Canada - Ecuador Game Thread [R]

Lord Bob

Jakovic likely to miss the Gold Cup with hamstring injury. Hope Straith or Edgar are close by.

That sucks, but to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with him in the short time he played

Amazing experience when we scored the tying goal, I brought two new people to a Canada match and they loved it and were buzzing leaving the stadium. But I also reminded them at half time thinking the game felt just like the Honduras match (we play well early, score, hold on until half and then get hit early) I told them at the half to prepare for disappointment and what do you know lol, but hey I honestly need to say for the first time at a Canada match I gave up hope that we would score the tying goal, it just seemed all too fitting. But then we won a free kick, I turned to see Borjan pumping up the crowd and next thing I know the back of the net is stretching, everyones jumping and Im climbing to stand on the back railing of 113... get in, better than sex.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome atmosphere tonight...I was in the front row of 113 so I made it into the CBC post-game pic of Dunfield celebrating with the fans. Can't wait for Detroit.

Wasn't that great? It was deafening after he scored and did his crowd leap, great goal! This was a good warm up for Detroit, we'll makes some noise there too!

Unreal tonight, Proud of all of you that came out to support tonight. Anyone *****ing about the amount of South Americans in Toronto tonight obviously wasnt there. What we lacked in numbers we made up for in passion, and you better believe our team noticed. What a Buzz

Just watching a recording of the game now, it was nice to see after the Dunfield goal that a fair number of the fans in Ecuador jerseys were on their feet and clapping, and I even saw one guy in an Ecuador jersey turn to some people with a Canadian flag beside him and start helping them pump it up and down. More performances like this from our Canucks will most certainly make believers out of the reluctant expats in Canada.

EDIT: after two more minutes of video, Johnson should've buried that shot.

Had a great experience of being a displaced Voyageur and watching this match with some Vancouver V's. Making my way through a crowded and rowdy Vancouver bar I was very relieved to see some other guys with my fashion sense in scarves.

Just a few quick comments - I thought the fan section was fantastic. I can see why the perception from within that red/white mosh pit would differ from the tv screen. While I'm disappointed about all the yellow, on a Stanley Cup finals night, I don't think you can complain too much. Besides, I think being an ORGANIZED group of fans really allows us to punch above our weight.

I felt the play was a little off, but mostly it didn't surprise me - we usually get better the longer we're in a tourney because we play so infrequently the guys have to be re-introduced to each other every match. Having said that, when was the last time we scored a beauty like the Dunfield cracker? I certainly can't remember. What impressed me even more was the second goal. 9 times out of 10, in the past we would've patiently (and politely) waited for the Ecuadorians to "be ready" before we did anything... because it fits with the Canadian mentality of "Fair Play". Noticing the opportunity and have the wherewithal to actually act on it?

Priceless.

Had a great experience of being a displaced Voyageur and watching this match with some Vancouver V's. Making my way through a crowded and rowdy Vancouver bar I was very relieved to see some other guys with my fashion sense in scarves.

Just a few quick comments - I thought the fan section was fantastic. I can see why the perception from within that red/white mosh pit would differ from the tv screen. While I'm disappointed about all the yellow, on a Stanley Cup finals night, I don't think you can complain too much. Besides, I think being an ORGANIZED group of fans really allows us to punch above our weight.

I felt the play was a little off, but mostly it didn't surprise me - we usually get better the longer we're in a tourney because we play so infrequently the guys have to be re-introduced to each other every match. Having said that, when was the last time we scored a beauty like the Dunfield cracker? I certainly can't remember. What impressed me even more was the second goal. 9 times out of 10, in the past we would've patiently (and politely) waited for the Ecuadorians to "be ready" before we did anything... because it fits with the Canadian mentality of "Fair Play". Noticing the opportunity and have the wherewithal to actually act on it?

Priceless.

There were a few sloppy moves out of our boys, which is to be expected given the briefness of the camp. On such short training this was an excellent game for us, and we now have a full week to practice before the Gold Cup begins.

Bring on the Yanks!

Good result for Canada but getting there was rough.

