Canada - Ecuador Game Thread [R]

Lord Bob

Not sure Bourgault is the answer. He doesn't seem to be skilled enough to excel at this level. Doesn't Johnson usually play as holding mid for RSL? I could see him being a sub for Dunfield, and Issey taking over the wide midfield role.

Johnson started today. He's already a starter. Anyone is better than JDG right now in that role.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Empire Field isn't grass...I could be wrong, but I don't think it is. Besides, could you really see Vancouver ditching the Canucks tonight?

I don't think soccer support in this country is any stronger than it is in the main cities where the CMNT play. Again, how many Newfoundlanders will make the trek out to see Canada play in a "exhibition" match vs a not that big of a deal side? I know many people live off the match where Canada qualified for the World Cup in NFLD, but that game was extremely relevant in a time where TV wasn't what it is today...

Haha I meant using Empire Field in general for a possible location to host friendlies; I realize that tonight wouldn't have been a good time to have a friendly there given the Canucks are in the SCF. And yeah i'm pretty sure it's not grass, which is why I was wondering if we absolutely HAD to play friendlies on grass or not cause if not, it opens up a lot of other possibilities. As for soccer support outside of the big cities, I think if the game was promoted properly (I know, fat chance with the CSA) then it could succeed since these smaller towns rarely if ever get to see a MNT game live so it'd be more of an "event" and I think it'd draw a decent enough crowd. I mean let's be honest, BMO wasn't sold out tonight so it's not like the CSA would be losing much if they had the game in a smaller venue anyway.

In a quick pan, I saw a guy who looked suspiciously like Adam Straith in the covered area with the rest of the squad. Am I imagining things?

Great play by Simpson tonight and great to have been a V long enough o recognise so many of the boisterous fans cheering for Canada in TO. Good on you, laddies!

First time poster on the board, and a first time supporter at a Canadian national game.

Just want to say that I had an absolute blast at the game tonight, as the Voyageurs and the entire Canadian sections were bringing their A-game.

The singing, the chanting, the national anthem repeated on many an occasion, it was epic tonight.

The place went bonkers when that penalty kick went in, and didn't stop until WELL after the players saluted us after the game.

It may not have been a majority Canada supporter crowd, but it certainly was a step in the right direction. There is something to build on, something to expand upon.

As a first timer, I got hooked, and will definitely be back!

There was no penalty kick, it was a quickly taken free kick.

Empire Field isn't grass...I could be wrong, but I don't think it is. Besides, could you really see Vancouver ditching the Canucks tonight?

I don't think soccer support in this country is any stronger than it is in the main cities where the CMNT play. Again, how many Newfoundlanders will make the trek out to see Canada play in a "exhibition" match vs a not that big of a deal side? I know many people live off the match where Canada qualified for the World Cup in NFLD, but that game was extremely relevant in a time where TV wasn't what it is today...

It isn't grass and it's the most unevenly, overmarbled pitch in North America. With the pools of black rubber pellets, you could start an advertising business on the pitch.

Just got back from the game. The best night out to be a nats supporter at BMO field by a long way - they've tied before here but usually in frustrating circumstances, never on a last minute comeback. Even before the tying goal I was pretty happy with the quality of our play - the draw was fully deserved and a fair result. I'm still on a high from that tying goal - the Canadian crown absolutely erupted at the end and Sportsnet's crap tv coverage didn't do justice to either the reaction of the Canadians in the non-supporters sections (where I was sitting - a whole bunch of us rushed to the first row in celebration) and the goal itself. First thing I did was to re-watch the tying goal to see who it was that made the smart decision to take the free kick quickly as it happened so fast I didn't see who it was. I'm still not sure as I should have guessed that Sportsnet's camera work would be asleep on the play (or rather, the director back in the booth), but it looked like De Guzman. Craig Forrest by the way is 100% wrong to say that it wasn't a foul - I had a much better angle and view and was much closer to the play than he was, it was 100% a free kick, though he probably couldn't see it as well from way up in the booth from his angle.

