Gold Cup 2011 Squad

Sam

Tam wouldn't even be eligible for the GC...as for friendlies, I wouldn't mind calling him up as long as there's atleast a slim chance he gets his citizenship back.

From my perspective I think it's over, but usually you find a comment or two about him when similar threads have been brought up.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We could use one spot at each position to bring in someone to cap tie them. For example, bring in JLL or Stillo instead of Wagenaar, someone else instead of Peters, a forward instead of Occean, something like that.

Who out there needs to be cap tied?

As for the other players, I would want to make sure that SH brings his starting eleven plus 6 that he plans to ride for WCQ, no matter if they are in mid-season or preseason.

Besides Hoillet, which legitimate potential difference makers are a threat to choose another country over us?

Besides Hoillet, which legitimate potential difference makers are a threat to choose another country over us?

Stop thinking about difference makers. Just do what the US does. Cap everyone in sight. Take one player who is eligible for a CONCACAF rival on defense (Morgan)...grab players like those. Cap em once, just in case.

Stop thinking about difference makers. Just do what the US does. Cap everyone in sight. Take one player who is eligible for a CONCACAF rival on defense (Morgan)...grab players like those. Cap em once, just in case.

Way to use the little quality time we have with our players by playing lesser player because we're afraid of loosing them. I can understand giving a run out to the reserves on the third group stage (if we are already through or eliminated) but players who are on the squad for the GC should be our top players among those who are available.

Way to use the little quality time we have with our players by playing lesser player because we're afraid of loosing them. I can understand giving a run out to the reserves on the third group stage (if we are already through or eliminated) but players who are on the squad for the GC should be our top players among those who are available.

If you take one player at each position, you're not wasting quality time. You're being smart about it. The CSA has allowed this to go on for far too long.

If you take one player at each position, you're not wasting quality time. You're being smart about it. The CSA has allowed this to go on for far too long.

What about the risk of having good players being frustrated for being left out for lesser players?

Hard to say where I stand on the capping debate, but here are some players we (may) have legitimate concerns about:

Major Concerns:

Jono De Guzman (Holland)

Junior Hoillett (Jamaica, England?)

Milan Borjan (Serbia)

Moderate Concerns:

Haidar Al-Shaibani (Algeria)

O'Brien White (Jamaica)

Minor Concerns:

Eddy Sidra (Sudan)

David Edgar (England, potentially one of the other British Home Nations, anybody know his grand-parents place(s) of birth?)

Roberto Stillo (Italy)

I'm sure I'm missing some, help me out.

Unless I'm mistaken, if Jono DeGuzman shows up he will have to signed the FIFA papers for a switch. No concern there, he could sit on the bench for the whole GC and still be ours forever!

There is no debate for Junior, he would be among our top 3 players so he could play anytime healthy.

Borjan is the only one we could lose if he was going to be a back up for the whole tournament.

White has played for Jamaica, so we "lost" him.

Someone fill me in on what exactly is going on regarding cap tying those players.

Are they not invited to play at friendlies and these tournaments? Or do these players decline? I'm trying to understand where things are going wrong and how this all works.

Also, in order to cap tie, the player needs to play in a match for the nations? Friendlies included?

thanks.

Someone fill me in on what exactly is going on regarding cap tying those players.

Are they not invited to play at friendlies and these tournaments? Or do these players decline? I'm trying to understand where things are going wrong and how this all works.

Also, in order to cap tie, the player needs to play in a match for the nations? Friendlies included?

thanks.

We can only cap tie players in official senior international competition (Gold Cup, World Cup qualifiers, Confederations Cup, World Cup). Friendlies don't count.

Alright I get that then. Just trying to get why they aren't playing for us then.

The only thing I could find on Hoilett, was a piece back in June stating he wanted to play for Canada. So this is still a confusion to me. I don't follow the EPL, but if he's the quality player I'm believing, then I just don't get why the CSA doesn't have his number near the top of their speed dial for these events.

I'm sure there is more to this I don't understand yet, politics and what have you I guess?

People say lots of things about whether they want to play for Canada or not when it's convenient for them; they don't always live up to that. Hart has mentioned in the past that he's talked to Hoilett and Jono de Guzman, they just don't want to play for us right now. de Guzman still wants to play for the Netherlands (I admire his loyalty, in a way) and Hoilett is "concentrating on his club career" which we're all afraid is code for "waiting to see if Jamaica winds up being better than Canada".

