Support Local Soccer video is out!

Admin

Honestly, I don't know what you guys were thinking... Volunteering your time, resources, initiative and passion for such a cause. You're not even paid professionals! The lack of females is insulting to humanity, and this beautiful country. Don't even get me started on mentioning a Canadian soccer club that is from the same city where this was filmed. Revolting! Absolutely worthless video! How dare you try and drum up support for our NT and Canadian soccer clubs... Fools! Get it right next time for pete's sake...

:)

Don't forget the Red Sox hat; wearing the merchandise of a foreign baseball team makes supporting the Canadian national team utterly impossible.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good video with a moving message. It really translated what Voyageurs have felt for years (or decades).

For the critics, your suggestions are warranted. Perhaps the next video will have ALL WOMEN. Perhaps in the way Sepp Blatter wanted: girls in skimpier outfits, hair flowing with the fake breeze, etc ........ (sarcasm) ;-) Go Canada ... why the f*ck not?

They all say the same thing, and in fact no one advances any reason to support the local game, they only talk about TFC. Makes no sense. Go to a CSL match should count, go to a women's match, a PDL, university soccer. All of that is local soccer, and if people go out to see those that has to count too. But no, only TFC. So its an ad for an MLSE product, not a promotion for local soccer at all.

I must have missed all that TFC talk amid the numerous mentions of supporting Canada.

I didn't see an overly TFC slant, and what I did see is understandable given the locale and the voices chosen. It doesn't bother me that much.

For those who are slamming the members who are voicing criticism, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen! We understand that this is a volunteer effort. We know you had to choose from those who showed up. We are noticing details that perhaps slipped your notice when you made the video (the hat) or that you couldn't redress given who actually showed up and talked (the women). Fine! People will understand if you address the objection, but to take it as an attack and go on the counter is not productive.

I think that on the whole it is a good video and a great idea, and the next instalment I'm sure will raise the bar even further. But don't imagine for a second that you're immune to criticism, and don't take it personally when the next instalment also produces commentary that isn't all rosy.

Keep up the good work!

I didn't see an overly TFC slant, and what I did see is understandable given the locale and the voices chosen. It doesn't bother me that much.

For those who are slamming the members who are voicing criticism, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen! We understand that this is a volunteer effort. We know you had to choose from those who showed up. We are noticing details that perhaps slipped your notice when you made the video (the hat) or that you couldn't redress given who actually showed up and talked (the women). Fine! People will understand if you address the objection, but to take it as an attack and go on the counter is not productive.

I think that on the whole it is a good video and a great idea, and the next instalment I'm sure will raise the bar even further. But don't imagine for a second that you're immune to criticism, and don't take it personally when the next instalment also produces commentary that isn't all rosy.

Keep up the good work!

I asked him to take the hat off, he wouldn't. We were dragging any women that showed up in front of the camera and literally begging those that wouldn't to say something.

Would you like me to forward you the messages telling us we are bunch of whores? No brain idiots? Sellouts? Don't care about women's soccer and are typical blah blah blah...

That is not criticism.

UT could be really helpful. He is a smart guy with lots of experience that would be useful to us, but instead just tears **** apart. He would probably write fantastic articles, ect....

I am not complaining about criticism, that is useful.

I think the video is amazing. The message wavers a bit, and the hat does kill me... but, overall it's a pretty moving piece with famous faces who we all attribute to the support system for our national team as we watch the various networks who are finally giving the game some screen time. There are negatives and it's fine to voice them, but, wow it seems that a lot of people are jaded because /they/ weren't the ones who got the attention for having made a concerted effort to drum up support for this game, and the National teams in general.

We all know there is a group of people who will never ever ever support this game, and it hurts that they're given ammo (Red Sox hat, ads for other sports which they feel denotes superiority, and a variety of other hackish things to grab hold of), but, the bottom line is that WE're trying. Even the people who post moronic comments on our nations blogs are helping to spread the word that our National Program exists, and is getting better.

Cheers to all involved. TFC fans or no.

There are two ways to criticize: constructively and destructively.

Your note was good in that you noticed that it was missing a female presence but it was put in a lighthearted manner. On the other hand, posting that it is a "terrible video" and "unconvincing" is a little inflammatory and I can understand socceronly being a little sensitive about that.

"That was a good first stab at things but maybe for next time try X, Y and Z..." not only gets your point across but advances the discussion with actual advice.

But I'm like jonovision, I had no inkling that this could be controversial, particularly here.

You've mentioned Vancouver and Montreal as the next steps in the video's destinations. Is Edmonton going to be included? I'm basing this on the fact that FCE is now in existence, and assuming that Vancouver and Montreal have been chosen as well due to having pro clubs.