A couple of observations sitting 13 rows back of the Canadian bench:

- I had heard that the entire Canadian team had already arrived but I couldn't spot Issey anywhere, while Ali Gerba seemed to arrive at the "camp" mid-way through the 2nd half as I spotted him arriving and shaking hands & high-fiving everyone (including Hart) as though he hadn't seen any of them for months

- Hirshfeld was on the bench, but Haidar was the official back-up

- Lots of Ecuadoran support in front of me but my area also had a lot of Canadian support made up partly of friends & family of Hutchinson and Borjan - in fact there was a large group of what looked to be fans of a Serbian background chanting something in Serbian in support of Borjan everytime he made a save. I'm not sure what it was they were saying as I don't speak the language but it sounded like "Sheki!!!" - anyone out there able to shed light on this? Anyway, it was good to see.

- Lots of spirit, chemistry and teamwork on the Canadian team - they all seem to get a long and this could help us go farther in the tourney

- Jakovic's knee was tightly wrapped but he was not taken to the dressing room but just stayed on the bench, so hopefully the injury is not too bad. I think we lose something when we don't have him in the back.

And for the people feeling bad for the players because of the number of Ecuador supporters in the crowd - don't. Yes I want more Canadian support but they didn't seem bothered in the slighted and in fact they absolutely loved and acknowledged the support they did get and were taking bows to the Canadian fans at the end (where it was much easier to see how many there were because the Ecuadoran supporters were all sitting and the Canadian fans were all standing up and cheering).

I've seen a few Canada games live over the past 30 years and this was certainly one of the most enjoyable and entertaining. It was my son's first game (he's 10), and he was in tears of happiness as we got the last gasp tie. Sure we were way outnumbered in the stadium, but that's the way it's always been in TO, what matters is the spirit of the Canadian fans who were there and tonight it was great (it usually is unless we're in despair).

That being said, from watching it live I was very concerned tonight about the dreadful giveaways from our defense on little pressure. I was surprised we weren't punished for it.

And for the people feeling bad for the players because of the number of Ecuador supporters in the crowd - don't. Yes I want more Canadian support but they didn't seem bothered in the slighted and in fact they absolutely loved and acknowledged the support they did get and were taking bows to the Canadian fans at the end (where it was much easier to see how many there were because the Ecuadoran supporters were all sitting and the Canadian fans were all standing up and cheering).

I didn't feel like the Ecuadorian supporters were all that passionate. They seemed scattered throughout, maybe that's the TV effect. Canada's support looked way more organized and passionate.

Ok people stop blaming Ecuadorians for showing up and supporting their team of heritage. Can you really blame them?

Considering how Canada we promote heritage, our roots and traditions unlike the USA melting pot, considering how many times the visiting teams have qualified for a World Cup compared to Canada, considering how the sport of football are these countries national pass time, considering the very low publicity the media has for our national team especially when the team plays at home, considering Toronto being the most populous city in our country we can't have more Canadian support, in my opinion, there's nothing we should whine about cause this is how it is in our country and it will remain this way until the national team starts getting results and winning games and qualifying for World Cups.

Also if you want to blame someone, why not blame the Canadians that never showed up? There were still plenty of empty seats in the stadium.

I didn't feel like the Ecuadorian supporters were all that passionate. They seemed scattered throughout, maybe that's the TV effect. Canada's support looked way more organized and passionate.

Well, they weren't as organized as the Peruvians and especially the Chileans were in the past, and except after they scored, they weren't as loud. Most of them in my area were quite nice enough though (only one guy was a dick-head and I was happy to see his disappointed face after the game) and nobody I heard booed the Canadian national anthem, which is a huge step up from some other away support I could mention......

But really, the story of the game was what happened on the field. Glancing through the thread I am surprised at how negative a lot of the comments on here during the game were - it's like many saw a different game on tv than I did in the stands (although fair enough, Sportsnet's coverage can do that to a game!)

I think our supporters chants pretty much drowned them. I certainly saw a sea of yellow from where I was sitting but the voice of red and white was DEAFENING... Way to go V's!!!

