Gold Cup 2011 Squad

Sam

Well I guess I can go to California if we make the finals.. But I doubt I will have the funds. No love for the northwest :(

I made a list of what I would consider "possible" call ups for the gold cup.

GK:

D.Monsalve

G.Sutton

Kenny S.

Lars H.

M.Borjan

M.Misiewicz

J.Santiago

K.Gracey

J.Latendresse

R.Stillo

D:

K.McKenna

P.Stalteri

A.Straith

M.De Jong

M.Klukowski

C.Pozniak

A.Hainault

D.Jakovic

D.Edgar

A.Serioux

A.Cann

N.Attakora

A.Jazic

K.Owusu-Ansah

M.Trafford

M:

Pacheco

J.Peters

J.De Guzman

DeRo

J.Bourgault

D.Imhof

I.Nakajima-Farran

T.Radzinski

G.McCallum

J.Bernier

W.Johnson

JDG2 (Not likely)

A.Hutchinson

J.Simpson

N.Ledgerwood

T.Dunfield

A.Ornoch

M.Wassey

Jan.Hoilett

F.Lassonde

G.Zavarise

D.Simpson

FW:

R.Friend

O.Occean

J.Uccello

S.Jackson

M.Haber

I.Hume

A.Gerba

Jr.Hoilett

F.Jonke

T.Ricketts

S.Ademolu

Now just to narrow that down to 23.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What should be the criteria for a MNT call up? Nikolas is not playing a lot lately, has not started a game in quite some time (at least 1 month) at german 3rd division level. I am in support of giving every player his chance, but should there be a minimum playing time requirement (that should count for McKenna, too, hopefully he has a successful comeback and gains a starting spot)?

Nik Ledgerwood could be an interesting one, I think he and Terry Dunfield might find themselves battling it out for one of the final spots in the midfield

He was interesting for me when he wasn't getting called but was playing in B2. Now that I saw him a couple times in 2010, and now that he struggles for minutes in B3, I can honestly say that I don't see him being any type of saviour for us in midfield. Maybe injury coverage but certainly not starting. If he gets really established at club level, then revisit him, but I think his career is heading in the opposite direction, to be honest.

And if there are no decent established players, then give the job to a younger up-and-comer like the US seem to like doing with their experimental squads.

And if there are no decent established players, then give the job to a younger up-and-comer like the US seem to like doing with their experimental squads.

It would be interesting to have a Senior MNT camp in January with the best young players from the 4 teams. See what's going on there, just like the US is doing. Players from the first teams but also f rom the academies.

Nik Ledgerwood could be an interesting one, I think he and Terry Dunfield might find themselves battling it out for one of the final spots in the midfield

Ledgerwood isn't close to Dunfield right now, one is going to be playing in MLS in 2011 and the other recently fell from B2 to B3 and still doesn't get many minutes. Ledgerwood hasn't impressed me either for the nats, it seems even players like Pacheco and Bourgault have passed him in the midfield depth chart.

I see Pacheco has 6 sub ins (Santa Clara have 12 league matches played) 1 red card (double yellow) and only 159 minutes played. Imhof/DeGuz/Hutch/Simpson/Johnson for a 5 man midfield sounds decent to me.

I thought Imhof was retired. I know he played that one match in Argentina, but it was because many players couldn't go. The following link shows you that he is.

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?37815-Daniel-Imhof-retires-from-National-Team&p=319265&viewfull=1

That stinks, I'd never read that before. Maybe have Klukowski as a wingback, Johnson as a holding right mid with a 3 CB (Jakovic, Edgar and Straith/McKenna) with De Jong-Simpson-De Guzman-Hutch with Friend spearheading.

Alot is going to change from here to the Gold Cup after club seasons and MNT matches but I'd go with this if it started today (everyone healthy and guessing we are missing Lars):

-------------------Borjan-------------------------

Attakora----McKenna-----Jakovic----Klukowski

-----------------Johnson--------------------------

----------De Guzman---Hutchinson--------------

Jackson--------------------------------Simpson

-------------------Gerba------------------------------

Bench/Reserves:

Sutton

Al Shaibani

Hainault

De Jong

Stalteri

Straith

Dunfield

Hume

Friend

Nakajima

Bernier

You can argue for Straith or Stalteri over Nana but both have been out of favour at their clubs. Johnson is just the ball winner we need alongside or mid stars De Guzman and Hutchinson... of course in a perfect world De Guzman would play holding mid and De Ro would play good for the MNT alongside Hutch. Jackson and Simpson im sure no one will argue against. Gerba has consistently scored for his new club and for the MNT, with Friend not starting for Hertha anymore he lost pretty much the only thing that would put him above Ali.

22 players right there... and Im still leaving out players like De Rosario, Cann, Edgar, Ledgerwood, Bourgault, Pacheco, Peters, Hoilett, Haber, Uccello, Ricketts. Im sure the depth for this cycle will pay off.

