Canada - Ecuador Game Thread [R]

Lord Bob

Great win by Canada. Watched it today as I was out last night; however, I think they slowed down after having that lead. Good to see the kids perform and I am super pumped for Canada vs USA!! Traded my tickets with a friend of the family and I am now in row 1 section 115!! Let's go Canada !! As for the goal, the whistle was blown and he waved his arm to play on, so it's legit in my eyes.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great result. Very impressed with how well we played, especially that first half. We coulda been up 2 or 3-0.

I always like Dunfield and he's more than earned himself into the starting 11. I'm worried about Jakovic getting hurt. Thats a big hit, heading to GC. Man, I wish Hart would give Edgar a call.

Toronto was a disgrace. Absolutely. I feel for the Canadian fans that went and especially for our players, they did an amazing job but until we can at least compete with the opposing fans, Toronto shouldn't be getting games. We all have the same problem and there will always be big numbers of opposing fans but this game was sickening. This was Ecuador for heaven's sake! Imagine if it HAD been Mexico? I don't know who should be getting the blame for this BS, if it's the CSA, TFC, the media, the soccer fans? Whatever... It doesn't change the fact that there were what? 2000 Canadian fans lost in a sea of south americans at a home game! Our players deserve better and the real fans in Toronto deserve better. BMO isn't the only place to play... I don't want to risk this crap happening for WCQ. Our odds are better in Vancouver or Montreal(for some matches) or a Canada-Mexico game in Edmonton in November.... Toronto sucked it big. Disgraceful. (oh yeah, I don't care how jovial and friendly the yellow shirts were, they can stuff their tiny little Canadian flags back in pockets if they come to cheer any other country trying to defeat us in Canada

LMAO @ this typical anti-Toronto rant over a friendly game.

Didn't Mexican supporters outnumber Canadian supporters in Edmonton last time they played against each other? Also, Canadian fans were loud throughout the game unlike Ecuador fans. There aren't many Mexicans in GTA!

LMAO @ this typical anti-Toronto rant over a friendly game
Sorry, but James was absolutely spot on. Call it anti Toronto if you want, I call it epic fail. Time to give other cities the chance to fail as miserably as Toronto. Start with Moncton.

Again, no disrespect to the great hardcore supporters

First off as always it was a fantastic night with the Voyageurs. Atmosphere was very good, especially at the end after the goal. I just finished watching the game on DVR. So a few thoughts

- Hutchinson and Simpson are consistently our two best players. Both of them have been good every game playing for the nats since the home friendlies last summer. Coming off probably a career-club season for each of them I have little doubt they'll bring the same level to the Gold Cup.

- Borjan is awesome, not only a very good keeper but this guy seems like he would be up with us in the stands if he wasn't playing. Near the end of the match he was trying to pump up the south side to get behind the team, and after the Ricketts' goal he was going crazy.

- McKenna had another solid game, may have done better on the Benitez goal from the corner but all around was clearly our best defender. He had some very good tackles and positionally he seemed comfortable. I really like him as captain, he could become a real motivational figure for the team moving forward.

- That goal from Dunfield was unbelievable, reminded me of Gerba's half-volley against Mexico a few years back. Perfect technique, except this one was even better placed than Gerba's. Also it came out of no where, if I had to pick a player who would score a screamer before the game Dunfield would have been pretty low down on that list.

- The second half after Dunfield was removed and even towards the end of the first half I thought our midfield looked pretty weak defensively. They weren't really holding a line, and often were stuck in 1v1 situations against the Ecuadorian attackers. Luckly they had decent support with McKenna and Hainault behind them, but as a unit I was a little disappointed with how the midfield defended.

- Julian De Guzman had a nice heads up play to take the quick free kick for the equalizer, but other than that I thought he was very poor. A few bad giveaways, didn't offer anything offensively and was culpable as part of the aforementioned poor defensive midfield unit. De Guzman on a good day certainly has more to offer than Dunfield, but Dunfield's consistency recently compared to De Guzman has me wondering who is the right choice to start against the Americans.

