6/30/2011: Canada v. France

Vic

24 hours after the fact and I still don't feel enough distance to comment on this intelligently. If I'm just some random fan following the team and feel this sad, I can't imagine how bad the players feel.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vic totally agree that the girls were tired either physically and/or mentally after the long Rome camp(s). On the othe hand, there was a break at one point when girls could have went home and most chose to stay in Europe. I believe you need a break and we would have been more effective if we did not have the long residency camp. USA, Germany both gav their players a break before the WC start.

Anyhow, live and learn I guess. And hoefully we wil come back strong for the Olympics.

Vic has a good read on the aspects of leaving home for extended residency. I too have experienced what he describes and it does have an huge impact on personal and sport. There is more to life than sport when you are an amateur or pro/am athlete.

We are between a rock and hard place as we don't have a league system similar to the Euro's and other soccer nations. Nor do we have a soccer culture with a farm or feeder system for youth development so they are being developed to move up the ranks to pro. Also, we can't do what the USSF has done either. Flipping through the FIFA WWC WNT player profiles is interesting to see which players are with current clubs or UNK

My feeling is the NT development structure we have has gone as far as it can for our teams. The structure needs to change much like the Aussies did for theirs. Like them Canada is isolated. Also going South to the NCAA or WPS doesn't really help our development program as a whole country. The US system looks after the US 1st.

Big challenge after the Olympics and getting ready for 2015 is going to be which of the 1980 - 1985's WNT players are going to be around. What new players are coming up the ranks with the experience needed. Even though Canada is the host, how much experience will the WNT get when for prep it's going to cost a ton of money to fly in teams to have friendlies. Like before which top teams will want to travel the distance to Canada or aren't available except maybe for tournaments due to their domestic leagues and championships.

My gut and experience tells me our WNT will still be the NT living out of suitcases unless we blow up our structure like the Aussies did to learn how to stand on our own and support our players with a structure that works. Canadian NSO's had no problem ramping up for 2010 and in other NSO sports, they have done well internationally as well. The big question for us is why the largest amateur sport in Canada can't and hasn't changed for decades?

This is a good article as it touches on some of the being away from home items -

Q&A with Rhian Wilkinson

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifawomensworldcup2011/blog/2011/07/qa-with-rhian-wilkinson.html

Also

CS discusses disappointment with Brenda Irving. Btw CS looks like she just finished a fight as the makeup doesn't really hide the bumps and bruises....ouch

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifawomensworldcup2011/video/topstories/2036347345

More

Where does Canada go from here? Kara Lang has some ideas

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifawomensworldcup2011/story/2011/07/01/sp-kara-lang.html

"And no one is more aware of this than the players themselves. If fans are disappointed, this team is devastated. This is a group that wholeheartedly recognizes the responsibility they have to grow the women's game in our country. They will no doubt view this loss as a missed opportunity to change the face of the sport in Canada. No one was more hopeful than coach Carolina Morace and her team.

So what now?

Well, there are a number of issues that need to be resolved within our national team programs - problems that start at the grass roots level of development and continue on up to governance of the Canadian Soccer Association. The logistical, financial, political, structural, cultural and fundamental challenges that the sport of soccer in Canada faces are endless at this point and absolutely need to be addressed for the future of the sport.

But change is not going to happen overnight."

Hold on guys, the CSA has the explanation of the fiasco. They say that "Canada was unquestionably in the toughest group of the competition". The problem with that excuse is that they knew this from long ago and in spite of it they, the players and the coach kept bragging about how they were bringing back a medal. plop!

