Gold Cup 2011 Squad

Sam

This brings us to another question, how does Hart utilize the lone forward?

As Bearcatsa said DeRo's not a hold up man who can play well with his back to goal, but is that the role of the center forward in Hart's system? Are we playing with a target man?

We have 10 behind the ball with the forward waiting near the center circle as a counter-attacking outlet. We regain possession. What happens next?

We play the ball to the forward's body, while he holds it up and dishes off to an onrushing midfielder. The forward would then break into the box and look for a return cross in the area....

Or

Do we play a through-ball into space, where the forward then collects the pass on the run, and tries to either break for the wing and put in a cross himself, take on a defender and shoot or play a square ball to a midfielder.

I'd say Canada plays much more the latter, which is why Hart has tried all manner of short skilful players in that role (Hume, Jackson, Issey) and players like Friend, who would thrive on the first option, have struggled.

Likewise, rather than get down the wings and put in crosses for the center forward to attack in the air, our wingers tend to cut towards goal whenever possible and be given a freer role to play in the middle of the park (as Simpson and Jackson demonstrated against the Ukraine). Our fullbacks do not have license to get forward and swing in crosses, the obvious way to utilize a big man in the box if your wingers are not providing this service.

Overall I think Hart has created some confusion with the role of the forward in our system versus the forward's role in a traditional 4-5-1.

If he wants to play a big man up top, the team will need to adapt tactics to utilize this player correctly. What's an easier fix imo, especially given our depth of smaller attacking players, is to keep playing the way we have been but stop trying to fit a traditional big center forward into a non traditional role. That's why I think DeRo given his skills is a good fit as our forward, or at least a worthwhile experiment :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK:

Lars Hirschfeld

Milan Borjan

Haidar Al-Shaibani

Def:

Mike Klukowski

Paul Stalteri

Kevin McKenna

Dejan Jankovic

David Edgar

Marcel de Jong

Adam Straith

Nana Attakora

Mid:

Jamie Peters

Julian de Guzman

Dwayne De Rosario

Will Johnson

Terry Dunfield

Josh Simpson

Patrice Bernier

Atiba Hutchinson

Fwd:

Simeon Jackson

Ali Gerba

Rob Friend

Iain Hume

• 1 month later...

I'll use a roster of 20. Here are my players

GK Borjan

GK Al-Shabaini

CB Jakovic

CB McKenna

CB Straith

DF Edgar

LB Klukowski

LB de Jong

RB Peters

MF Johnson

MF de Guzman

MF Bernier

MF Hutchinson

MF Pacheco

MF/FW de Rosario

LW Simpson

RW/ST Jackson

ST Hume

ST Gerba

ST Occean

My omissions (not counting players that are not commited):

Pozniak and Hirschfeld (Summer leagues in Europe, would be suprised if they make it) FYI Pozniak would be there instead of Straith

Friend (honnestly, it's between him, Pacheco and the 3 strikers)

Stalteri (age and not playing for a club make him an easy guy to omit)

I think it was in a post by Sam regarding the comment Hart made about perhaps trying Josh up top as the center forward, which would then leave the left wing open. I don't know if it would play into Josh's strengths, as he plays on the left wing with Manisaspor and is obviously comfortable there. He does have delicious ball control and 1v1 skillz (oh ya, hawt enough for a z), and is excellent at creating his own space (there were a few times when he had the ball near or in the Greek box where he created space for himself out of nothing with two guys on him). Maybe if we can squeeze one more friendly in after Belarus and before the GC we could try him out as the center forward.

If not then Gerba needs to be looked at again. I know Hart has already said that he is waiting for Ali G to get some games in to bring his match fitness back (it takes a bit to burn off the millions of calories I'm sure our friend Ali has pounded back over the off-season).

Archived