Canada - Ecuador Game Thread [R]

Lord Bob

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were much better out there today.

Borjan was alright, didn't have much hope on the 2nd one. 1st one I thought he needed to be better.

2nd goal...I blame JDG, he was jogging his lacksadasial ass back and didn't appropriately challenge the goalscorer. It's as simple as that. Subbing Dunfield out was a game changer if you ask me. Dunfield had the grit and vision required to play his position. JDG looked like a lazy ass out there.

We should have won.

And my boy Ricketts got a goal!

Anyway, we should have called JBB instead of JDG.

I couldn't believe it when I saw that myself. JDG looked like his job was to ensure no one was impeding the Ecuadorians path to shoot. So poor it is unreal.

Not sure why you guys are saying that Borjan was alright. I think he did all he could do.

The first goal was partly his fault but you can also argue that somebody should have marked Arroyo or gotten in front of him to head it clear. The second goal was just as great a strike as Dunfield's. Nothing either keeper could do except tip their hat to the goal scorer in both cases.

If you want to find fault, I think it would be his continual inclination to try to hoof the ball with full power when he had the wind behind him.

Surprised by some of the negativity in this thread. To be honest, I didn't think we were that bad. I thought Dunfield, Hutch, and Simpson were solid out there. Some decent passing in the mid and we were able to retain possession for good spells and create some great chances. Now, I agree it wasn't all good: the finishing was disappointing sure (Johnson, DeRo) and the defense was woeful at times (our marking on their first goal was atrocious and that play by Jakovic was just embarassing) but let's not forget that Ecuador are decent opposition who are better than us technically and have had more time together. I think De Jong just needs more time with the team to settle in a bit as it's clear he has some quality and was maybe just trying to force things a bit too much today. It'd be nice to slot in Klukowski somehow though, maybe at CB?

Finally, about the crowd, everything's been said. Disappointing, frustrating, embarassing... I feel for the players. Maybe it's high-time we started exploring options outside of Toronto and Montreal for friendlies?

DeGuz losing his spot in the side ain't going to help us bring his brother in. But he seemed indifferent tonight. And this is his home pitch too.

I'm sorry, we're not going to play JDG so we can get JDG2 if JDG isn't good enough. JDG2 isn't playing for us as it is. Might as well not play JDG. Not worth the losses. Dunfield was much better. Give Bourgault the call up in JDG's place. He's just not the right character to have out there. Doesn't have his head in the game at all.

he didn't have medical clearance from the impact, but tweeted that he was watching the game.

This sounds very weird! Why wouldn't they clear him to play? When the national team played Biellorussia, the impact told Gerba that if he would go, they wouldn't play him when he got back. They threatened him like they have done in the past to other players. The staff with the national team has been turned down by NDS many times before with call-ups.

Thats two games out of three against South American opposition that we have tied it up in stoppage time. That has to be one of the most satisfying endings to a Canada game I have seen since the 2000 GC. The boys definatley went to sleep for a long period, however those fu*& bit#h diving Ecuadorians got what they deserved. So long as Canada picks it up in the Gold cup, all is forgiven. I just wish Hart would stop playing this 4-5-1 crap. I would prefer a 4-4-2 or a straight 4-3-3 with the wing forwards pushed up more. We need to be able to hold the ball up up front more to allow more players to get into the attack.

As for the debate about the turnout for home games, what can we do but push on until we get those pro Canadian crowds out regularily? Are we not supossed to play home games? That would be the worst thing we could do. I want to see a large, pro canadian crowd as much as any of us, but Im realistic. Atleast we have the supporters groups to back up the voyageurs now days. We didnt have that 15 yeas ago. We have to play more friendlies at home to build exposure. And yes, lets try some other venues around the country.

Griz - we should have organized to watch the game together in Montreal tonight. Shall we arrange for the USA game - On St.Laurent?

Seriously you have to sent Griz to Detroit... take up a collection this saturday at the Impact game.

Thats two games out of three against South American opposition that we have tied it up in stoppage time. That has to be one of the most satisfying endings to a Canada game I have seen since the 2000 GC. The boys definatley went to sleep for a long period, however those fu*& bit#h diving Ecuadorians got what they deserved. So long as Canada picks it up in the Gold cup, all is forgiven. I just wish Hart would stop playing this 4-5-1 crap. I would prefer a 4-4-2 or a straight 4-3-3 with the wing forwards pushed up more. We need to be able to hold the ball up up front more to let allow more players to get into the attack.

As for the debate about the turnout for home games, what can we do but push on until we get those pro Canadian crowds out regularily? Are we not supossed to play home games? That would be the worst thing we could do. I want to see a large, pro canadian crowd as much as any of us, but Im realistic. Atleast we have the supporters groups to back up the voyageurs now days. We didnt have that 15 yeas ago. We have to play more friendlies at home to build exposure. And yes, lets try some other venues around the country.

Moncton, St John's

Thats two games out of three against South American opposition that we have tied it up in stoppage time. That has to be one of the most satisfying endings to a Canada game I have seen since the 2000 GC. The boys definatley went to sleep for a long period, however those fu*& bit#h diving Ecuadorians got what they deserved. So long as Canada picks it up in the Gold cup, all is forgiven. I just wish Hart would stop playing this 4-5-1 crap. I would prefer a 4-4-2 or a straight 4-3-3 with the wing forwards pushed up more. We need to be able to hold the ball up up front more to let allow more players to get into the attack.