Totally agree with this: Can someone explain to me why it would be so hard for someone to come in and train the coaches who train the youth programs the new style and best style of soccer at a young level? I grew up playing hockey all the way to college, only played soccer in high School. I love sports in general and love Canada. I have been following this team ever since l can remember and it always seems we come up short. I feel so bad because l feel like we deserve more at times! Is it a question of less athletes we get to pick from or the wrong training skills and seriousness towards soccer? I don't blame the coach at all, she is trying her best and has been trying to take away everything they have learned up until she arrived.....then she has to teach them the right way. Also some of the girls play on other teams then go and train on the NT then back to their own team, l think this would be hard to focus when players are getting coached by 2 different coaches....l could be wrong l am just trying to figure out what happened like the rest of you. I was so pumped up for the WWC l was telling all my friends that have kids to watch and support something other than hockey!! especially the ones with kids in soccer. Well l vented enough my only hope is for a strong win vs. Nigera, hopefully they can at least show the world we can play!!

Quote Originally Posted by navycyr View Post

I have read the France newspapers and web sites this morning to see their comments. I'll retain the french coach Bruno Bini comments after the game : "Skills made the difference" and "The goal is to have the whole team play well."

The lack of technical skills couldn't be more evident than at the 57th minute when Sinclair fed an almost perfect ball that should have sent Kaylyn Kyle alone with the french keeper but resulted in a rushed out off the net shot after Kyle was unable to control at the reception. Score was till 0-1 at the time and should have the ball being received adequately we

should have tied the game. I think this sequence of play is the turning point of that game and it shows perfectly well how the lack of skills has hurted us as stressed by Bini.

I disagree with those saying more professionnal teams in Canada would do a difference. We already have 8 teams in the W-League (Quebec, Laval, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, London, Vancouver and Victoria). What I have seen so far either last year or this year (to the exception of the Whitecaps and Victoria that I haven't seen since they play on the other side of

the country), those teams favor direct style of play to the exception of the Ottawa Fury who has a style of play more based on skills and ball control. No surprise they sit ahead of the whole pack in the Northeast. No surprise either why attendance is so low. Even if I am sold to soccer, I find games boring while the best senior amateur teams offer a better show whith players maybe not as fast or athletic but moving better the ball around. If we are to increase the number of pro teams in Canada to see more of the same of what is being offered right now, I say NO !

What's needed is a greater emphasis on technical abilities and that will be tough to change since we have a hockey culture where, to the exception of skating abilities, you always can compensate lack of technique by greater intensity. We have to

put more emphasis in the recruiting process, at every stage, on technical and tactical abilities rather than purely athletic ones. The goal is not to produce the best track and field athletes but the best soccer players. You can have very athletic

players running hard against opponents and killing most of their plays but it is useless if you constantly give the ball back by lack of tactical or technical abilities.

A month? They were in Italy in March and have been away virtually since September.

And no, they're not mentally weak athletes. They're a bunch of people that gave up an entire year of their life. Try giving up everything you know and have and love for a year. It's so much the opposite it's obscene.

They're also not throwing excuses and pretty much everything I've read from them does say they performed below expectations.

It's fine to be disappointed but there's no need to disrespect people who have sacrificed so much for the country.

That’s what top tier athletes do.

How many teen boys move away from home at 16 to play Jr hockey in Canada, Olympic athletes that have to move away from home to get the best training they can, or young soccer players who have to move to other countries to achieve their professional ambitions? If playing a sport is what you love the sacrifices seem worth it, otherwise you would quit. What you wrote implied they are mentally weak because they weren’t ready for the mental challenges and preparation necessary for the World Cup. Unless you believe the CWNT had the hardest route to the World Cup and the largest commitment of any nation? If they didn’t they were certainly under the same stresses other nations played under.

I didn’t disrespect the team or the players but your view of what went wrong. I am glad the players aren’t making excuses, they are certainly better than that. I would never disrespect any player of this team either because our girls have played so well recently. Yes they played below expectations in the WWC, but I have to believe their previous level of a play wasn’t a mirage and this team could do well in the future.

It's highly doubtful the 8 W-League teams can be classified as professional as the the wages if any aren't enough to classify the job as a primary career. Further a 2 month season is hardly comparable to the Women's Leagues in Europe where their league season alone is around 8 months. Add to that Cup games, tournaments and NT duty they play all year round. For 2011/12 UEFA Women's Champions League they have a record entry of 54 clubs from 46 nations. How in the heck can NA's WPS and W-league stack up against those European numbers is a huge question?

