictable with Renard out. The trouble comes when Le Sommer and Thomis come off the bench. If she's on the left Timko may have trouble with Thomis' speed/aggression. Necib likes to sit in the gap between the opposition mid and back line and create trouble, hopefully we have a plan to account for her there. If there's a player in the lineup that can be the surprise today it's Julien. She could be the missing third prong in the attack. Godspeed for an early goal to really put the pressure on the French.

We are rushing things too much. Trying too hard to get the goal back too quickly. Need to settle the game down and stop giving the ball away. There are sixty minutes left, plenty of time.

Need to find a way to get the ball to Sinclair. Schmidt playing well and is winning challenges but other than that, we are loosing too many 50-50 balls in midfield.

At this point my biggest concern is conceding another (which looks quite possible, if not likely) in the last 10 minutes of the first half. If that happens I'm afraid that this tournament may be over.

We look awful, it's women against girls at this point! How do we end up in a group with 2 of the World's top teams, is Jack Warner running things?

I dont agree that we look aweful but i Gotta agree about the group we got drawn into. France is looking better than I imagined.

Good half time comment by Claire rustadt. She was spot on. Sorry to say, it's not tactics or game plan. It's about execution.

Agree with Free kick. Canadians looking nervous. Rushing things too much. Commentators on the french CBC saying girls were looking tight before the game. Same comment from the analyst on the french CBC that execution lacking.

Tough however to take a goal on an uncalled offside !!!

Yeah, they look panicked and incredibly disorganized, a miracle to get out of that 10-15 minute stretch without getting a second against us. The first 5 minutes or so, though, we seemed to have the French on the back foot somewhat, we'll have to come out of the room in the same frame of mind or Tuesday's game is yet another meaningless tilt to close out a tournament. Used to a lot of that from the men, expected better from the women. By the way, why in the hell can't I watch the CBC's feed on their website if I'm out of the country, if I was in Canada I would just watch it on TV, it seems the people who would most benefit from CBC.ca's showing of anything and everything would be expats. Just saying, anyhow, come on ladies

Archived