And again, it's worth mentioning the video, whether it contained any women or not, got a round of applause in the stands when it was shown last night and I'm not talking about applause from the supporter's groups. I hope it's shown again on Saturday and at a time when more people are in the stands

You've mentioned Vancouver and Montreal as the next steps in the video's destinations. Is Edmonton going to be included? I'm basing this on the fact that FCE is now in existence, and assuming that Vancouver and Montreal have been chosen as well due to having pro clubs.

Sure. None of this is being done to exclude anyone.

I just threw out those because I know will be at both soon and have resources in each.

I asked him to take the hat off, he wouldn't.

Duh. His bad, not yours, then. That's kinda dopey, if you ask me. Would he have insisted on keeping it on if it were a Man U hat?

We were dragging any women that showed up in front of the camera and literally begging those that wouldn't to say something.

Fair enough. I'm guessing that next time we'll get some more volunteers.

Would you like me to forward you the messages telling us we are bunch of whores? No brain idiots? Sellouts? Don't care about women's soccer and are typical blah blah blah...

That is not criticism.

Nah, that is just venting. It reflects on the writer more than the reader, you can safely ignore them. Your stock answers should be the first paragraph (plus your "we're doing it in other cities too" bit), and leave it at that.

You gain nothing by letting them get under your skin.

No female voices? They have to show up. Did you spend time contacting players? No, we did. They didn't show up. Sports guys did.

Did you see the raw footage to make selections from? No.

English voices? Is it really any surprise that the useable people best voices were professionals?

Ad for TFC? It's for ****ING SOUTHERN ONTARIO. Its shown in the stadium at BMO to get people out to Canada games.

People aren't convincing? What are they supposed to do slit their wrists on camera or have a nervous breakdown?

We are going to do this in Montreal and Vancouver. City specific versions and a larger documentary version. Should have taken the time to explain that in a 3 minute spot made by volunteers with only one day of time to shoot?

It's only introduced with TFC for a guy who immigrated to Canada and found the national team. So pull the fcking stick out of your ass.

If you are not prepared for what being in a public forum is about, then don't go public.

Since when is the mere fact of "effort" supposed to shut up opinion? That is the attitude of lazy grade 5ers.

And deal with it, the video is sexist and your reaction to the criticism is equally sexist. If you have a problem with the fact that women make up half of society and play 30% of Canadian soccer or more, then deal with that too.

The video is totally unconvincing. It only exists to make those making it feel good. Like wearing a cool hat.

PS. You're rather rude and not overly literate.

PSS. I have supported local soccer since maybe 1972, and still do, in a big way, from kids and amateur and women and semi-pro all the way up to the Champions League and MLS. And you are a f-cking embarrassing kid.

There are two ways to criticize: constructively and destructively.

Your note was good in that you noticed that it was missing a female presence but it was put in a lighthearted manner. On the other hand, posting that it is a "terrible video" and "unconvincing" is a little inflammatory and I can understand socceronly being a little sensitive about that.

"That was a good first stab at things but maybe for next time try X, Y and Z..." not only gets your point across but advances the discussion with actual advice.

But I'm like jonovision, I had no inkling that this could be controversial, particularly here.

"Unconvincing" is not an inflammatory word. Except for those in North Korea. You and others have a serious problem with democracy. And give soccer a bad name.

Look, plenty of people praise the video for all the wrong reasons, and you do not correct them. People completely misunderstand it and applaud it, and you say nothing. Idiots like it, and you are happy. So since you are not going to tell them where they are going wrong, do the same with those who are not nominating it for the world advertising awards.

"Unconvincing", by the way, is my way of saying you are not going to convince absolutely anyone with that except those already convinced. Who applaud as a way of patting themselves on the back.

Edit: Anyone thinks the week the Stanley Cup finals start and the week of the Champions League is the time to start harrassing people who do not like the local game or do not care to support it, is pretty clueless.

Yeah!!! The vintage Jefferery S. is back and not taking his meds and this forum may get exciting again just like old times!

It's Jeffrey, learn to write (and where are those snide smileys when you need them?). Can't fault you though for getting the shakes when you type my former forum name, has that effect on folks. Though clearly the one who can't control his fingers on the keyboard is usually the one needing prescription drugs.

I don't come on here for a number of reasons. First, because it has become hopelessly boring, and second, the site itself is ugly as sin. And maybe because I am busy as hell. Also: few people are unintimidated enough to actually talk about things.