She did a lot of good things, but that was IMHO a faux pas. Pellerud, same but to a lesser extent. As a coach you do everything you humanly can and you go to the wall for your players. I have no doubt whatsoever Morace absolutely broke her back to succeed for everyone. I just don't think people can go through that and come out fresh, energetic, invigorated and lively with a sense of place and purpose.

It's just not real and you're not real anymore. You lose the context. We are all of family, we are all of friends, we are all of Canada. You can't remove that for three months, it becomes too distant.

So clearly six months in Kandahar is too long ? Just how do you expect top level athletes who in some cases are professionals in others paid by the state to act being away from home ? These women need to get to the point they understand how to find their way around a town, do their own laundry, be personally responsible for the life they lead outside playing soccer, to say if your in Rome for four months and the only folks you get to know are your fellow players .... says a lot about lack of independence these players must have... hell after four months I would expect half of them to be speaking italian at a reasonable functional level with some being pretty much on the way to fluency.

Women players to play at the highest level are going to have to leave home, to break moma's apron strings and women up, some of these players should be getting themselves onto club teams in Europe for the winter, others should be signing on in Brasil for runs on the Copa do Brasil starting in late August. Sorry the away from home excuse is crap.... 14 year old girls in Canada go to Barrie to become figure skaters, 23 year olds with degrees from

US university's should not have excuses made for them based on they were not at home... with moma.

It also wears you down to constantly be surrounded by 25 people who are not suited to you in any way but soccer. Month after month without personal space. I've been through this and seen how it affects people.

So these players are not suited to each other in anyway ? Seriously your main interest in life is soccer and you can't find in a group of 25 a friend ? ... a buddy or two ? ... of course you can and the media and the team made so much about how they joked so much with each other so this rational is .. once again crap. If at this level you cant go to the pitch and play well without liking each other you should be off the team, you put down your lunch pail in the pit Vic and you work on the coal face.... you pass the ball to your team mate... ( not your freaking soul mate ). Vic if what you allude to were true why did I just see eight or nine of the players in Starbucks on a Saturday morning hanging out ?, these women are not disconnected from each other and the excuse of away from home to long does not hold water at all.

No one else is down the same road so I may well be just another out of line quackpot. But if I am right, how much is on her and how much is on the CSA for allowing it a second time is judgement.

I've also said this in the past a few times.

Now I do have to ask how much in on the CSA because the whole battle for control of the team never should have happened if a proper contract was written and both sides to the contractual arrangment lived up to its terms, clearly something was wrong and it sucked energy from the team and management of the team. Where I am going to agree with you on one issue or tangent of your thoughts Vic is that this team management had no strong leadership voice who could draw on and use a Canadian context for bringing the team to the right emotional levels.

I do not believe Morace has in any way embraced a Canadian value system and much like Pelerud before her she remains aloof and disconnected to the need to embrace and use the culture of the majority to bring them together emotionally. Sorry having Andrea Neil as the token assistant is not doing it, and you have to ask ... is Christine Sinclair a player who should be the captain, can she say the right things at a half time down by one to France to change the course of the game ?

Thats what leaders do ..thats what good and sometimes great captains do ...that is her role on this team ... I am not sure what she said to the team at half time... it would be instructive to know ..perhaps the media could ask her instead of lobbing soft balls about how disapointed are you.

So to summarize Vic....

If being away at home at 22 is to stressfull we better not send anyone to war anymore, or on ships to patrol the seas cause its just to hard.

Leaders emerge and need to lead, we seem to have a group whose leader is not doing it, that needs to change.

Players have to own the failure in the time under Morace to develop the technical skills displayed by the french, if you have days and days and are dedicated to one thing can you not repeat and repeat the skills till they are second nature and never leave you ?