^Nice team, can't argue with that except I think Hart will favour two holding mids. Johnson's a solid ball-winner but I think Bernier should be a lock after recent performances. Assuming over the next while that Gerba has a glorious falling out with his club/manager which limits his playing time and Hart wants to bring in DeRo, I say play DeRo alone up top. He has some pace, can create and finish and as a forward he can have license to roam and play selfishly where it will have the least negative impact to the team's shape. In the Ukraine match we saw Occean and then Haber get into some dangerous 1v1 opportunities (created by nice through balls on the deck) where someone like DeRo might very well have torched his marker and had a shot at goal. I can't remember any decent crosses that game, so if our wide players are unable to deliver crosses, why play slow big man up top?

--------------Bernier---DeGuzman--------------

-----------------Hutchinson---------------------

------------------DeRosario---------------------

I'd also like to see Sidra and Peters in the mix again. Attacking fullbacks are in style for a reason.

^ I like that lineup a lot. I think Hutchinson would do well as an attacking mid with some combination of DeGuz plus Bernie, Dunfield or Johnson behind him. I might start Friend or Gerba up front though, and have DeRo as a sub for Hutch or either of the wingers. I think you need someone big up front to challenge the keeper on any crosses.

^ I like that lineup a lot. I think Hutchinson would do well as an attacking mid with some combination of DeGuz plus Bernie, Dunfield or Johnson behind him. I might start Friend or Gerba up front though, and have DeRo as a sub for Hutch or either of the wingers. I think you need someone big up front to challenge the keeper on any crosses.

Its just too risky to throw in DeRo up top. He isn't a proven scorer or even performer for the nats and we don't need him, he'd be better off as a sub for a winger late in the game.

^Nice team, can't argue with that except I think Hart will favour two holding mids. Johnson's a solid ball-winner but I think Bernier should be a lock after recent performances. Assuming over the next while that Gerba has a glorious falling out with his club/manager which limits his playing time and Hart wants to bring in DeRo, I say play DeRo alone up top. He has some pace, can create and finish and as a forward he can have license to roam and play selfishly where it will have the least negative impact to the team's shape. In the Ukraine match we saw Occean and then Haber get into some dangerous 1v1 opportunities (created by nice through balls on the deck) where someone like DeRo might very well have torched his marker and had a shot at goal. I can't remember any decent crosses that game, so if our wide players are unable to deliver crosses, why play slow big man up top?

I'd also like to see Sidra and Peters in the mix again. Attacking fullbacks are in style for a reason.

A good lineup, of course it's subject to player availability! I don't know if I would start Dero there but it's a good consideration! RB is another position we have to sort out, Nana can play there but it's not his strongest position, Peters was playing there earlier in the season, not anymore and until someone grabs that position as theirs we have to consider Hutchinson there! There's some time to get this sorted out but we cannot have a weak link at any of the defender positions!

I'd like to see Pacheco and Dunfield in the squad, even if Pacheco played only 159 minutes with Santa Clara so far (that the history of Canadian players anyway). I think they deserve another look, give them some PT during the GC and if they still impress, they should be considered for the WCQ squad.

On another note, this tournament should serve as well to cap tie good potential NMT players, Borjan is the first that comes in mind.

EDIT: BTW, great avatar pic Soju!! I like it.

I would take DeRo out and insert Friend (Josh and Simeon would surely give him service from the wings, with Hutch at the top of the box to hopefully collect any balls headed out by their D), and take out Jakovic and insert either Straith or Hainault. So basically:

---------------------Borjan-------------------------

Attakora------McKenna-----Straith------Klukowski

---------------Bernier---DeGuzman--------------

------------------Hutchinson---------------------

--------------------Friend-----------------------

Its just too risky to throw in DeRo up top. He isn't a proven scorer or even performer for the nats and we don't need him, he'd be better off as a sub for a winger late in the game.

I'm not sure why you'd say that; maybe he's not a proven game winner for us but he has 15 goals for Canada, scored with his head and both feet from inside and outside the box. Aside from Gerba who also has 15 (with a better strike rate) DeRo is the most proven scorer in our current setup.

I don't see DeRo in that centre forward role, either. He's at his best finding 1 v 1 match ups in space, usually from deeper positions or on the flank but you don't get those opportunities leading the line of attack in our current playing style and as observers like De Vos have noted, he's not comfortable with his back to goal under close scrutiny from an opposing CB. I thought he played his best for the MNT when at the GC 07 as a flank player down the left and committing himself to that task. However, he's in competition with younger, in form guns at the moment (Simpson on the left, Jackson on the right) and I would prefer to let Hutchinson build on his performance in the Ukraine as an attacking mid. Not dismissing him, however: just trying to find a way to use DeRo more effectively at NT level

I don't see DeRo in that centre forward role, either. He's at his best finding 1 v 1 match ups in space, usually from deeper positions or on the flank but you don't get those opportunities leading the line of attack in our current playing style and as observers like De Vos have noted, he's not comfortable with his back to goal under close scrutiny from an opposing CB. I thought he played his best for the MNT when at the GC 07 as a flank player down the left and committing himself to that task. However, he's in competition with younger, in form guns at the moment (Simpson on the left, Jackson on the right) and I would prefer to let Hutchinson build on his performance in the Ukraine as an attacking mid. Not dismissing him, however: just trying to find a way to use DeRo more effectively at NT level

This ^

The last time DeRo played well for the nats was in 2007 in that wing role then come WCQ he struggled in it. Right now the wings seem to be one of the few positions locked down with Simpson and Jackson.

Archived