Quick thoughts:

-Canada gives away the ball way too much. They try to pass it back and then move forward but Ecuador had little problem forcing Canada into bad passes or winning the ball in a tackle. Its good to see ball possession but you have to be able to do something with it.

-Defense is being cut open too easily. Hope that more familiarity playing together will help this.

-So far, Simpson is our most consistently dangerous attacker. But we are lacking other consistent threats. Still looking for another winger to be effective on the right.

Nice to see Canada's opportunism on the 2nd goal but we were badly outplayed in the second half. As some have already said, the only way to really begin to change the fan support issue is to win games and qualify for the World Cup. Unfortunate, but true.

CSA game release:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1927

Some Hart quotes about the game:

“We tell the players to look for opportunities when you have free kicks, to take a quick free kick and take advantage of disorganization,” said Hart. “It is our right to take a quick free kick and we did.”

“What a goal,” said Hart. “We allowed him to come in, there was no pressure on the ball and clearly that was part of their tactic to bring in the player late and let him shoot for distance. It worked for them.”

“I don’t think we played very well,” said Hart. “Too many players didn’t want to accept the responsibility to keep the ball and do what was right and even though at times we played in spurts it was not good enough on the day.”

Quote from Hainault:

“It’s frustrating that it took sort of two goals to wake us up a bit,” said centreback André Hainault. “Even at times there’s a lot of things we could have done better while we were in possession to dictate that, but that’s something from which we have to learn because it happens too often. Going into a CONCACAF Gold Cup against teams like USA and Mexico, you give that ball away you’re not going to see it for a while. We have got to be better.”

A few thoughts:

* Hutchinson and Simpson are our best players now. I don't think it's really that close.

* I like what de Jong brings to the table, but it seems like he didn't always get back so well from his attacking adventures. To often McKenna or later Hainault was forced out wide to cover de Jong's man because Marcel was too far up the field.

* De Ro had a few moments but too often gave away the ball cheaply

* Conflicted about Johnson. Obviously there was the miss, and he'll always be a card risk with CONCACAF referees, but he is so tenacious defending and tracking back from midfield.

* I think the Jackson as lone striker experiment failed. He needs more of the ball, and that's not the way to get it to him. If he's up top, in must be in a two-striker formation. I like him wide right.

* Borjan is good. Maybe even the #1 at this point. Like Gerry mentioned, let's hope he plays at least one match at the GC so he is capped.

* I like what Dunfield brings. Doesn't dwell on the ball and makes the simple pass to players in space. But even moreso than Johnson, he is a liability with CONCACAF refs.

Unreal tonight, Proud of all of you that came out to support tonight. Anyone *****ing about the amount of South Americans in Toronto tonight obviously wasnt there. What we lacked in numbers we made up for in passion, and you better believe our team noticed. What a Buzz

I think you're missing the point. No one's accusing the Canadian fans that were present - on the contrary. We are just disappointed at the other potential millions of people living in the GTA that didn't came.

Great to hear the posts from the boys in the stadium - good to contrast with the boys from the Sportsnet booth.

It is clear that there seems to be too much of the usual editorializing going on with Gerry and Craig, which gave us some bias watching the game. For the record I did hear lots of chanting from the south side, and heard O Canada (twice). They indeed did a great job. But Craig and Gerry from the outset talked about "disappointing Canada crowd". Then when the Ecuadorians did cheer (two or three times, maybe), they commented on it. And then Craig talks about how disappointing it is as a player...blah blah...

Craig claiming that it wasn't a foul at the end was useless, because we didn't see a replay. It was like we just had to take him on his word. Strange.

I thought Borjan played really well, and exuded plenty of confidence. Craig needs to just stick to things he sees on the pitch. Johnson struggling. Atiba controlling well, and Simpson looking dangerous. I'd like Craig to go a little further, and ask questions - who's going to hold the ball up on a 4-5-1. Why DeJong was taking corners...why Borjan needed to get out on that corner kick goal etc. Who wasn't marking the man. Not easy for them, with basic replay technology, but still.