Is Jamaica actually appearing that they could be a WCQ threat? Are we? I feel from what I've read that we have a younger team of decent talent ready to prove how good they are on the world level. Seems as if we have some potential, but I could just be getting lost in some forum members hopes and dreams. haha.

We can beat Jamaica on any given day just the same as how they can beat us on any given day. We're fairly even and have played usually to draws or to close score lines (1-0 us at GC2009, 1-1 @ BMO Field WCQ2008, etc...). Now, if we have Massih Wassey on the field, things are a little different.

Right now we're in a transition phase to a degree. Former stalwarts like Stalteri and Radzinski are making way for younger players like Straith and Jackson. Hart has also done a great job in improving our player pool depth by introducing players like Pedro Pacheco, Haidar Al-Shaibani, Eddy Sidra, etc... I think if we are given good preparation time we will have an excellent run at this upcoming Gold Cup. As long as we don't draw Honduras in the quarters *again* and have dubious penalties called against us *again*.

We can beat Jamaica on any given day just the same as how they can beat us on any given day. We're fairly even and have played usually to draws or to close score lines (1-0 us at GC2009, 1-1 @ BMO Field WCQ2008, etc...). Now, if we have Massih Wassey on the field, things are a little different.

Right now we're in a transition phase to a degree. Former stalwarts like Stalteri and Radzinski are making way for younger players like Straith and Jackson. Hart has also done a great job in improving our player pool depth by introducing players like Pedro Pacheco, Haidar Al-Shaibani, Eddy Sidra, etc... I think if we are given good preparation time we will have an excellent run at this upcoming Gold Cup. As long as we don't draw Honduras in the quarters *again* and have dubious penalties called against us *again*.

I'm really excited for the Gold Cup, lets be honest like most nations in the region (Mexico won the CC in 1999, also made a Copa America final and the States made the final in 2009) it is our one chance for our trophy. I know our boys want that trophy and I'm confident that we'll put our best foot forward. We should have beat Honduras, bad call or not we should have scored in that game and then beat them.

This is going to be the first Gold Cup as Tuscan said for a new crop of players, Jackson included as he didn't play much in 2009. De Guzman needs to step back into form before WCQ and we need to start winning some matches. I think it is stupid to just say "oh we are building for WCQ"... WCQ is this year though so its too late to "build". Come Gold Cup time we should have our A team, win the damn thing and then head into WCQ on a high. *fingers crossed*

I did watch that match, that phantom call on the PK was agonizing!

Our team cannot be afraid of Honduras, we have to conquer all but the big 2 as best we can. As a fan you don't want to see them though, they always get the calls.

I think it is stupid to just say "oh we are building for WCQ"... WCQ is this year though so its too late to "build". Come Gold Cup time we should have our A team, win the damn thing and then head into WCQ on a high. *fingers crossed*

Our goal for this GC is simple: to have the best team available so we can win this damn tournament.

And with that, and the inevitable injury stuff or "what-have-you" that leads to guys not being available, Hart will probably be going down the depth chart further than he may have wanted. So be it, but the silver lining to that cloud is that new guys may get officially cap tied and help us win.

We need to build a mentality of winning and for us to do that we need guys who are 100% committed to this program right now, not sitting on the fence or f*cking with us because they are looking for a better offer or opportunity elsewhere. Those type of players are clearly "me" guys and when adversity inevitably arises they become poisonous to your whole operation. Let's build it with "we" guys, and of those guys let them earn their places based on merit/performance and/or how they contribute to the MNT winning now.

^ damn right.

Venues for GC was announced last week. Detroit here we come!

First Round

June 5 – Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, TX)

June 6 – The Home Depot Center (Carson, CA)

June 7 – Ford Field (Detroit, MI)

June 9 – Bank of America Stadium (Charlotte, NC)

June 10 – FIU Stadium (Miami, FL)

June 11 – Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, FL)

June 12 – Soldier Field (Chicago, IL)

June 13 – Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ)

June 14 – KC Soccer Stadium (Kansas City, KS)

Quarterfinals

June 18 – New Meadowlands Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ)

June 19 – Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (Washington D.C.)

Semifinals

June 22 – Reliant Stadium (Houston, TX)

Final

June 25 – Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA)

Archived