6/30/2011: Canada v. France

Vic

AvroArrow's point about traditional soccer countries starting to develop their women's game is valid, but it is defeatist to write things off like that. Yes, it was inevitable that those countries would improve, but I don't buy that it was inevitable that they would (or will) surpass us. About 10 years ago we were ahead of such countries, but, as I said in my previous post, over the last 10 years we failed to maintain that advantage when we stuck with an outdated system. We need more time under our new system. (Jason De Vos said basically the same thing in the post-match!)

France are surely not as good as they looked today. They had a great game, we had a very bad game -- that doesn't mean they are suddenly so much better than us. (Clare Rustad pretty much made this point in the post-match!) For one thing, watch their game against Nigeria! Their real quality probably lies somewhere between the two performances they've shown in this WC so far.

I was gutted by the GC, more gutted by the U17 WC, and even more gutted by this. It's probably a good thing that we won't be playing in the Copa America and U20 WC!

Instead of a thorough post-match show, we got to watch a plane landing in Ottawa. Ugh.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would agree with this. She is pretty darn good looking too, I might add....

Lol True.

On a serious note, I can see why some French supporters label her as a female version of Zidane. She is really skilled AM which we desperately need both in men and women teams.

Also our kits look so amateurish compare to France's kit. Umbro really dropped the ball here.

But what adjustments was she supposed to make? No offense bit I hate it when make those kind of hollow statements with out elaboration. Change in formation? Then why? New players? When the whistles blows to start the game of soccer it's usually up to the

players. From that point onward, you make make subs scream instruction, move players Around etc. Soccer is not like chess, a good tactician CAN make a difference but not enough to turn a 4-0 defeat into a win.

Jose Mourinho only bothers coaching top sides that are already good, why do you think he doesn't bother with relegation bound sides. HE know he is good, but no coach can take crappy team to a championship.

Well, this Canadian team is not a crappy team. That's what makes this defeat so disappointing. Leading up to this match, there was nothing to suggest that too much separated these two teams, and few would've predicted total dominance by either side. Obviously, our ladies never rose to the occassion today, but a large part of that will rest on our coach. Would a good tactician lose 4-0 to a side that is, perhaps, only marginally better?

I wouldn't have imagined such a poor performance from a side that was tactically prepared for their opposition - I think Morace got it wrong on some level.

I was gutted by the GC, more gutted by the U17 WC, and even more gutted by this. It's probably a good thing that we won't be playing in the Copa America and U20 WC!

Really? You were "gutted" by Canada's best-ever showing (by a considerable margin) at an U17 World Cup and third best ever showing at any World or Confederations Cup on the men's side?

Well, this Canadian team is not a crappy teM

el.

That's not what I meant or said. It is a good team. My point was in general reference to how much influence a coach can have in soccer. People seem think that we lose, it's always the coach. We have very good coach with a very impressive resume.

I wouldn't have imagined such a poor performance from a side that was tactically prepared for their opposition - I think Morace got it wrong on some level.

...and before anyone gets upset about my Morace comment - I don't think she should be sacked or anything, I just think that a 4-0 loss at the WC to your main rival in a group stage match = dissappointing/unacceptable.

Really? You were "gutted" by Canada's best-ever showing (by a considerable margin) at an U17 World Cup and third best ever showing at any World or Confederations Cup on the men's side?
Ha, no, that's true (though by you pointing out that that was out third best ever showing, I now feel gutted in general. :) ). I had originally written "end [meaning last game] of the U17 WC" before rearranging my sentence and losing a couple of words. So let's say Canada vs. Panama was bad, Canada vs. Rwanda was worse, Canada vs. France was worst. I haven't considered my overall feelings about each tournament just yet.

Let's not forget about the distance we have made so far and be that defeat a reminder on how much we have to accomplish.

Contrary to popular opinion women's soccer in Canada has actually gone in reverse and I'll document that later this evening.

On the canadian side, I hope we won't be searching for culprits. I really think we are moving in the right direction. Let's just don't panic how bad the defeat might be.

The women and girls of this country, to use a Morace-ism, deserve no stone un-turned to put them on the field with the best possible opportunity.

Well I'm not used to this. Instead of a normally disappointing keep-it-close-but-don't-get-the-result-we-need game we got an absolute shellacking. France played very well, and we just made all of the mistakes we couldn't afford to make. Two tripped-over balls in the penalty box? Geez.

I wonder if I can turn a profit on my QF tickets though ...

Maybe it's an accomplishment to get to these tournaments, although we don't have to qualify for the Gold Cup but I will say it again: June 2011 will go down as one of the worst months ever in Canadian soccer!

Yes and no. I was expect the women to make to the quarter finals or even the semis but that's because I really underestimated how good the French were. The gold cup was to be an experiment anyways so in the bigger picture, what we learned will only benefit Stephen Hart and the team in the long run. As for the under seventeen, it was an accomplished to get there but a real downer when you see teams like Panama and new Zealand advance to second round and we don't. We know we are better than they are.