Choose countries that have no immigrants in Canada. For example. Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Thailand, Malaysia, Botswana, Swaziland, Madagascar, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Russia (not in Winnipeg), and probably a few others.

This sounds very weird! Why wouldn't they clear him to play? When the national team played Biellorussia, the impact told Gerba that if he would go, they wouldn't play him when he got back. They threatened him like they have done in the past to other players. The staff with the national team has been turned down by NDS many times before with call-ups.

??? Are you serious with those allegations?

Too bad they didn,t call OO, I think he would do a better job than Rob out there. But TBH, I'm not sure he was that bad. He was OK.

Surprised by some of the negativity in this thread. To be honest, I didn't think we were that bad. I thought Dunfield, Hutch, and Simpson were solid out there. Some decent passing in the mid and we were able to retain possession for good spells and create some great chances. Now, I agree it wasn't all good: the finishing was disappointing sure (Johnson, DeRo) and the defense was woeful at times (our marking on their first goal was atrocious and that play by Jakovic was just embarassing) but let's not forget that Ecuador are decent opposition who are better than us technically and have had more time together. I think De Jong just needs more time with the team to settle in a bit as it's clear he has some quality and was maybe just trying to force things a bit too much today. It'd be nice to slot in Klukowski somehow though, maybe at CB?

Finally, about the crowd, everything's been said. Disappointing, frustrating, embarassing... I feel for the players. Maybe it's high-time we started exploring options outside of Toronto and Montreal for friendlies?

Me too. I just got home from the match and I'm utterly annoyed at the majority of responses.

We played hard, we wanted to win and the boys did very well. There were times where we simply owned the ball, we moved it around the back line to the mid and back again until the time was right, no ****ing chance Ecuador was going to stop us, it was impressive at times. I am disapointted Johnson didn't do better on that finish, but it is what it is. Harping on the DeRo chance is a bit unfair, he made an effort that was on goal and the keeper was ready, so be it.

For those in attendance, we may have been outnumbered, but boy were we the vocal ones. Outside of when Ecuador scored, they were ****ing silent. We were in constant song and cheer and it was clear the players were in full appreciation of our efforts. We live in a very multicultural society that doesn't force nationalism on our immigrants, what the **** do you guys expect? When our team gets the results we're capable of, the tides will change, that's how it is. Until then, we do what we can. I'm very happy with the Canada supporters tonight and how they gave it their all from kick off till after the match.

Lay off the negatives tonight, the boys played hard from start to finish, as did the fans. Be ****ing proud and stop your god damn whining.

??? Are you serious with those allegations?

Of course i am... i know many players present and past and the club has done many times before. Gerba 2 months ago was the latest. They did it with Ribeiro in Jan 2009 for a camp in florida. They told him straight"you go and you don't play anymore". Ribeiro went and was later released(end of 2008) by the club and found himself in SanJose the year after. They have done it with others as well. The MNT staff knows this very well with these idiots.

Me too. I just got home from the match and I'm utterly annoyed at the majority of responses.

We played hard, we wanted to win and the boys did very well. There were times where we simply owned the ball, we moved it around the back line to the mid and back again until the time was right, no ****ing chance Ecuador was going to stop us, it was impressive at times. I am disapointted Johnson didn't do better on that finish, but it is what it is. Harping on the DeRo chance is a bit unfair, he made an effort that was on goal and the keeper was ready, so be it.

For those in attendance, we may have been outnumbered, but boy were we the vocal ones. Outside of when Ecuador scored, they were ****ing silent. We were in constant song and cheer and it was clear the players were in full appreciation of our efforts. We live in a very multicultural society that doesn't force nationalism on our immigrants, what the **** do you guys expect? When our team gets the results we're capable of, the tides will change, that's how it is. Until then, we do what we can. I'm very happy with the Canada supporters tonight and how they gave it their all from kick off till after the match.

Lay off the negatives tonight, the boys played hard from start to finish, as did the fans. Be ****ing proud and stop your god damn whining.

Look, I'm proud we got the draw too. But we should have won. A certain sub for Terry Dunfield was not good enough to be with the CMNT. We need to start looking at Bourgault.

Funny people here bashing Toronto for away support for FRIENDLY game.

Look at the last time Canada played a competitive game in Toronto? They had a huge crowd support over Jamaica (there's way more Jamaicans in GTA than Ecuadorans)

Anyway, backline looks slow, but hopefully that improves with spending time together in the camp. Midfield looks good, but I hope Will Johnson and JDG isn't going to start for Canada. DeRo looked okay, but I hope doesn't hold on the ball too much though (kills the flow and he ends losing the ball). Forward situation doesn't look good. Jackson should play as a winger and Friend doesn't fit into system Hart is trying to establish. If Ali Gerba is still available then I will give him a look.

Overall, not a bad game for a team that just arrive and haven't spent much time together.

Choose countries that have no immigrants in Canada. For example. Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Thailand, Malaysia, Botswana, Swaziland, Madagascar, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Russia (not in Winnipeg), and probably a few others.

There's plenty of Russians in Toronto. lol

Archived