Show~me~ your~passport!!! man, that cracks me up so bad :)

I was sitting in a row in front of Milan Borjan's friends and family. It was awesome, his little brother, who can't be older than 9 was wearing a shirt with Milan on it and the word "Brother" on the back. The kid was a ball of energy throughout the game as well as the rest of his friends and family who were all very friendly.

A fantastic experience today. the section I was in was fully pro Canada. Had a great time.

I think our supporters chants pretty much drowned them. From where I was sitting (Section 113), there was certainly a sea of yellow but the voice of red and white was DEAFENING... Way to go V's!!!

Show~me~ your~passport!!! man, that cracks me up so bad :)

So from the sounds of it, we drew some new folks out to the CMNT matches. They had a good time.

That's something we can build upon.

Instead of complaining about the lack of home numbers, we need to look at positives like the example above and build on that. That's the only way we're going to get the numbers out for WCQ that we need.

Ok people stop blaming Ecuadorians for showing up and supporting their team of heritage. Can you really blame them?

Considering how Canada we promote heritage, our roots and traditions unlike the USA melting pot, considering how many times the visiting teams have qualified for a World Cup compared to Canada, considering how the sport of football are these countries national pass time, considering the very low publicity the media has for our national team especially when the team plays at home, considering Toronto being the most populous city in our country we can't have more Canadian support, in my opinion, there's nothing we should whine about cause this is how it is in our country and it will remain this way until the national team starts getting results and winning games and qualifying for World Cups.

Also if you want to blame someone, why not blame the Canadians that never showed up? There were still plenty of empty seats in the stadium.

I think that's who people are blaming. In a city the size of Toronto it's embarrassing to see those empty seats on TV. Fill them with red shirts and the Ecuadorian presence would have seemed much less significant. I think all the posters here have to tip their hats to the CMT supporters who were present for their efforts - imagine a stadium filled with them. By the way, if the GTA population only supports winners how do you explain the Leafs, TFC, Raptors, Blue Jays? (yes I know that BJ's and Raptor's numbers have fallen off)

I can't get to all this happiness around here. The only thing that matters at home is the win. If this friendly was played in Ecuador, they would have won, I'm sure of it, there's no need to elaborate on that point. And BTW, when Ecuador was leading 2 -1, I had memories from that WCQ match against Honduras in Montreal, back in 2008. The draw against Jamaica at BMO and the loss against Honduras at Montreal is what prevented us to advance further in the competition.

Great game, really enjoyed it. Unfortunately my PVR crapped out on me the first 7minutes of the game........

Can anyone shed some light as to the amount it costs to host a Friendly in Canada? I guess renting(and security, etc) BMO compared to Swanny also plays in the cost. I imagine it's about 50-60k and portion of tickets revenue.......? it it accurate you think?

50-60k to fly Both Teams IN and to cover the insurance(unless clubs cover that?!), plus rental and security?

would be nice to have some "game" sponsor giving out RED T-Shirts to everyone with CANADA on it and their LOGO maybe on the back or something..........because that yellow hurt my eyes today.

I can't get to all this happiness around here. The only thing that matters at home is the win. If this friendly was played in Ecuador, they would have won, I'm sure of it, there's no need to elaborate on that point. And BTW, when Ecuador was leading 2 -1, I had memories from that WCQ match against Honduras in Montreal, back in 2008. The draw against Jamaica at BMO and the loss against Honduras at Montreal is what prevented us to advance further in the competition.

You're telling me, I have such bad memories of the honduras match in Montreal I started a "can you hear Honduras sing" chant tonight, not even close with Ecuador. Not a bad result in the end though

Just back from the game! I don't know how it sounded on TV but the Supporters Section was awesome! We sang all the way through even after the 2 quick goals against and when the equaliser went in, the place went nuts! I could barely hear any Ecuador support except when they scored and we drowned them out on several occasions! There's a ways to go but I think the home support is getting better and better and if you weren't there you have no clue how good it actually was!

Archived