CBC will rebroadcast this game at 7:00 PM local. I shudder at all the casual viewers seeing it and the conclusions they will draw. I say do a reverse-North-Korea and pull it off the schedule now!

Seriously though, think of all those games we wish would be broadcast or broadcast on a more accessible channel, particularly games in which we do well. But this will get prime time treatment on the most accessible channel in the country. Ouch. And the last time this happened (IIRC) was the 2007 U20 WC. Double ouch.

Yes. But Panama and New Zealand advanced and we know we are better than them. I felt we were good enough at least to advance. The Rwanda game was there for the taking. So yes, it's an acknowledgement to qualify and collect two points, but I was gutted by that final outcome.

Yes and no. I was expect the women to make to the quarter finals but that's because I really underestimated how good the French were. The gold cup was to be an experiment anyways so in the bigger picture, what we learned will only benefit Stephen Hart and the team in the long run. As for the under seventeen, it was an accomplished to get there but a real downer when you see teams like PANAMA and NEW ZEALAND advance to second round and we don't. We know we are better than they are.

Are we better than them? I think you're a glass half full guy!

Are we better than them? I think you're a glass half full guy!

You don't think we are better than Panama and new Zealand at the u17? We beat Panama in the qualifying for the U 17 world cup qualifying. We didn't concede a goal in the whole qualifying tournment until extra time in the final.

As far as new zealand, I would remind you that we are talking about soccer here and not rugby. New Zealand has a population comparable to BC and soccer is very distant sport to rugby when it comes to support and the quality of athletes produced. I can't think of any kiwi who could remotely be considered a star in the sport of soccer. From and infrastructure and clubs standpoint what can they possible have that we don't.

Yes. But Panama and New Zealand advanced and we know we are better than them. I felt we were good enough at least to advance. The Rwanda game was there for the taking. So yes, it's an acknowledgement to qualify and collect two points, but I was gutted by that final outcome.
Great, I was really just gutted by the Rwanda game, but now you're making me rethink the whole thing. :)

Germany vs. Nigeria spoiler alert...

Halftime and it's 0-0! Nigeria are doing better than we did against Germany by halftime, and certainly better than we did today. They haven't had any scoring chances, but Germany haven't had any, either. Germany are playing poorly, but Nigeria are doing their part, too. This had me even more gutted (I'm throwing that word around very freely today) at first, but, hey, a huge upset here and we're still in it!!!

So much for close games.

Well someone even managed to blame EP for the defeat and the hard draw we got (as if the US, Sweden and North Korea isn't harder). Let's face it--France was just better in every way. Now lets hope we can at least put on a good showing against Nigeria or we might end up 15th or 16th in this tournament.

Just f#$%ing pathetic.

With play like that, Canada doesn't belong in this tournament :(

Edit: I can see having a bad game, but in this tournament, every game matters. It's the best of the best, and Canada simply didn't show up to play today.

Well I was disappointed, but not gutted. If we were better than Rwanda it was marginally so and as they barely lost to Uruguay (and were somewhat unlucky inthe process) I certainly didn't feel heading into the game that we were the overwhelming favourites. Whenever you try to advance as a third place team, you run the risk of getting unluckly because other teams in other groups are crappy - this applied moreso in the Gold Cup where teams that lost 5-0 were advancing over us because they had crappier teams they could beat up on to progress - but it still applied with the U17's. Panama lost two games in their group but got through because they beat the one team in the whole tourney who failed to get a single point (Burkina Faso). From what I saw of New Zealand in their 6-0 round of 16 loss to Japan, I am mystified how they managed to beat anyone in their group to come up with their 3rd place - especially as the team they beat walloped Australia 4-0 and has advanced to the QF. I think that must have been a fluke result, which goes to what I was saying above.

Let's give credit where credit is due. Ive seen more high quality individual plays by the French than from the canadians.

We are always improving in this sport but we can't seem to keep up with the pace of improvements elsewhere in the world. With the women, it's struggle to keep pace with the likes of France and with the men it's a struggle to keep up with the improvements from the central American countries.

To be honest, I think that the same is happening to the Americans. They are no way as dominant.

Agreed. Just a matter of time before Europe and South America dominate the women's game as well. Look at the Brazilian women - they already look distinctly "Brazilian" in the way that they play. I bet the # of women that play soccer in Brazil was many many times smaller than in the USA when Marta and Cristiane were growing-up. But its not gonna stay like that.

Very bad result. Old habits die hard and 2 years of Morace haven't rid the team of 8 years of Pellerund. Too bad I had high hopes for them. As long as we play punt and chase we will lose. The ladies game has moved beyond that just like the mens game did long ago. Route 1 soccer is a highway to hell.

Archived