- I thought Marcel De Jong looked pretty poor. He was alirght defensively, but we need our fullbacks to offer more going forward than he did. After Simpson was subbed out, we didn't have any attacks coming from the left wing. He was slow getting the ball out of our own third after winning the ball, and this led to a few giveaways. The leftback spot is going to be another contentious issue going into the game against the States.

- De Ro was good enough to warrant the start in the Gold Cup, as was Jackson. Niether were brilliant but they did enough.

- Ledgerwood certainly was not out of his depth against Ecuador, but I think Peters still has a chance to take that right back position. As does Hainault, depending on whether the Jakovic injury forces him into the starting centre back role.

- Scoring late goals has never been a speciality of Canada, but its almost always a trademark of winning teams. So when better to start than now. Two injury time equalizers against South American opponents in the last year is a good sign. It also feels f*cking amazing to score a late goal like that.

Last night was certainly a moral victory for our squad and supporters, and leaving the stadium last night I was on top of the world. But re-watching the game there are certainly some issues heading into the Gold Cup that need to be addressed. I hope its an improved team facing the Americans next week after another week of training together.

Allez Les Rouges!!!!

Firstly, this game should have been in Toronto even if nobody was going to show up because it's close to Detroit and best for the players.

Second, I think this game could have drawn a good pro-Canada crowd if you'd played it somewhere where international soccer was a novelty. Put it at a CFL stadium in Saskatchewan or Winnipeg, say, and I bet they do okay. It's before CFL season and it's something those cities never see.

Ya sure, why not. Let's play it an artificial surface. What's another ACL or three.

Ya sure, why not. Let's play it an artificial surface. What's another ACL or three.

I think it should be played at Empire, with the heavily and unevenly spread marbled pitch. I can start an advertising business by carving out business names in the pools of black rubbet pellets. :)

Sorry, but James was absolutely spot on. Call it anti Toronto if you want, I call it epic fail. Time to give other cities the chance to fail as miserably as Toronto. Start with Moncton.

The other cities had their chances a long time ago. CMNT only started playing in Toronto when BMO field was made. Before that, Toronto never got the chance to host CMNT.

Reason why CSA wants Toronto because money (thanks to CSA jacking up ticket prices in Toronto while lower ticket prices outside of Toronto CMNT games) and coverage (it's easier for media to cover team in Toronto than anywhere else in Canada since all our media is located in Toronto). Also, grass field and players preference plays a role here as well.

Toronto has proven it can support the team like no one else (with real soccer fans not your soccer mom crowds like you see non-Toronto CMNT games in Canada) in Canada before (WCQ game against Jamaica). This typical anti-Toronto rant by outsiders is funny.

You want people supporting Canada lets discuss what the supporters in Toronto were all saying..

Let's look at this way the CSA does absolutely nothing to promote games locally for starters. The entire west stand 2nd deck was empty, what was stopping the CSA from donating or giving discounted tickets to OSA participants and family? Nothing thats what. The whole point of these friendlies supporterswise is to build a fanbase and an awareness of the National Team. Another option is to work with Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps to alot these friendlies into season holder packages. After years of ticket gauging fans I seriously doubt these two teams are going to charge more for tickets. Something needs to be worked out. So blame TFC? Other than TFC playing at BMO Field I'm not quite sure as to why this is a valid argument, it's pathetic to be honest. Come back at me with a well constructed argument and I'll again ask you why. To be honest I was happy to see the amount of support the team had for a mid week friendly. Let us remember the focus should not be how many Ecuadorians or whomevers show up, more so how many red shirts. Yelling "where's your passport" etc is quite insulting and shows a lack of class towards us as Canadians. I think if such energy had been used in the lack of singing and chanting we had yesterday our support would have been a hell of alot better than it was. The general amount of Toronto bashing is ridiculous.. Anyone who was at the Jamaica qualifier will tell you how electric it was and how proud the feeling was to be Canadian.

Flame away.

Let's look at this way the CSA does absolutely nothing to promote games locally for starters.
Toronto=epic fail. I'm amazed at how many here are missing the elephant in the room. Yes the hardcore supporters were great, everything else...failure

Perfect time for this

Missing the action

Gerry Dobson June 2, 2011

The BMO stands were paved with gold Wednesday night as Canada lacked support.