I seriously doubt even a third of the TFC fans in that video ever get out to anything really local, which TFC is not. Local is CSL, PDL, university. Women. Kids that are not your own. Why don't YOU GUYS support local soccer and stop being a such hypocritical prats.

If you are not prepared for what being in a public forum is about, then don't go public.

Since when is the mere fact of "effort" supposed to shut up opinion? That is the attitude of lazy grade 5ers.

And deal with it, the video is sexist and your reaction to the criticism is equally sexist. If you have a problem with the fact that women make up half of society and play 30% of Canadian soccer or more, then deal with that too.

The video is totally unconvincing. It only exists to make those making it feel good. Like wearing a cool hat.

PS. You're rather rude and not overly literate.

PSS. I have supported local soccer since maybe 1972, and still do, in a big way, from kids and amateur and women and semi-pro all the way up to the Champions League and MLS. And you are a f-cking embarrassing kid.

I am rude to reactions that are so over the top they are laughable.

We are sexist now? Can you dig any deeper?

Yes you support local soccer. The video isn't for you.

If you can provide ways to improve it that would make the message more valuable, and in a way that is possible, please do. But don't post **** in a manner that is totally hostile. Done with that crap.

I have truly thought for a long time now you could really contribute, but I am not sure you can actually do anything else. If you can prove it.

It's Jeffrey, learn to write (and where are those snide smileys when you need them?). Can't fault you though for getting the shakes when you type my former forum name, has that effect on folks. Though clearly the one who can't control his fingers on the keyboard is usually the one needing prescription drugs.

I don't come on here for a number of reasons. First, because it has become hopelessly boring, and second, the site itself is ugly as sin. And maybe because I am busy as hell. Also: few people are unintimidated enough to actually talk about things.

I seriously doubt even a third of the TFC fans in that video ever get out to anything really local, which TFC is not. Local is CSL, PDL, university. Women. Kids that are not your own. Why don't YOU GUYS support local soccer and stop being a such hypocritical prats.

I don't know how TFC is not local... but to bring this back to non reactionary **** on my part... those things are actually happening here.

In fact one of the things that made the video difficult to shoot was the SG's had organized a night at the CSL game at Lamport.

TFC Supporters groups regularly go to CSL games, make banners for the academy and organized and went to the women's game last year.

I dont see how this video is sexiest, just because no females were featured in a 3 minute clip does not make it sexiest, just my opinion

Now back to the topic

Great video and I cannot wait to see the longer version

cheers

I was actually going to write "..in the non-stalking sense" but that would have made it weirder.

If you follow kid's soccer and are involved in a competitive club you watch kids play, other teams that may be rivals, or teams that may have players you could be interested in. And if you are a die-hard fan you may go to see U-15s or u-17s of pro sides to see the future stars at a young age.

I went to see the older kids playing in my kid's club, esp because the u-17s and u-15s were fighting to win their respective leagues.

I don't know how TFC is not local... but to bring this back to non reactionary **** on my part... those things are actually happening here.

In fact one of the things that made the video difficult to shoot was the SG's had organized a night at the CSL game at Lamport.

TFC Supporters groups regularly go to CSL games, make banners for the academy and organized and went to the women's game last year.

That isn't good enough though. Clearly we need start burning bras too.

I was actually going to write "..in the non-stalking sense" but that would have made it weirder.

If you follow kid's soccer and are involved in a competitive club you watch kids play, other teams that may be rivals, or teams that may have players you could be interested in. And if you are a die-hard fan you may go to see U-15s or u-17s of pro sides to see the future stars at a young age.

I went to see the older kids playing in my kid's club, esp because the u-17s and u-15s were fighting to win their respective leagues.

That is awesome.

Think about how a video would be/should be done in Vancouver. Improve on this one.

Not sure when it will happen, it would obviously involve the southsiders, key media and sports figures are already lined up and ready to go.

UT, you need an editor.

----------------------------

Thanks for taking time out of your lives to further soccer in Canada. That must've been difficult to organize and I'm sorry I didn't contribute in any way. Next time I'd like to do so, because I have some ideas I think can improve your project and reach out to more people.

I noticed you lacked any female presence in your video. I don't think this is because you are sexist and hate women, why would I assume this? I would like to help you find women to speak on camera, to better represent Canadian fans and players as a whole.

Finally, I feel that there is too much emphasis on TFC. CSL and grassroots soccer are of equal importance and arguably more "local" than MLSE's franchise. I think next time we should try to drum up support for these causes.

Again, good first effort. Let me know how I can help with the next one.

-Sincerely,

A. Normal Person

-------------------

I think he has some decent points here. Discuss. :)

Archived