Some honesty needs to come from the CSA and the coach.. Morace needs to say " Yes I do not have a group of skilled players to choose from and the real job in Canada is to reform the youth levels, and I will recommend how to do that to the CSA and will lead a push to ensure a real developmental base exists" she has not done that nor has Pelerud, and the CSA says it cannot mandate to provinces what to do .. so there is a huge huge shell game going on at the upper levels of the game in Canada.... by the blazers and by the National coaching staff.... ALL OF THEM .. male and female.

It's highly doubtful the 8 W-League teams can be classified as professional as the the wages if any aren't enough to classify the job as a primary career. Further a 2 month season is hardly comparable to the Women's Leagues in Europe where their league season alone is around 8 months. Add to that Cup games, tournaments and NT duty they play all year round. For 2011/12 UEFA Women's Champions League they have a record entry of 54 clubs from 46 nations. How in the heck can NA's WPS and W-league stack up against those European numbers is a huge question?

Real pros in women's north american soccer are in the NCAA where you get paid between $25,000 and $50,000 a year in scholarship to play soccer. An important part of the players in the W-League is still at school either here or in the US.

I don't know how a "more professional" league can be put up with a longer season. On one hand, it would experience difficulties attracting girls still at school (under 23) and on the other hand, I hardly can see how it would generate revenues to pay decently the players. It is not with attendances in the 300 you'll ever be able to generate sufficient revenues or interest rich sponsors. In Europe UEFA forced pro men teams to invest heavily in women's soccer. You can hardly do the same here where men's pro club generate lot less revenues. The only solution left would be to support such a league through taxpayer's money. I can not see that happening either with governments experiencing difficulties assuming the growing health care costs.

Totally agree with this: Can someone explain to me why it would be so hard for someone to come in and train the coaches who train the youth programs the new style and best style of soccer at a young level? I grew up playing hockey all the way to college, only played soccer in high School. I love sports in general and love Canada.

What is needed in a simple emphasis on ball dominance, that is the ability to handle the ball in all situations with two feet, you do not need someone to go out and coach the coaches, you need someone to write down in simple steps the way you teach ball dominance.

So you need to write out that you must practice reception of the ball on all of your foot surfaces, then to all of your body surfaces so you can adjust to the ball and make it drop to your feet so you can possess the ball.

Its not so hard it is so simple to say that is the core, the failure is coaches are not supported by clubs to do the training .... its boring its not fun.... well truth is learning to play the piano at a high level can be very boring doing scales all day ..learning to move your fingers faster and faster.. what does not exist in most community clubs is a written out plan for player ball dominance training and that such a plan is given to each player and parent so they know what the focus is on.

Go watch a u 9 level game anywhere in Canada and you will still hear cheers for the child that kicks the ball the furthest, and none of the coaches will go to the parents and say ..um excuse me but that is exactly not what we want your child to and it is not what we want to praise, we want players to keep the ball on their feet under their knees, close and in control until they can make a successfull pass to a player who can recieve the ball and maintain control, otherwise hold onto the ball .... look for options, dribble out of trouble, or look back to pass back out of trouble.... the game is very simple, we just need to get to the proper basics and drilll players on them for the ten thousand hours necessary to excel in ball dominance.

No practice with out a ball on your feet, no practice with running for sake of running without the ball.

Any running that is off ball should be calculated running to position oneself to support the ball and its possession by your team

Practice in small spaces 20 metres by 40 metres dominate the ball in small spaces then learn to pass it in short passes to be timed and struck quickly... its all so so simple, but its not going to be fun in the way people want to ask for practices to be fun... its a skill development you do repetitions thousands of times... go in a rink and ask a figure skater how many times she attempts a double jump per day to get it to be consistent... and ask how many years she does it to get consistent, ask how many times she falls to do it, then ask a soccer player and you have your answer why we produce champions in skating and do not produce champions in soccer yet.

How many teen boys move away from home at 16 to play Jr hockey in Canada, Olympic athletes that have to move away from home to get the best training they can, or young soccer players who have to move to other countries to achieve their professional ambitions?

Teen hockey and young soccer players who relocate are in family homes, go to school and have their own lives. Partners and relocated families and community too.

