CONCACAF U20 WCQ QF - Canada vs.Mexico April 5th, 2011

jpg75

If only a couple players come out of this team as MNT regulars then that would be on par with years past and I'd be happy with that. Going back through our U20 teams, there are usually only 2 or 3 at most that make a significant impact on the senior team:

01 - De Guzman, Friend, Klukowski

03 - Hutch, Simpson, Hume

05 - De Jong (possibly Hainault)

07 - Jackson, Johnson

Take into account that guys like McKenna, Jakovic, Occean, Nakajim-Farran and Hirschfeld, who never featured for our U20 teams, always seem to pop up out of the blue and that other guys like Simpson take a little while to really come into their own. Even though we didn't have a great showing, not all is lost for the future.

My Best Bets

1) Teibert is no-brainer given that he is already a professional and starting games as pro.

2) I think Henry will still be eligible for next U20 team and show me some flashes of potential when we saw how well he covered and was able to come forward in the second half to exploit space and play a decent give and go.

Maybes

3) Osorio: Maybe...some offensive penchant and flair. But we seen similar types whose career fizzled

4 ) Latendresse Levesques: That is if he can get the bad goals out of his system. he made at least one fantastic save today. Looks good in the air, can command the box and is aggressive.

5) Stinson: was hesitant to add him because we saw so little of him. I am not saying he he starred tonight but he sure looked more composed and conformable on the ball than some of the other guys around him who played far more in this tournament. Heard he is pretty good and and TFC rate him pretty highly.

6) Rest of the back line(eg.: Grant). seldom got beaten and, of the top of my head, most of the goals against came from far out.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see the first half but the 2'nd was sad. You gotta get rid of Gazzola and Findley and anybody else responsible for selecting this team. Is this the best they could come up with? Just because a player plays overseas doesn't make them a superstar. Far from it, as its been demonstrated time and time again. Lets host it again and maybe we'll get in.

4 ) Latendresse Levesques: That is if he can get the bad goals out of his system. he made at least one fantastic save today. Looks good in the air, can command the box and is aggressive.

I think he showed that he's got the athletic ability and the natural talent and all that needs to be worked on is the mental side of the game and other teachables. Luckily he's young enough that he can continue to improve. I think he'll be a gamer in years to come.

I didn't see the first half but the 2'nd was sad. You gotta get rid of Gazzola and Findley and anybody else responsible for selecting this team. Is this the best they could come up with? Just because a player plays overseas doesn't make them a superstar. Far from it, as its been demonstrated time and time again. Lets host it again and maybe we'll get in.

Taking your point literally (ie. not considering Uruguay as overseas) then the only overseas players on the team were Gage, JLL, Santiago, Cebara and Maheu.

Counterpoint that with at least 10 other guys who play in North America alone in either the Academy system or NCAA.

Not sure your point holds. Not that I'm defending Gazzola because he's got to go. Wasn't impressed with him at all, even in the win.

Let me say after watching the game last night i was disappointed of their performance, but i think we all knew the result it was not going to favourable for us as well. As the too players preparation for this match It seemed right from the onset of the opening whistle, this team was instructed to play a defence style game sort of a texas holdem style group, where you fold your cards holding a pair of tens on your small blind, against a player that has a pair of aces in his hand and smiles at you and calls on the big blind just so you can still stay in the game and pray for those aces later on in group.

My comparison of what I saw last night was probably the last of the under 20 not qualifying past these rounds in this tournament. The reason, I have seen, and attended in the past 10 years in Italy, as being personally invited to some of the few camps I was able to go to both of their youth national programs and as well have seen Torino, Milan, Crotone, Rome, Juventus youth teams programs from the bottom up to primavera , and I can see that the impact changes with the under 17 youth team, however not quite there yet but getting real close, to that of these clubs and the youth Italy teams. What needs to been done now not later this u17 must be mimimized to a sound group of 24 – 26 players they must mature together, and very limited to outsiders (players) TO GET IN. It must be a difficult process for anyone to penetrate their program unless one they pass a intense fitness test examination of that player and YMNT must have with very high standards which can include all of these VO2, power wingate , and recovery test , Latic blood test, and endurance test, agilty test, and as well 20 and 30 meter test. This after a scouting report of several scouting person is positive to involve the coach for the final inspection of the player with his club team to put him thru the camp. Then your on the right track of improvement as that is what they do there in Italy.

This removes any infection of poor invitations and choice just made by a phone call to invite someone.

This U20 is a phone call team sorry to say that but its the truth not anywhere close to the Italian sector as I'm sure that too outside of my rage of statement to compare with. They are noticabliy behind as they are in Europe and far behind in this age as a group to compete, but I do see it a big huge difference with the U17 where I am very confident that with some adjustments I mentioned, they will be the next under 20 team get past these quarters and possibly be contenders to win it all mark my words it will happen

This is not a coach thing. I think its maybe a money thing to involve something like this but why not to insure that the physcally impact of being the best as well combined with their noticeable abilty to play the game visual?

Taking your point literally (ie. not considering Uruguay as overseas) then the only overseas players on the team were Gage, JLL, Santiago, Cebara and Maheu.

Counterpoint that with at least 10 other guys who play in North America alone in either the Academy system or NCAA.

Not sure your point holds. Not that I'm defending Gazzola because he's got to go. Wasn't impressed with him at all, even in the win.

IMHO I think that his point does hold. On an individual basis, you will find some cases whereby the european based player acquitted himself well this time. But there have been

many examples over the past ten years whereby I got the impression that certain players were there for no other reason than the fact that they were in Europe. But if we were to look at at each group collectively, I thought that the domestic academy based players are the once who fared the best this time around. This is even more evident if you factor in the U17 performances.