Gian-Luca - I appreciated your analysis, and nice to see that things were more positive in real life.

First half thoughts.

The line-up was good, the tactics were bright - but the players let Hart down by not maintaining possession. Ecuador clearly have the same defensive ethos as Barca - win it back, high up field, and quickly. Don't let Canada get to our Back 4 (which when we do, is dangerous!

1. Simpson is our best technical player, and potentially the fittest/most athletic.

2. De Ro did well - seems to have his team hat on.

3. Hutch started brightly but faded - Ecuador sorted him out or Canada stopped playing?

4. Canada stopped playing. After the goal they just kept "running." The thought processes just weren't there and Ecuador quite easily dominated possession.

5. Borjan is a crazy-good find! Thank goodness.

6. Dunfield did his job brightly. No overplaying. Knows that others in the team are the creators and sticks to it. Great first half and that goal was world class. Goal of the Year in my recollection.

7. We should have 3, and the score should probably be 3-2!

8. Jakovic/McKenna is our best pairing, De Jong is probably our best left back but can't say without seeing Kluka.

9. Right back is very much up for grabs. Ledgerwood is handy, but not overly technical. Peters is probably the better choice there. I understand he plays in 2nd half so I'll be watching for that.

This is near-to our best line-up. In a perfect world, Hoilett swaps in for De Ro, and JDG2 swaps in for Dunfield (moving Johnson into Dunfield's spot). Peters probably our best RB. GK spot is up for debate. Looking forward to seeing Hirsch again in GC for comparison.

Without the "perfect world" scenario, the only change to this line-up I make is maybe Peters or maybe Kluka at RB (probably Kluka long term), and maybe Gerba for De Ro and move Jackson wide right. Johnson in CM ahead of JDG and De Ro partnering Dunfield and Hutch.

Will watch 2nd half this afternoon.

GC teams should be nervous because we appear to be in similar form to the last GC again...but our game intelligence MUST improve!

Great to hear the posts from the boys in the stadium - good to contrast with the boys from the Sportsnet booth.

It is clear that there seems to be too much of the usual editorializing going on with Gerry and Craig, which gave us some bias watching the game. For the record I did hear lots of chanting from the south side, and heard O Canada (twice). They indeed did a great job. But Craig and Gerry from the outset talked about "disappointing Canada crowd". Then when the Ecuadorians did cheer (two or three times, maybe), they commented on it. And then Craig talks about how disappointing it is as a player...blah blah...

See I have no problem with them saying that, since its sort of a challenge to get more people out, but they also need to show our sections because otherwise it gives off the impression of "you can show up and cheer for Canada but you'll be the only person there and still be overpowered by the opposition fans."

Haven't bothered to read the whole thread so pardon if i'm repeating things. When the lineup was first announced i started to piece the formation and personnel together and liked what i saw, reminded me of the lineup someone posted a week ago (might have been Obinna?). Figured Johnson and Dunfield were paired in the middle to form a tough, tenacious central defensive mid pairing to protect the backline that would allow the 3 attacking mids to support the striker.

----------------------Borjan-------------------

Ledgerwood---Jakovic------McKenna---DeJong

---------------Johnson----Dunfield------------

DeRo--------------Hutchinson---------Simpson

--------------------Jackson--------------------

What we ended up seeing was Atiba partnered with Dunfield and his offensive talents semi-wasted by his defensive responsibilites. Will Johnson was slotted out wide right where I have rarely seen him have an impact with the NT and where he brings much less to the table for RSL than he does in the middle. DeRo of course is then playing behind Jackson - where he always does, where he's been a blackhole for this team so many times before. Anyways, thought the personnel could have been better utilized, but maybe i'm nitpicking...

Borjan - I like his shot stopping ability and his enthusiasm. I thought he could have come out to claim the corner on Ecuador's first goal. Hopefully a learning a experience - perhaps needs to be more assertive with a less than familiar backline - and not indicative of something else (hesitancy).