If playing a sport is what you love the sacrifices seem worth it, otherwise you would quit.

Over 99% of women who play the game at the top level live on lower than subsistence wages and they rarely say a word. Yet the biggest shortfall they have to endure is a lack of respect.

What you wrote implied they are mentally weak because they weren’t ready for the mental challenges and preparation necessary for the World Cup. Unless you believe the CWNT had the hardest route to the World Cup and the largest commitment of any nation? If they didn’t they were certainly under the same stresses other nations played under.

Trust me, in absolutely no way did anything I write in any way whatsoever say or even intimate they are mentally weak.

I'm telling you I've seen what happens to people in that situation. You prefer your opinion of what happens, that's your right and perogative.

If being away at home at 22 is to stressfull we better not send anyone to war anymore, or on ships to patrol the seas cause its just to hard.

Everything in life is stressful. Again, I'm telling you what I believe they went through and you're saying it's unacceptable. The world's big enough for more than one opinion on psychology.

Women players to play at the highest level are going to have to leave home, to break moma's apron strings and women up, some of these players should be getting themselves onto club teams in Europe for the winter, others should be signing on in Brasil for runs on the Copa do Brasil starting in late August. Sorry the away from home excuse is crap.... 14 year old girls in Canada go to Barrie to become figure skaters, 23 year olds with degrees from US university's should not have excuses made for them based on they were not at home... with moma.

I didn't say it's tough being away from home. All of these women left home as a teenager to play the game (and that momma stuff is out of line). I said the way it was done I believe they lost their context, clarity, sense of purpose and connection to reality and were put in a situation which bred the result.

So these players are not suited to each other in anyway ? Seriously your main interest in life is soccer and you can't find in a group of 25 a friend ? ... a buddy or two ? ... of course you can and the media and the team made so much about how they joked so much with each other so this rational is .. once again crap. If at this level you cant go to the pitch and play well without liking each other you should be off the team, you put down your lunch pail in the pit Vic and you work on the coal face.... you pass the ball to your team mate... ( not your freaking soul mate ). Vic if what you allude to were true why did I just see eight or nine of the players in Starbucks on a Saturday morning hanging out ?, these women are not disconnected from each other and the excuse of away from home to long does not hold water at all.

I've said a thousand times I don't care if I play with the devil if he can score goals. If I put you in the middle of the Amazon with 25 other people and three months later I see you walking by the river with eight others, does that mean you're mentally balanced and connected to the world and fully focused and ready to perform at your personal best? Or does it mean you've found a few other people in the same situation and are Lord of the Flies-ing?

You both believe the players should have been able to overcome the situation they were put in, I don't. There's no need to get any more detailed than that.

To add to what Vic said, the community into which junior hockey players move reveres them. I doubt that sort of community support existed in Rome. This community support also allows them to expand out (and, for the most part, there is no cultural or language divide either).

The junior players don't have to cope with the effects of low income, either - either they have enough money or they have their supporters to pay (I've never seen a junior player pay for a beer in a bar, and, yes, they are underage).

It seems to me we have seen the psychological version of the amateur mistake of overtraining. Where was the recovery period over the last four months?