Bottom line, we don't know very much about the european based players and I strongly suspect that the coaches and selectors do not know all that much more about them than we do.

I would generally agree with this. Players to watch out for from this u20 group?

LEVESSSSK, Tell-bert, Gage, Cavallini, Osorio. That's it. The rest simply weren't good enough. Will those 5 be good enough? Probably 1 or 2 of them long-term. Will new players of this age turn up? YES! Ones we don't know about - ie, the lad in Russia.??

FWIW, 3 of the 5 'Euro' players (JLL, Gage and Maheu) come from either TFC or Vancouver academies.

The Uruguay contingent was scouted by Rafa Carbajal, who according to Dino physically travelled to scout them in person.

El Hombre, you are short-changing that 2001 U20 team. Hume and Hutchison were in that stellar group before their 2nd stint, along with Nsaliwa, Pozniak and Gerba, all of whom have had a hand in contributing to our senior side (Nsaliwa and Pozniak in particular were a part of our gaining 3rd place in the 2002(?) Gold Cup, when we beat South Korea.

El Hombre, you are short-changing that 2001 U20 team. Hume and Hutchison were in that stellar group before their 2nd stint, along with Nsaliwa, Pozniak and Gerba, all of whom have had a hand in contributing to our senior side (Nsaliwa and Pozniak in particular were a part of our gaining 3rd place in the 2002(?) Gold Cup, when we beat South Korea.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I think I just compared the U20 World Cup team to who plays on the senior team now. I don't think Gerba made it to the show with that U20 team for some reason. As it was a quick research session during the break in last night's game, I probably missed someone here and there. I'll blame it on the beer.

My main point was that just so long as 1 or 2 of these kids make it as senior internationals, we'll be alright. It's never been the case where U20 success/failure has led to MNT success/failure. Kids are passed over for whatever reason, others mature later and then there is the odd player that comes out of nowhere.

IMHO I think that his point does hold. On an individual basis, you will find some cases whereby the european based player acquitted himself well this time. But there have been

many examples over the past ten years whereby I got the impression that certain players were there for no other reason than the fact that they were in Europe. But if we were to look at at each group collectively, I thought that the domestic academy based players are the once who fared the best this time around. This is even more evident if you factor in the U17 performances.

I definitely agree this happened in the past but this time around, as this was Gazzola's first crack at U20 qualification (and I'm hoping last), I don't think it's evident that he favoured European based players over NA based players. In fact, with the number of NCAA players that were picked, one could probably put together a decent case that we relied a little too heavily on NA players.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I think I just compared the U20 World Cup team to who plays on the senior team now. I don't think Gerba made it to the show with that U20 team for some reason. As it was a quick research session during the break in last night's game, I probably missed someone here and there. I'll blame it on the beer.

My main point was that just so long as 1 or 2 of these kids make it as senior internationals, we'll be alright. It's never been the case where U20 success/failure has led to MNT success/failure. Kids are passed over for whatever reason, others mature later and then there is the odd player that comes out of nowhere.

I agree with your main point. Just wanted to point out how strong that 2001 U20 core was.

Not that it matters but head coach discovered most of the players from Uruguay. Cavallini, Osorio and Grant all played for Clarkson in OYSL this past summer. Head coach watched them for a few games and was impressed by them. Not sure where Dino received his information about those players.

I beleive coach Carbajal went down to see the right back who didnt play this past game. I cant recall his name.

Also would things be different if we had Janeil Hoillet for these games. He was a big part of previous camps and I think he would have helped. I am also sure that Ashtone Morgane would have helped for 100 percent.

I kind of disagree with some and think our back four or back five was "decent" during the tournament. They made mistakes but this is what happens when u defend for most of the game. I thought our midfield lacked consistency, patience and creativity.

Who knows?

Not that it matters but head coach discovered most of the players from Uruguay. Cavallini, Osorio and Grant all played for Clarkson in OYSL this past summer. Head coach watched them for a few games and was impressed by them. Not sure where Dino received his information about those players.

I beleive coach Carbajal went down to see the right back who didnt play this past game. I cant recall his name.

Andres Fresenga is the RB.

The Clarkson kids went down to train with Nacional back in 2009, Dino found out back then and made the V's aware of them in the MOACA thread. I assume Carbajal (who was friends with Dino before taking the Milltown job) would have been aware of their ties to Uruguay (his "homeland") prior to joining the U20 staff.

Holy frickin' upsets! I checked the odds on Bet365 before the US game and they were paying Guatemala 7.00 and US 1.44 to win.

Maybe they'll fire Rongen and we can hire him!?

"Blame for the team’s failed World Cup bid will fall on beleaguered head coach Thomas Rongen, who has done an excellent job of identifying new prospects, but who followed up a disappointing tournament showing in the 2009 Under-20 World Cup with failing to make the event at all.

U.S. Soccer officials will have to decide whether the work Rongen has done to attract some new prospects to the national team, such as German-Born midfielder Fabian Hurzeler, is enough to counter what must be seen as disappointing on-field results by the U.S. Under-20 team."

The US is having a very poor year on all fronts, women, girls and boys. Let's make it absolutely miserable with a win in Detroit.

I wonder what the chances are of us hosting U20 WCQ?

Hosting should not be that difficult to achieve. It seems like it's one of those "if you want it, they will give it to you". We hosted the U20 WCQ in 2001. The only challenge for Canada is climate. Since it often occurs in the winter or early spring time, it's hard to find a suitable climate other than in Victoria at that time of the year. Victoria was the host in 2001

Archived