CONCACAF U20 WCQ QF - Canada vs.Mexico April 5th, 2011

jpg75

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets get one back. Just one, and then one more. One thing I notice every time our U23/20/17 play central american teams is that their first touch, passing and pass receiving is way better than ours. Until we get better at that we will struggle. Several times we have missed passes in the final third.

The announcer is starting to scoff at us.. anyway, the bunker stuff never works, why bother.. have the guts to play soccer and lose big, like Cuba, that's my final statement. It's painful to watch, embarrassing and doesn't work anyway.. put those coaches that believe in it out to pasture..

The announcer is starting to scoff at us.. anyway, the bunker stuff never works, why bother.. have the guts to play soccer and lose big, like Cuba, that's my final statement. It's painful to watch, embarrassing and doesn't work anyway.. put those coaches that believe in it out to pasture..

Exactly at this age its time to learn to play football competitively, its giving the players the wrong mindset but hey what can you do when you cant complete a throw in or two foot pass.

Blanco Jr. scores, cant believe how chubby their #10 is hahah

Now I know there are plenty of people here that can analyze a game better than me, but I suggest what contributed to the bad breakout passing is that they had very few choices forward to pass to! Mexico surrounded the poor soul and that was that..

You could have spotted our U-20s two full national team players and it wouldn't have made a difference. Credit to Mexico, who came out hard for most of the game and didn't give us a chance to catch our breath.

I have been preaching for the past two weeks the impact of the absent players. But in this game I am not sure that even they would have made a difference. This game was lost in the engine room (Midfield). The absent players would have given us a threat on the flanks and up front. But we couldn't control the the ball or orchestrate anything in central MF. Although I thought Stinson was Ok enough to make me wonder why he didn't see more action

There were patches in the 2nd half - with the right personnel on the field - which showed that we could actually pass the ball against this team. At the same time, our 1 v. 1 defending was often quite good - a lot of defenders won a hell of a lot of tackles, until they inevitably got tired at the end. Which suggests to me that the game tactic was all wrong. Bunkering has only ever worked for us with Craig Forrest in goal, why do we bother to continue with it? I'd rather lose giving these kids a chance to play their game then this same old tired unsuccessful stuff.

I've seen enough now from this coach that I wouldn't want him back. Feel sorry for the boys - they tried and played hard, to see some like Bassi being consoled by Osorio shows how much they wanted it. Despite the lack of qualification, I think there's a number of prospects on this team and the number of them on pro clubs (including those injured or denied participation by their clubs) gives me hope that they will continue to progress even though this U20 team will not. My thumbs up to them.

There were patches in the 2nd half - with the right personnel on the field - which showed that we could actually pass the ball against this team. At the same time, our 1 v. 1 defending was often quite good - a lot of defenders won a hell of a lot of tackles, until they inevitably got tired at the end. Which suggests to me that the game tactic was all wrong. Bunkering has only ever worked for us with Craig Forrest in goal, why do we bother to continue with it? I'd rather lose giving these kids a chance to play their game then this same old tired unsuccessful stuff.

I've seen enough now from this coach that I wouldn't want him back. Feel sorry for the boys - they tried and played hard, to see some like Bassi being consoled by Osorio shows how much they wanted it. Despite the lack of qualification, I think there's a number of prospects on this team and the number of them on pro clubs (including those injured or denied participation by their clubs) gives me hope that they will continue to progress even though this U20 team will not. My thumbs up to them.

If the CSA appoint Gazzola as coach of another national team I'll send hate mail to the CSA

There were patches in the 2nd half - with the right personnel on the field - which showed that we could actually pass the ball against this team.

Even that was because Mexico was closing down less aggressively.

The key problem was that our players (all of them) made bad decisions under pressure. Then it seemed to get into heads and they did things like launch throw-ins without even looking around the field to see if that Mexican is already in position to intercept it. The Mexicans took most of Canada's time away, and that means that even when we had time we usually thought we didn't.

Now I know there are plenty of people here that can analyze a game better than me, but I suggest what contributed to the bad breakout passing is that they had very few choices forward to pass to! Mexico surrounded the poor soul and that was that..

They didn't control the ball in MF so there is really nothing the fwds could do. the first half was played in Canada's end.

Yup, I completely agree that there a couple of prospects in this group and thats excluding the absent players. But then again, I have seen a few that are not.

Even that was because Mexico was closing down less aggressively.

They were closing down more aggressively beforehand because they only had one or two players to focus closing down on, so they were able to do so easily and with numbers. Throw 5 or 6 players up there like any normal team trying to play soccer would have and it's a different story. Our only positive attacking moments came when Osorio came on and was playing further up the field bringing others up with him so that Teibert & Cavallini were no longer trying to do the impossible on their own.

They didn't control the ball in MF so there is really nothing the fwds could do. the first half was played in Canada's end.

The central midfield lost possession far too often today but that was often a result of having no outlets. The flanks and forwards were too busy defending to be effective outlets. It's pretty harsh to lay the blame on the middle of the park when it was a team effort.

Yup, I completely agree that there a couple of prospects in this group and thats excluding the absent players. But then again, I have seen a few that are not.

If only a couple players come out of this team as MNT regulars then that would be on par with years past and I'd be happy with that. Going back through our U20 teams, there are usually only 2 or 3 at most that make a significant impact on the senior team:

01 - De Guzman, Friend, Klukowski

03 - Hutch, Simpson, Hume

05 - De Jong (possibly Hainault)

07 - Jackson, Johnson

Take into account that guys like McKenna, Jakovic, Occean, Nakajim-Farran and Hirschfeld, who never featured for our U20 teams, always seem to pop up out of the blue and that other guys like Simpson take a little while to really come into their own. Even though we didn't have a great showing, not all is lost for the future.

Archived