Its makes me so sad to hear how easy this can be converted. When l played hockey we did a 50/50 for boring skills then on to fun stuff! ....then l was sent to Belleville bulls summer hockey school and found out how serious all the boring little stuff makes you into a great hockey player! l didn't enjoy it but when l started back up in september at home l was a way better hockey player! I agree with everything you are saying Trillium, its got to be so frustrating to see this as all these kids play and waste precious time for the ones that have something special but will never get the proper training. I watched the Fra vs. Can game again but this time l concentrated on France more to compare the teams. In my opinion l seen alot of great finesse from the france players, the balls they put forward to the stikers were perfect....not too hard and wasted. Canada in the first half could have had a couple goals with sharper play. I seen the Canadians not attacking the french to force them to make mistakes and get the ball back. The defence either started playing long balls for passing? or froze up and kept the ball to long leading to scoring. Just simple things that can be fixed, which l thought they were working on. So then l think about sometimes you can train someone all you want but the player needs to be somewhat of a natural in the beginning...the ones that have always stuck out. I feel for the team, they don't have a big wadge even when they lose to lean on like some professional athletes do. Siny's broken nose did effect her in the last game too, l felt pretty heartbroken to see her out there. Anyways thanks for all the opinions on her....been a joy to read. I guess it comes down to if we want good players at a young age we do need some serious leagues at a young age with a coach who will teach them the right tactics to compete at a high level and to also play competative with other teams. Heres for hoping!! About the whole away from home thing, l think they should of all went home to see their families for a week before the World Cup started, just to relax...at that point they would have had all the training they needed! Just my view on it!! might have made feel complete and have some balance.

Vic and Paul-collins is got it right about junior hockey players. Our family was a season ticket holders in the Scott Gomez days with the South Surrey Eagles. The team were local heroes and role models when they were in town. Mostly there were on the road, practicing, school and playing. Was a great era then.

On the money side, the CWNT players are making ends meet by living at home and being supported by their parents. Been this way for decades with maybe the Kerfoot Residency being the only exception. Sure the players get AAP from Sports Canada at $1500 a month it's hardly liveable let alone enough to be a full time amateur athlete. CWNT players in the WPS are probably at the average contract at around $32K for 7 months. I understand those CWNT players in Europe, make enough to afford a rental, food and Starbuck money shared with a teammate.

Leaving home to play sports you love and trying to make ends meet. Been there done that and Vic has a good view of it IMO.

Residency camps, I think the CWNT players agree it's the best with what they can do. It's not ideal and the camps are somewhere in between nothing and having a domestic pro league.

Ownership by the players has been unanimous that it was them who's shoulders the responsibility for the disastrous game and early exit rests on. A good step in recovery and they will figure it all out, ask for support and move on. One step backward and two forward is still moving forward in my books.

To add to what Vic said, the community into which junior hockey players move reveres them. I doubt that sort of community support existed in Rome. This community support also allows them to expand out (and, for the most part, there is no cultural or language divide either).

The junior players don't have to cope with the effects of low income, either - either they have enough money or they have their supporters to pay (I've never seen a junior player pay for a beer in a bar, and, yes, they are underage).

It seems to me we have seen the psychological version of the amateur mistake of overtraining. Where was the recovery period over the last four months?

Please. As long as bleeding hearts continue to make excuses our country has no chance. I wonder if the third world countries in this tourney have had it as tough as our girls.(lol)

Did we not spend 2 million on the prep for this. We looked out of shape, tactically naive and technically deficent.

Hang on as it will only get worse. Canada had a half decent chance at success at the female level when few other countries cared. Not so now.

Hopefully the CSA will disappear and the NTC's ( a real scam those.)

Bleeding hearts.This is international soccer, not pub league on a Sunday.

At this point I'm a little uncertain how good or bad they are, but sure enough they panicked after first goal. What followed was maybe the worst they can play. How good are they? Do you evaluate the whole progress of their program based on that melt-down and ignore the rest of their record? I don't know. Maybe, because this is when it counts. Yet maybe not, if they simply fell apart under the pressure. They seem after to be so concerned about how much time they put in wasted, their family watching, etc, that must have been going thru their heads during the game. I don't think they were mentally prepared for any adversity. Do they have team psychologists? I dunno.

I was tempted before the France game to post 'I smell another crash-out' but I didn't want to appear a jerk. I sensed circumstances were not favorable. They had started with an automatic loss. Then had to draw (at least) with all eyes on them. While Sinclair plays injured.

I remember being puzzled by the highlights from their two games against Brazil in that tournament down there. I watched the second game highlights first, and Canada had plenty of chances ... Then I watched the first game highlights, and Canada no chances at all! Something wasn't right, I thought, back then. How could they play one game like door mats and then the next challenge Brazil ... didn't make sense.

Archived