So where were you? No really, where were you? We missed you at BMO Field as Canada played Ecuador to a thrilling 2-2 draw in the most entertaining game you'll see in Toronto this year.

For those of you who did come out and support the team in red -- well done -- you probably have no voice left as you cheered so loudly. Kudos -- you were fantastic.

As for the rest of you who claim to be proud Canadian soccer fans, and who are always complaining that our Nats never play at home, again I ask, where were you?

The Twitter world was all over me right after the game as I went on there complaining about the lack of support. Many replied by hauling out the same old lame excuses. Let's say there really were a little more than 14,000 people there as was announced. That means, by my best guess, about 10,000 had to be wearing yellow in support of Ecuador. All the numbers sound high to me, but I think I have the percentages right.

So here's what people said. Some made comments via Twitter, others through email, some to my face after the game and a few even before the game began.

"The CSA botched the promotion."

Stop blaming the CSA. The CSA is an easy target and you've worn that one out. Ecuador fans knew the game was on.

"Dobson you suck and Sportsnet botched the promotion."

I don't care what you think of me, and again, Ecuador fans knew it was happening.

"I didn't know where to buy tickets."

Once, again Ecuador fans....well you get the picture.

How about this one: "It was a school night."

Then why were there so many youngsters in yellow running around having a great time.

"It was a meaningless friendly."

Tell that to Terry Dunfield and Tossaint Ricketts who each scored their first goals for Canada. Both could not have been more proud, nor likely more disappointed in the lack of Canadian support.

The weather was spectacular, the game was a high-tempo entertaining affair with a wild finish at an affordable price. I am sick and tired of lame excuses for not supporting our national team. If you had a good reason for not getting there, fair enough and if you don't care about the Canadian team, that's your right, although I'll never understand that one.

There are nearly half a million soccer players in Ontario and half of them live in the greater Toronto area. I saw scant evidence of their presence at BMO Field.

Again, I'm not talking to those of you who faithfully show up and scream your lungs out. Well done to you all. We just need more of you. I feel like diving into the supporters section at BMO Field. It's the only place I feel at home.

You lost me at Gerry Dobson, clearly you haven't watched many sportsnet games.

Once again how is it the city of Toronto's fault that the CSA doesn't promote games? Your argument is stupid dude, just think it through hug a tree or whatever it is you do in Vancouver.

Was able to watch the 2nd half finally. JDG was not as bad as people thought. Not sure what the fuss is about. He wasn't great (ie, Brazil or Deportivo MVP) but he was OK. Friend should now be behind all forwards including Hume. Ledgerwood is not good enough for our First XI.

Ecuador attacking and putting us under pressure must be expected. They were trailing, have strong technical ability, and play in a difficult region - their pressure to overturn the result was to be expected.

That being said - our GC performance should be expected to be HIGH and we can have every expectation of results v. Panama and Guad, not to mention some measure of hope of a draw (though not much!) v. USA.

Also - TAKE THAT ECUADOR! You get what you deserve with that flopping!

The attendance is not a surprise, its a catch 22

Better performances from the national team will increase support yet if we increase support regardless of the results i believe our performances will be better.

Yet the only way i see us gain support in the short run is if we win the gold cup or qualify for the WC, then the bandwagonners will join. ;)

Just to put in perspective all the moaning about attendance, Dobson opened the broadcast with a moan about poor fan support. Seems he's been infected with the same malaise you all are.

I'm not thrilled with the attendance, and I'm one of the ones who found an excuse to not attend (daughter's first game of the house league season, in her second season - she did not have a brilliant first one, this one is crucial to her staying with the sport). The early kickoff would have worked very well for me to bring my two kids as I did for Peru, school night or no.

That said, the lack of promotion - both by CSA and the traditional media - has to factor into it. Did anyone else notice the "Blue Jays can be found on Sportsnet One" tickers a bit disrespectful? It's high time Sportsnet was shown the door.

I hope TSN gets it right with MLS and that they have a long range plan which includes Brazil and the WWC in Canada.