Backline - Ledgerwood was OK for the most part. Jakovic looked a little off, then the injury...De Jong was all over the place, real up and down kind of game so i'd like to see Kluks back in there for the US game. McKenna and Hainault are a little slow as a pairing, but maybe they can make up for it with smarts. Hainault is starting to impress me, he's really smartened up and tuned his game since moving to MLS from the Czech-wrestlemania league.

Mids- I like what Dunfield brings to the table, runs around, generally makes a pain of himself to the opponent and makes quick, simple passes. He's tentatively ahead of JDG for now. Johnson is much better suited to the defensive middle than out on the wings, doesn't do enough offensively for my liking and seems isolated and scared to take players on out there, more willing to go forward from the middle (that's what i noticed watching RSL). Atiba played well, one of our better players. Simpson is one of our few dangerous players, we lost a bit when he came out. DeRo looked decent for most of the game (missed chance aside), then he put his head down and went straight at 3 defenders in the 89th minute and reminded me of why he pisses me off sometimes.

Forwards - I like Simeon Jackson, thought maybe he could play an Ali Gerba-poacher role last night, but didn't work out. Probably should be in a 2 striker formation or else stick him out on the wing if we insist on the 4-2-3-1. Friend didn't do much. Ricketts is fast and he's a finisher, me likey. Maybe not the most technical player, but he's probably someone we should be taking a closer look at, maybe as an impact sub?

Craig claiming that it wasn't a foul at the end was useless, because we didn't see a replay. It was like we just had to take him on his word. Strange.

I thought Borjan played really well, and exuded plenty of confidence. Craig needs to just stick to things he sees on the pitch. Johnson struggling. Atiba controlling well, and Simpson looking dangerous. I'd like Craig to go a little further, and ask questions - who's going to hold the ball up on a 4-5-1. Why DeJong was taking corners...why Borjan needed to get out on that corner kick goal etc. Who wasn't marking the man. Not easy for them, with basic replay technology, but still.

Gian-Luca - I appreciated your analysis, and nice to see that things were more positive in real life.

Being at the match, I didn't hear what they had to say but I can tell you it was as loud and rowdy as I've ever seen our home support for a Canada game and I've seen many over the years! They may have a point about the numbers but the fans that were there cheering for Canada were nothing short of brilliant!

Noticed something a little strange after the match when players were swapping jerseys. One of the Ecuador players got his Canada shirt, and actually put it on, wearing it around the pitch with his teammates. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this before, usually they just carry it off the field.

Dobson kind of explains his remarks in this article, he does make some valid points:http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/06/02/dobson_canada_ecuador/

One more thing to add about being at the match, it was impressive how many of the Ecuador fans stopped us after to shake hands and remark how Canada played quite well! Many were actually local Toronto fans and I asked every one of them if they would wear the Red and White if our opponent was anyone other than Ecuador and for what it's worth they all said yes!

Hey folks. Really enjoyed the game last night. It was a terrific night out at BMO.

A few thoughts:

1 - I actually thought that the Ecuadorian crowd was a pretty fun-loving and respectful bunch -- even after Canada scored the opener. Kudos to them.

2 - It kills me how TFC can attract larger crowds than the national team. This is clearly a higher caliber of football and last night's game was (except for some second half lulls), quite entertaining.

3 - Major kudos to the loud minority of Vees and Canadian fans. The chants and signing added much to the experience.

4 - Man, Atiba is a terrific player to watch. He's worth the price of a ticket alone. He adds such a calm/graceful touch to his tackles and distribution (whats with all the nifty side foot passes), he makes it look easy out there.

5 - Milan was a wonderful surprise. He looked more comfortable than I expected.

6 - Simpson's one-on-one move, leading up to Dunfield's goal was a highlight in my mind. Very nice.

7 - Was it just me or was deRosario a bit absent last night? After his wonderful performance against Greece, I was looking forward to more from him (playing in the hole) but never really noticed anything.

8 - Wish we could avoid those second half mental/tiring lapses. These continue to be our downfall. Too bad, since our first half was such a joy to watch.

9 - Congrats on fighting to the end. We'll need to keep scraping for goals like that during WC qualifying.

Anxious for the Gold Cup. Cheers!

Archived