Let's all keep in mind the Stanley Cup Finals were on at same time and a Canadian team is not only in it, but expected to win. But yes, the whole "Also on..." and other things at the bottom of the screen were ridiculous.

TSN should get the gig, or CBC and hire Gerry and Craig.

Was able to watch the 2nd half finally. JDG was not as bad as people thought. Not sure what the fuss is about. He wasn't great (ie, Brazil or Deportivo MVP) but he was OK. Friend should now be behind all forwards including Hume. Ledgerwood is not good enough for our First XI.

Ecuador attacking and putting us under pressure must be expected. They were trailing, have strong technical ability, and play in a difficult region - their pressure to overturn the result was to be expected.

That being said - our GC performance should be expected to be HIGH and we can have every expectation of results v. Panama and Guad, not to mention some measure of hope of a draw (though not much!) v. USA.

Also - TAKE THAT ECUADOR! You get what you deserve with that flopping!

I don't know what to expect at the GC, really. Far as results. Especially in the USA game. I know they can play well for stretches.. so I expect to enjoy watching it, regardless. But it's CONCACAF, lose to USA and a bad call in Guad game and uh oh. The Panama game will have more diving than a 10 metre springboard competition..

Just to put in perspective all the moaning about attendance, Dobson opened the broadcast with a moan about poor fan support. Seems he's been infected with the same malaise you all are.

I'm not thrilled with the attendance, and I'm one of the ones who found an excuse to not attend (daughter's first game of the house league season, in her second season - she did not have a brilliant first one, this one is crucial to her staying with the sport). The early kickoff would have worked very well for me to bring my two kids as I did for Peru, school night or no.

That said, the lack of promotion - both by CSA and the traditional media - has to factor into it. Did anyone else notice the "Blue Jays can be found on Sportsnet One" tickers a bit disrespectful? It's high time Sportsnet was shown the door.

I hope TSN gets it right with MLS and that they have a long range plan which includes Brazil and the WWC in Canada.

What's CBC's status on owning WC rights, don't they usually host it?

Yeah, you guys are marketing geniuses. Let's punish the part that's growing - loud, passionate, organized Canadian support - to a level never seen before at Canada games because you guys watching on TV didn't think it met your standards.

THIS

IS

A

PROCESS

Start with the organized groups in the end; grow out from there. The FANS (and the team for once!) just created a ton of new dedicated Canada supporters last night who WILL want to comeback. We're starting to get the flywheel spinning that one day will hopefully lead to an entire stadium as passionately read and white as three sections of BMO were last night. But its not gonna happen tomorrow - certainly not for a friendly - so let's just give up on the whole program and end the momentum that's only STARTING to grow around Canada.

Guys, listen to the people who were there: we're just as disappointed that it looked like 75% of the stadium was cheering for the other team but it's what was going on with the other 25% that was the real story and where the real difference from the bad old days was.

PROCESS!

Lots of spirit, chemistry and teamwork on the Canadian team - they all seem to get a long and this could help us go farther in the tourney

... for now. If things start going sour for the team in general or with certain key individuals in particular (with those individuals sitting on the bench), then will see how good the chemistry really is.

I haven't watched the recording of the match as yet (only the live broadcast), but Simpson is a key man on the attack and when he's not on the field it really shows. A big moment for Dunfield: you get the feeling watching him and listening to him that he would run wearing a fire in a gasoline suit to play for Canada.

Hi Guys, I am a newby to the website and like yourselves a true Canadian soccer fan.

I feel true fan base is more important than just filling stadiums. With the addition of TFC, Caps and now the Impact joining the MLS next year, the true fan base for Canada is only increasing. I have seen this in Vancouver this year. It will be great one day when all our Club supporters come together at one time and cheer on the National Team at a Stadium that has the best atmosphere. It will take some time but it is already evolving just as the improvement of Canadian players and coaches across Canada.

Canada is a much improved team over the past decade and can compete with any of the Concacaf teams let alone Greece, Ukraine, Belarus etc. Steven Hart brings a much better posessional style of play which allows Canada to be in the game at all times instead of chasing the game. After last night I am sure he will fine tune the team in preparation and have talks with those which did not perform as they should have.

Archived